7 replies to this topic

#1 vyky

vyky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

my daugter has been diognosed so now the change is needed after her biopsy i was wondering insted of throwing all the plastic plates chopping boards ect away and buying new couldnt i just use milton?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

my daugter has been diognosed so now the change is needed after her biopsy i was wondering insted of throwing all the plastic plates chopping boards ect away and buying new couldnt i just use milton?

I'm not sure what " milton" is?

The basic idea is - can you clean it well? If it had lots of little cracks or holes- then it is hard to get the food out of every crevice. A Colander is especially difficult to scrub out every hole. So, if you can get them clean - use them.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

I'm phasing out plastic completely in my house. Not only is there a chance it can hold onto gluten and other food particles including bacteria, but it also is unhealthy because of plastic chemicals that are also hormone disruptors. Plastic just doesn't belong in a kitchen. I am switching to glass. And glass is so easy to clean too. Cookware, you have to have separate ones that are dedicated to gluten-free cooking. I'm going to buy a dedicated gluten-free cast iron skillet.

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm phasing out plastic completely in my house. Not only is there a chance it can hold onto gluten and other food particles including bacteria, but it also is unhealthy because of plastic chemicals that are also hormone disruptors. Plastic just doesn't belong in a kitchen. I am switching to glass. And glass is so easy to clean too. Cookware, you have to have separate ones that are dedicated to gluten-free cooking. I'm going to buy a dedicated gluten-free cast iron skillet.

You don't need separate cookware if you are able to clean the pots well.  Cast iron is porous, so it is hard to clean and would need to be dedicated gluten-free.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Cast iron is porous, so it is hard to clean and would need to be dedicated gluten-free.

Exactly; that's why it's going to be dedicated gluten-free.

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

I adore my cast iron pans and lids. I ran them through the clean cycle in my oven and then reasoned them. You can pick them up at garage sales cheap. I still use my ancient Revereware pots which are superior to the current pot manufactured -- well scrubbed of course!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 vyky

vyky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:34 AM

I'm not sure what " milton" is?

The basic idea is - can you clean it well? If it had lots of little cracks or holes- then it is hard to get the food out of every crevice. A Colander is especially difficult to scrub out every hole. So, if you can get them clean - use them.

milton is sterilizing liquid that you use to do baby bottles . i thought that would clean it well. yes a sieve is a hard one to get totally clean isnt it id prob would use one at all.

#8 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

Sterilizing the plastic ware and cutting board won't work.  The gluten has to be physically removed.  That is why it is recommended that plastics, wooden items and items with hard to clean areas be replaced.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: