This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Need To Vent.... I'm Apologize In Advance..

ezgoindude

ezgoindude Explorer

Maybe theres a better place for this post, but I am just about defeated today.

I'm in sprouts buying my all organic veggies for paleo grub, and I bump into one of my old friends. Long story short he's so worried over my weight loss he says I look like high school all over again and asked, "are you taking hard drugs man?"

You gotta be joking, but he's right (not about the drugs ha)

Then I'm trying to cook dinner which is an hour plus event in itself from all the pans I'm using and my room mate brings friends over. Awkward stares, room mate says "oh he's allergic to food".

Uuuuugh would the ignorance just go away!!

It's just exhausting when I eat and eat to still be 140lbs, and as a 25 yo having people quickly judge as an eating disorder or using hard drugs.

I'm nothing but blessed to be getting my health slowly back from this mysterious disease but it's days like this I wanna curl into a ball and eat Panda Express all day. (Which is all toxic gluten....jeesh)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hang in there!   I am so sorry that your roommate and his buddies are so insensitive!  

GottaSki Mentor

Wish I could say these instances will stop one day soon...not likely :(

What I can tell you is while there will likely be the ill informed....your perspective will change with time.

Thankfully, I can actually laugh off sarcastic remarks rather than pretend to as I did during my first few years gluten-free.

Hang in there :)

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I can't give much advice about the remarks, weird looks, etc because I just got a positive diagnosis today. But I will say that I have been slowly removing gluten from my diet (more so over the last few days after getting the blood work done), and it is hard. I spent 45 minutes at the grocery store getting 3 days worth of groceries cuz I had to check every label (it used to take me 30 minutes to get about 2 weeks worth), and some people did give me looks as I kept looking at labels for a second and putting things back down getting frustrated. On the other hand, I was looking at gluten-free pasta as this guy comes down the aisle, stops for a split second, grabs some gluten-free pasta without looking, and moves on to sauces. I had a brief convo with him, and it was nice to talk to someone that actually understands celiac (even if it was just "which pasta is good?" And him telling me that certain ones need extra cooking). That alone gives me hope that it won't be all bad. :-)

GF Lover Rising Star

When he says "He's allergic to food", just say....and you're allergic to Intelligence.  Learn how to play the "Smack Down" game if people take jabs at you.  They will get the point quickly that way.

Good Luck

Colleen

CathyO Rookie

ezgoindude, 

I understand what you're saying.  I'm 60, so a little bit older (just a little bit).  But, I lost a lot of weight, and looked very unhealthy. People noticed. Some asked if I was going to "live". I was in and out of the hospital.

Having a diagnosis helped me ... I could say "Yeah, I'm pretty sick. I have Celiac Disease, and it is really serious for me. I'm starting to get better.  Thanks for asking."

I reckon most people wouldn't think a 60 year old would be using drugs.  ;-)
But it still didn't stop the comments from being hurtful.

Your roommate sounds like an insensitive buffoon.  Not worth worrying about what they say or think.

You've got this .... you're on the road to recovery and good health.

Time to celebrate!

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

I don't know what your situation is, but is it possible to find a better roommate eventually? There needs to be a site where someone can look for gluten-free roommates. I wonder if anything like that exists?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ezgoindude Explorer

Sup everybody!

It was my day off so by nature it's a better day... I like the allergic to intelligence, lol. Yea all my current room mates eat nothing but fast food so I do plan to get an apartment on my own this august to have a cleaner kitchen for myself.

Aside from my bathroom problems it has been a much bigger shock that people you think you are so close with can say such stupid crap. My weight has been traumatic enough, I have a family reunion this June and I'm just dreading....

Thanks for your replies, it helps resolve I'm not just an a$$ to other people

notme Experienced

i feel ya.  for years i was overhearing that i had anorexia or bulimia.  at my worst, everyone thought i was dying of cancer.  yayyyyy...........

now, if i hear anyone say "gluten free" in *that* tone of voice, i tell them: " i'm *sooooo* sorry my life-threatening disease is an inconvenience to *you*"

:D

nvsmom Community Regular

now, if i hear anyone say "gluten free" in *that* tone of voice, i tell them: " i'm *sooooo* sorry my life-threatening disease is an inconvenience to *you*"

LOL  :lol: I like that one!

Sometime people say and do stupid things when faced with illnesses or poor health, and some people are just stupid.... You friends will sort themselves out eventually. Yeah, some of them will still roll their eyes and slip in the snide remarks - it comes from ignorance. As you get more comfortable with the diet comments will just slide off of you, or you'll get a really good arsenal of comebacks to draw from. 

Hang in there

Celiacandme Apprentice

I agree with the others. Hang in there. You'll get used to this and soon you'll hardly notice the ignorant comments. Or even feeling better will help them not bother you as much. People just do not understand. Give your time and attention to the ones that at least try to. Good luck on your apartment search!

Archived