6 replies to this topic

#1 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'm looking for honey with the mildest "honey" taste. I'm following the SCD diet, and honey is the only natural sweetener allowed. I don't really like the taste of honey, and wondered if anyone could recommend a mild tasting type?

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Clover is supposed to be the mildest flavor.  I have read this because my family has a couple of hives.

Dee

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

clover,  and  it  should  be  local honey  not  honey  from other  countries or  a  combo  from other  countries  &  the  US...You  should  be  able  to find  locally sourced  honey ( clover)  from  your  next  of the  woods...Make sure  it is  PURE honey.... oddly  some honey  is   just  sugars  &  such   not  true  honey... What  has  become  of  our  food  supply. scary....

#4 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Ahhh... clover honey. Thank you!

I will definitely get a good brand with no additives... and local too, yes, good reminder. Sometimes it's hard remembering all the things we have to think about!

It is very scary what our "so called" food supply has become. One of my goals is to grow as many things myself as I can... within the small outdoor space I have. There are fruit, vegetables, and herbs that grow great in pots!. There's nothing like stepping outside to pick something from your own yard.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#5 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:40 AM

I'd do clover too. 

I only buy organic honeys and there is a brand that I've tried several different varieties, wild flower, orange blossom, etc. I found that the darker the color of the honey, the less I liked the flavor.

But, I also had to stop eating honey when I figured out that I couldn't tolerate foods that were high in fructose.

#6 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

If you buy local honey, check to be sure of where it was processed.  I had some trouble with honey I bought and had not checked to see if they process it in their personal kitchen. 

#7 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Definitely organic, yes.

Processed in their personal kitchen seems like a bad idea, the possibility of cc, is that what you mean? I'm going to look for something as local as possible but from a health food store where I can find a brand that says gluten-free on the label. I don't think I could trust anything "homemade" by anyone but me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: