This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Klondike Bars

Nikki2777

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Does anyone know whether or not these are Gluten Free?  The only posts that come up in a search are pretty old and I can find no information on their or Unilever's web site.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What are the ingredients.? Unilever is especially clear on ingredient/ gluten labeling.

Thanks - the questionable ones are maltodextrin, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, annato (that's ok, right?) and chocolate liquor processed with alkali.  Everything else, while monosylabically scary, I think I know to be safe.

Someone left them at my house and I'm so tempted....

kareng Grand Master

Sounds gluten-free to me.

Thanks, and I just realized I meant multisylabically ;-)  too focused on the gluten!

LauraTX Rising Star

Interestingly, I saw a commercial for Klondike bars the other day and have been thinking about them since.  Also saw a commercial for a local ice cream and burger place that has chocolate lava cake sundaes.  Yay summer food advertising!  I will write klondike and ask them, now for my own curiosity.  But as Karen said, unilever is really good with their labeling and if there isn't an obvious gluten containing ingredient on it, I will eat it.

LauraTX Rising Star

Didn't have to write them, they have info on the website:

Open Original Shared Link

Click gluten information, weird web site format.

Anything with gluten will be listed.  They do clarify any malt is barley.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frustratedmom Newbie

I have called Unilever on several items.  They tell me that any gluten is clearly marked on their labels, but while an item may not contain gluten, none of their products are made in a completely gluten-free facility.  They state they do a very good job of cleaning equipment, but if you are especially sensitive to cross-contamination, you might want to be careful with anything made by Unilever.

psawyer Proficient

I trust Unilever products. Frustratedmom, what you are hearing is a legal disclaimer. It is standard for all manufacturers that do not actually test for gluten.

mamaw Community Regular

Klondike  also  make  bars  with cookies  in them & some  with  candy  so be  careful  to  pick  the  ones  that  are gluten-free....We  eat  those  often  but  just  the plain  vanilla   with  choc.  coating.. Never  cared for  all the  cookie/candy  ones...

Thanks everyone - I'm looking forward to eating them!

Patti J Rookie

Interestingly, I saw a commercial for Klondike bars the other day and have been thinking about them since.  Also saw a commercial for a local ice cream and burger place that has chocolate lava cake sundaes.  Yay summer food advertising!  I will write klondike and ask them, now for my own curiosity.  But as Karen said, unilever is really good with their labeling and if there isn't an obvious gluten containing ingredient on it, I will eat it.

as a new Celiac can you tell me what are the "obvious gluten containing  ingredients"? Or can you refer me to a web site that will be helpful in finding them. This is frustrating! :(

kareng Grand Master

as a new Celiac can you tell me what are the "obvious gluten containing ingredients"? Or can you refer me to a web site that will be helpful in finding them. This is frustrating! :(

It will say wheat, rye, barley or barley malt. Those are the usual ones. There are some odd wheats like spelt, but they wouldn't be in things like Klondike bars. They are for ...sort of specialty breads, crackers, etc. rye really isn't in much but a bread or a cracker, usually with wheat.

Here's a list. It has some things on it that, if listed as an ingredient, should be broken down into its component ingredients. For example, it would say something like - Teryaki ( soy, salt, wheat). Some of these are odd wheats I have never seen but I eat pretty " American". :)

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/forbidden-gluten-food-list-unsafe-ingredients-r182/

LauraTX Rising Star

For a specific example with the Klondike bars, looking at ingredients on the website, the Krunch one has malt extract (barley).  Generally anything with crisped rice in it is going to be suspect and likely to contain barley malt.  Also, barley malt seems to be near the end of ingredient lists a lot.  The oreo ones obviously contain gluten, in the list it has "enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate [vitamin b1],riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid)"  And the pretzel ones, also obvious, they have wheat flour and malt.

• 1 year later...
Wizdomatic Newbie

Ingredients

Artificially flavored vanilla light* ice cream in a milk chocolate flavored coating.

Nonfat milk, sugar, coconut oil, corn syrup, cream, corn syrup solids, whey, chocolate liquor processed with alkali, milk, contains 1 percent or less of: soybean oil, cocoa processed with alkali, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, guar gum, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin, carrageenan, salt, caramel color, vitamin a palmitate.

Not A Light Food. *The portion of light ice cream in this bar has 65% less fat and 35% fewer calories than a similar portion of a range of full-fat ice cream. See nutrition information for fat and saturated fat content.

Ingredients and nutrition facts are current as of of 08/06/15. Please see shelf packaging for any changes.

I just ate one I hope it is ok.  I recently tested positive for Celiac Disease but my endoscopy and colonoscopy aren't until next month.

kareng Grand Master
5 hours ago, Wizdomatic said:

Ingredients

Artificially flavored vanilla light* ice cream in a milk chocolate flavored coating.

Nonfat milk, sugar, coconut oil, corn syrup, cream, corn syrup solids, whey, chocolate liquor processed with alkali, milk, contains 1 percent or less of: soybean oil, cocoa processed with alkali, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, guar gum, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin, carrageenan, salt, caramel color, vitamin a palmitate.

Not A Light Food. *The portion of light ice cream in this bar has 65% less fat and 35% fewer calories than a similar portion of a range of full-fat ice cream. See nutrition information for fat and saturated fat content.

Ingredients and nutrition facts are current as of of 08/06/15. Please see shelf packaging for any changes.

I just ate one I hope it is ok.  I recently tested positive for Celiac Disease but my endoscopy and colonoscopy aren't until next month.

Those are probably fine for a gluten-free diet.  But you should still be eating gluten until all your testing is done.

• 1 month later...
Mommy4 five Newbie
On December 20, 2015 at 3:37 AM, Wizdomatic said:

Ingredients

Mommy4 five Newbie

Why are you worried? If your tests are not until next month you still need to be eating gluten daily!  Otherwise your tests will not be accurate and may say you do not have Celiac. A lot of healing can happen in a month if you go gluten free. 

• 6 months later...
Joel K Newbie

Here's what the Klondike Bar makers say on the FAQ page of their website (August 2016):

Are your products gluten free?

Nope. They are not. We have not validated for gluten free. We do not operate allergen-free manufacturing sites, however we do have allergen management programs in all our facilities. The intent of these programs is to avoid unintentional cross-contamination of allergens between products. Our product labels adhere to the FDA’s strict regulations regarding declaration of ingredients and allergens. We do not use the terms “Natural” or “Artificial Flavorings” to hide the existence of any allergens. RECIPES CAN CHANGE. We strongly recommend that allergic consumers refer to ingredient declarations EVERY TIME they purchase processed foods.

• 2 weeks later...
chasbo2003 Newbie

I don't trust them since I had a reaction, I switched to HaagenDaaz because they are!

Archived