arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Positive Dgp Test While On gluten-free Diet - Should I Get Endoscopy?

diagnosis dgp endoscopy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kias4

Kias4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

I went gluten-free three years ago without any celiac testing at the recommendation of an (obviously ill-informed) doctor when I was experiencing severe GI distress with no known cause after the birth of our first son.  My GI symptoms disappeared (until a few months ago, but more on that in a moment).  I always just assumed I was gluten-intolerant and told people so, and I assumed that having celiac disease was very unlikely due to the low incidence rate.  Additionally, I knew I'd have to consume gluten to get tested for celiac disease, and I wasn't willing to put myself through that.  Then within the last six months I started having recurring GI problems again.  I thought I was on a decent gluten-free diet so assumed that something else must be going on, such as a soy issue.  

Last week an allergist requested to run the celiac tests on my blood, and I said ok despite telling him that I knew it would come back negative regardless of my disease status since I had been on a gluten-free diet for years. Shockingly, the DGP IgA came back positive.

My question is, should I just assume that I have celiac disease, or should I go through with a gluten challenge and getting an endoscopy?  I get SO sick from consuming gluten, and as a result of last week's blood tests I've realized that I was obviously consuming hidden gluten and that it was likely the cause of my recent GI distress.  However, I doubt it's been enough gluten to result in a positive biopsy.  And I just can't imagine consuming large amounts of gluten for the biopsy considering how sick I've been lately with only consuming trace amounts of gluten.  Prior to starting the gluten-free diet three years ago, I was having severe bloating and cramping and diarrhea 4 to 5 times per day alternated with days of constipation.  I would imagine that my reaction would be even worse now that I've been (attempting) gluten-free for three years.

What are everyone's thoughts?  Label myself as celiac or try to do a gluten challenge?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

The DGP tests are one of the fastest to turn positive if gluten is sneaking into your diet. Is it possible that you are getting some gluten in soy sauce, lotions or hair products, BBQ sauces or cross contaminated food like butter?

That test is pretty specific to celiac disease, so if it's positive, it is probably due to celiac disease - especially when you have gluten intolerance symptoms.  

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Kias4

Kias4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

The DGP tests are one of the fastest to turn positive if gluten is sneaking into your diet. Is it possible that you are getting some gluten in soy sauce, lotions or hair products, BBQ sauces or cross contaminated food like butter?

That test is pretty specific to celiac disease, so if it's positive, it is probably due to celiac disease - especially when you have gluten intolerance symptoms.  

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you so much for your reply.  I do not eat gluten-containing soy sauce or bbq sauce.  I check the labels on everything.  However, I haven't been watching my personal care products (shampoo, lotion) and I also haven't been careful with contaminated condiments.  I live in a house with 3 gluten eaters, and so I obviously need to be much more careful.  We are currently taking the steps to eliminate all possibilities for cross-contamination.

I am still up in the air on the gluten challenge and biopsy. It seems absolutely crazy to me that doctors ask you to ruin your body so that they can make sure it gets ruined.

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I am still up in the air on the gluten challenge and biopsy. It seems absolutely crazy to me that doctors ask you to ruin your body so that they can make sure it gets ruined.

I hear you on that!  I skipped the biopsy myself after having a positive tTG IgA and EMA IgA. I feel quite a bit better gluten-free, so I think I did the right thing.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: