Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Vanilla Extract

12 posts in this topic

I baked muffins using "pure" vanilla extract- I looked at the ingredients and one of them was alcohol, but my mom said it was safe and that I was just being paranoid, so I made the muffins and ate two of them. I was up all night with a bad stomach. Was the alcohol in that vanilla extract gluten containing? I have no idea how to tell. The brand was Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract. I would love any information anyone could give me. Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I don't know about that brand. My vanilla said the same thing so I called to ask what the alcohol was made from, they told me it was from corn. Get the companies # and call them. It might be safe, but other brands I have called about are gluten-free but not made in a designated gluten-free line, so their is the cross contamination thing also.

Good luck

I know that McCormic's Pure Vanilla Extract is gluten-free.

I use it all the time! :)

Connie

Hi,

I've been using "flavorganics" vanilla extract with no problems. It's labeled gluten-free. I just visited their website to see if I could find out if it's made in a gluten-free facility or on a dedicated line, but there was no mention of gluten anywhere. It's too late to call because they're on the east coast and I'm on the west coast. I'll either call another day or e-mail them and post what I find out.

Shanmac - "When it doubt, do without" is definitely the way to go to avoid accidental ingestion of gluten. There's no way for you to know if Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract is gluten-free without contacting the company. Be safe. Call or e-mail them and then let us know what you find out! Thanks.

Good day, all - Toni

does anyone know of the best place (or website) to get gluten free vanilla extract? I know the McCormicks vanilla extract is gluten free, but if there is a place I could buy clearly labeled gluten free vanilla extract, that would be great. :rolleyes:

I ordered gluten-free vanilla powder from one of the companies listed in the back of a Bette Hagman gluten-free cookbook and it is great. However, I made my own by filling a small jar with potato vodka and putting a vanilla bean in it. After about a month, I had great vanilla flavoring. I was delighted to read about Mccormicks however. I just always assumed that all of the bought vanillas were made with alcohol distilled from grain.

Rose

see the reply that I printed above about vanilla.

Be careful if making your own gluten-free vanilla... I have noticed many whole vanilla beans are preserved in bourbon. Wouldn't that effect the gluten-free-ness of it?

-Kerriboo

I'm glad to know that McCormick's pure vanilla extract is gluten-free. I e-mailed them and they never got back to me, but I did see on a gluten-free food list that all their extracts are gluten-free.

I just ordered some gluten-free vanilla powder. I am hoping it works good. They said it gives a more true vanilla flavor. I hope so. I really don't care for the alcohol flavor of the extract when I mix it with certain foods.

Mariann

Hi,

I use Flavorganics extracts too! I k now they are gluten-free. It is great to hear that McCormick's extracts are also gluten-free.

I decided to make Chocolate Chip Cookies from the gluten Free Pantry it calls for gluten free vanilla. Does anyone know of a company that we can trust. Thanks Loretta

I can't seem to find any info on this. I found a wonderful recipe for cheesecake (no flour) that calls for vanilla extract, but I have no idea if it's safe. Could someone who cooks please enlighten me?

B)