This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Career And Celiac

DRceliac

DRceliac Newbie

I never thought having Celiac would stop me from advancing in my career and in my life. Sadly I might not get hired for a job in Law enforcement because they stated " Symptoms and signs of organic upper digestive tract disease may be disqualifying." So I'm stuck in a job I dislike because I have Celiac and they think I can't function. Guess I'm going to lie and act like I'm ok because I'm tired of being broke in a job I can't bare to continue. It's so hard to deal with Celiac and see all it's taken away. :angry::(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

1) It says MAY. Have you called to inquire? Or have a third party call if you don't want to "out" yourself.

2) Many times you will find that if you adhere to treatment, these issues are non issues because your Dr. will sign off on them. 

I wouldn't give up just yet.

kareng Grand Master

Sometimes, if you have been successfully treating the Celiac, you would qualify. You would need to show that your yearly antibodies are normal. If the job doesn't require special accommodations - like feeding you- I don't see why it wouldn't be Ok.

IrishHeart Veteran

If you are feeling fine post-diagnosis, your disease is in remission, so I do not see how on earth that would disqualify you.

You are not depending on them to feed you. Celiac isn't contagious.

The wording is "may", not "definitely will" disqualify you.

Get yourself a note from your doctor saying you are dietary compliant --and have no active celiac disease, which in turn means no "digestive problems". That way, if you need to use it, you have proof it is not an issue that would impede your ability to do the job..

If that does not work, I'd speak to a union rep or a lawyer.

This is discriminatory. IMO and you should not give up before you even know what may happen.

KCG91 Enthusiast

You can be disqualified from a job for symptoms of a digestive problem?! Well, I hope the powers that be never get the runs...

Sort of along the lines of what the others were saying, we have a family friend who emigrated permanently to Australia from the UK despite being diagnosed with MS (As I understand it that would usually get you barred). He did it by proving that a number of things (including a gluten-free diet as it happens) kept the condition in remission and that he wasn't deteriorating. Good luck!

Archived