This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breast Tenderness

across

across Contributor

With the exception of about three weeks of some gluten exposure that ended about two weeks ago, I have been off gluten for six months. (The reason for the expose was that we had plumbing problems and I was having to eat out almost every meal).

For the post two weeks, my breasts have been extremely tender.  I used to have this problem around my cycles, and when I was drinking a lot of caffeine I had it severely and constantly, but once I got off gluten and caffeine, I never got this symptom anymore.

I'm just wondering if this could be a remnant of my recent gluten exposure, or if something else might be going on. I didn't actually have this problem during the three weeks I was getting glutened -- only after.

There is no chance that I'm pregnant. I've had a hysterectomy.

What has been your experience (if any) with breast tenderness?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenfreeliac Collaborator

This is weird -- and I think rare -- but when I indulge in too much caffeine, this happens to me. It got so bad, I quit caffeine entirely for several years. Now I drink it on occasion, but not in large quantities.

Wi11ow Apprentice

I've always had it about a week before. Sometimes it hurts just to have my own arm brush against them. No idea how long I've had C, but my C symptoms started maybe 3 or 4 years ago.  I just got dx. The tenderness lasts a couple days so I don't think it has to do with gluten, but the tenderness has been worse in the last couple years. I don't know if it is related or not.

kareng Grand Master

If you are on any  hormone replacements, perhaps you need to check with the doctor and see if the dosage needs to be changed?  As our damaged intestines heal, we absorb better.  That includes medications.

If this continues much longer, you will want to see the doctor anyway.  He/she may want to send you for a mamogram.

GF Lover Rising Star

I've had cycles of breast pain for many years.  I have also had a hysterectomy but have my ovaries.  It seems very cyclical to me.  Recently I haven't had the tenderness at all but I am going into menopause so maybe it has to do with the ovaries.  Spooky :ph34r:

It's not connected to food in any case.  Could be that my ovaries caused it or could just be my wacky immune system.  As long as your yearly Mammograms are good you probably don't need to worry, IMHO.  Give it a mention to your Gyno if it continues to concern you.

Colleen

nvsmom Community Regular

Funnily enough, I never had pms breast tenderness until after I went gluten-free at age 38. I'm another who doesn't want anything touching them when they are sore.  And taking off a bra at the end off the day? Ouch! I suppose I could be approaching menopause, but my cycles are much much more regular after going gluten-free and getting the optimal treat ment for my thyroid so I doubt that would be it.

GF Lover Rising Star

Funnily enough, I never had pms breast tenderness until after I went gluten-free at age 38. I'm another who doesn't want anything touching them when they are sore.  And taking off a bra at the end off the day? Ouch! I suppose I could be approaching menopause, but my cycles are much much more regular after going gluten-free and getting the optimal treat ment for my thyroid so I doubt that would be it.

Taking the bra off, YES, OUCH.  I tell my hubs "step away from the boobs" lol.  I more often times than not sleep in my bra.  

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL. :D

across Contributor

This is weird -- and I think rare -- but when I indulge in too much caffeine, this happens to me. It got so bad, I quit caffeine entirely for several years. Now I drink it on occasion, but not in large quantities.

Actually, that's not rare at all. In women with dense or fibrocystic breast (breasts that are on the lumpy side), caffeine is known to cause breast tenderness.

across Contributor

If you are on any  hormone replacements, perhaps you need to check with the doctor and see if the dosage needs to be changed?  As our damaged intestines heal, we absorb better.  That includes medications.

If this continues much longer, you will want to see the doctor anyway.  He/she may want to send you for a mamogram.

I'm not actually on any hormones.

across Contributor

Thanks, all, for your replies! 

I'm testing my theory right now that it may be related to my new bottle of fish oil being rancid. My mom got really sick a few years back from rancid fish oil capsules, and starting a new bottle was the only thing I could think of that I changed. I haven't taken the capsules for a couple of days now, and things seem to be getting better.

I haven't bitten into one yet to see if they're rancid. Can't quite stomach the thought of doing that at present!

I'll let you know whether things continue to improve. They say that many people are taking rancid fish oil and don't realize it, and that it can cause all kinds of health problems.

across Contributor

Thanks, all, for your replies! 

I'm testing my theory right now that it may be related to my new bottle of fish oil being rancid. My mom got really sick a few years back from rancid fish oil capsules, and starting a new bottle was the only thing I could think of that I changed. I haven't taken the capsules for a couple of days now, and things seem to be getting better.

I haven't bitten into one yet to see if they're rancid. Can't quite stomach the thought of doing that at present!

I'll let you know whether things continue to improve. They say that many people are taking rancid fish oil and don't realize it, and that it can cause all kinds of health problems.

It seems I may have been right about the fish oil being the cause. I bit into one, and oh boy, was it rancid! I replaced it with a fresh bottle (which I tested for rancidity), and after about two days all my breast tenderness went away, for which I am very thankful!!!

The only reason I even thought to try this was that my mother had extremely sick with terrible body pain from rancid fish oil a few years ago. Otherwise, I would have never made that connection.

Archived