11 replies to this topic

#1 shanmac

shanmac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 02:08 PM

I baked muffins using "pure" vanilla extract- I looked at the ingredients and one of them was alcohol, but my mom said it was safe and that I was just being paranoid, so I made the muffins and ate two of them. I was up all night with a bad stomach. Was the alcohol in that vanilla extract gluten containing? I have no idea how to tell. The brand was Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract. I would love any information anyone could give me. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

I don't know about that brand. My vanilla said the same thing so I called to ask what the alcohol was made from, they told me it was from corn. Get the companies # and call them. It might be safe, but other brands I have called about are gluten-free but not made in a designated gluten-free line, so their is the cross contamination thing also.

Good luck

#3 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:59 AM

I know that McCormic's Pure Vanilla Extract is gluten-free.
I use it all the time! :)

Connie

#4 tonileet

tonileet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

I've been using "flavorganics" vanilla extract with no problems. It's labeled gluten-free. I just visited their website to see if I could find out if it's made in a gluten-free facility or on a dedicated line, but there was no mention of gluten anywhere. It's too late to call because they're on the east coast and I'm on the west coast. I'll either call another day or e-mail them and post what I find out.

Shanmac - "When it doubt, do without" is definitely the way to go to avoid accidental ingestion of gluten. There's no way for you to know if Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract is gluten-free without contacting the company. Be safe. Call or e-mail them and then let us know what you find out! Thanks.

Good day, all - Toni

#5 shanmac

shanmac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:23 PM

does anyone know of the best place (or website) to get gluten free vanilla extract? I know the McCormicks vanilla extract is gluten free, but if there is a place I could buy clearly labeled gluten free vanilla extract, that would be great. :rolleyes:

#6 coveowner

coveowner

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:05 PM

I ordered gluten-free vanilla powder from one of the companies listed in the back of a Bette Hagman gluten-free cookbook and it is great. However, I made my own by filling a small jar with potato vodka and putting a vanilla bean in it. After about a month, I had great vanilla flavoring. I was delighted to read about Mccormicks however. I just always assumed that all of the bought vanillas were made with alcohol distilled from grain.

Rose

#7 coveowner

coveowner

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:07 PM

see the reply that I printed above about vanilla.

#8 kerriboo

kerriboo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

Be careful if making your own gluten-free vanilla... I have noticed many whole vanilla beans are preserved in bourbon. Wouldn't that effect the gluten-free-ness of it?

-Kerriboo

#9 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:23 PM

I'm glad to know that McCormick's pure vanilla extract is gluten-free. I e-mailed them and they never got back to me, but I did see on a gluten-free food list that all their extracts are gluten-free.

I just ordered some gluten-free vanilla powder. I am hoping it works good. They said it gives a more true vanilla flavor. I hope so. I really don't care for the alcohol flavor of the extract when I mix it with certain foods.

Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#10 tammy

tammy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

I use Flavorganics extracts too! I k now they are gluten-free. It is great to hear that McCormick's extracts are also gluten-free.

#11 irish

irish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 09:16 AM

I decided to make Chocolate Chip Cookies from the gluten Free Pantry it calls for gluten free vanilla. Does anyone know of a company that we can trust. Thanks Loretta

#12 fanfaire

fanfaire

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:53 AM

I can't seem to find any info on this. I found a wonderful recipe for cheesecake (no flour) that calls for vanilla extract, but I have no idea if it's safe. Could someone who cooks please enlighten me?

B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: