5 replies to this topic

#1 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Well, I got my bloodwork back about a week ago and yep, I'm celiac.

Immunoglobulin A: 137 mg/dL.
Reference: 91-414

Deamidated Gliadin Antibodies, IgA: 21 units
Reference:
0-19 = negative
20-30 = weak positive
>30 = Moderate to strong positive

t-Transglutaminase IgA: 28 U/mL
Reference:
0-3 = negative
4-10 = weak positive
>10 = positive

But I'm not new to the forums because my sister is Celiac and my parents are weak positives (the lab paperwork said tTG > 4 is weak positive). Mom and other sister are a 4 and dad is a 7 (and those numbers are from 2010; mom, dad and non-celiac sis are scheduled for another celiac test in 2015). So, here I am. I'm just now getting over the shock and denial...

I also got tested for thyroid function/antibodies...

TSH: 3.36 uIU/mL (some would say the reference range is outdated and that mine is a little high--what do you think?)
Reference: 0.45-4.5

Free T4: 1.49 ng/dL
Reference: 0.82-1.77

Free T3: 3.1 (this seems like a good number)
Reference: 2.0-4.4

Reverse T3: 33.7 ng/dL (what does this mean?)
Reference: 9.2-24.1

T4 (I'm guessing this is total): 10.7 ug/dL
Reference: 4.5-12.0

Thyroid Peroxidase TPO: 10 IU/mL
Reference: 0-34

Thyroglobulin Antibody: 177 IU/mL (yikes)
Reference: 0.0-0.9

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beth01

beth01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Welcome to the Celiac club!

Are they doing other thyroid testing since it seems you have an underlying thyroid disorder? Thyroiditis seems to cause an elevated thyroglobulin test as can Grave's disease and Hashimoto's.

My doc usually wants me in the 1-2 range for my TSH but right now it's hovering around 5. Since I am not having symptoms of a hypo thyroid ( muscle cramps being the major one for me) we aren't going to adjust my meds right now since I can't keep weight on. I was diagnosed with Grave's in 2003.

Hope that helps. Thanks for posting your lab's reference ranges.  Sometimes trying to help without them is impossible lol, they vary so much from lab to lab based on their methodologies and instrumentation

Diagnosed at age 37 after a lifetime of symptoms and other diseases: migraines, joint pain, muscle aches, nerve pain, IBS, chronic constipation, chronic ear infections/strep throat, weight fluctuations ( most weight lost >150 pounds), acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea/vomiting, inactive gallbladder, stool impacted appendix, multiple miscarriages, premature births, depression, anxiety, OCD, arthritis of the spine, Grave's disease(treated with radioactive iodine)- hypothyroid, multiple drug and environmental allergies, numbness in the hands and feet, possible multiple TIA's, brain fog, dyslexia, extreme thirst, bouts of insomnia rotated by extreme fatigue, multiple vitamin deficiencies, chronic UTI's and vaginal infections, Fibromyalgia, and I'm sure there are more I am forgetting.

Diagnosed April 7th, 2014 by EGD and tTg IgA.  Marsh IIIb and 35.7 respectively, Starting what seems to be a very long recovery process.

11 year old daughter diagnosed a month later by a tTg IgA of >100 and a positive EMA.  Nine year old son has since tested negative, only had tTg IgA drawn,  Will have a full panel drawn in two years unless symptoms present. 

#3 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Welcome to the Celiac club!

Are they doing other thyroid testing since it seems you have an underlying thyroid disorder? Thyroiditis seems to cause an elevated thyroglobulin test as can Grave's disease and Hashimoto's.

My doc usually wants me in the 1-2 range for my TSH but right now it's hovering around 5. Since I am not having symptoms of a hypo thyroid ( muscle cramps being the major one for me) we aren't going to adjust my meds right now since I can't keep weight on. I was diagnosed with Grave's in 2003.

Hope that helps. Thanks for posting your lab's reference ranges.  Sometimes trying to help without them is impossible lol, they vary so much from lab to lab based on their methodologies and instrumentation

Thanks.

What other thyroid testing is there to be done? On some other forum they mentioned an ultrasound but why do I need that? I'm sure it's extremely expensive. And I had a doctor friend review my test results; he said I don't have a thyroid problem because my TSH, T4 and T3 are all in range but I still do worry about my antibodies; that isn't healthy. I hope that going gluten-free will also bring my thyroid antibodies down.

I am not convinced that there's nothing we can do as people with autoimmune diseases. I read that Dr. Alessio Fasano believes that people lose the immunity to gluten and become celiac because of a change in the microbiome and I have read that there is belief out there in the medical world that probiotics (perhaps a few specific strains) can regulate zonulin/gut permeability and heal/ameliorate/cure Celiac. I wonder if anyone here knows more on this topic than I?

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

Unless you have nodules or cancer runs in your family, you probably do not need an ultrasound. I have nodules, but they have not increased in size in 20 years. Your TS is probably just fine. I can function well at that level. To bring your thyroid antibodies down, you may consider taking a tiny dose of thyroid, but I would wait to see if they decrease after being on the gluten-free diet for six months to a year. Anything to bring down inflammation is bound to help!

BTW, my antibodies have been over 2,000 many times but have never come down below 1,000. That was all before my celiac disease diagnosis. Maybe in another year, I can ask to get them retested. In the meantime, my thyroid has been stable for the last six months! Yeah!

I will defer to those posters who are more thyroid savvy and my T3 and T4 ranges are always normal, so I have not researched (or retained that information!)

I was a weak positive, but showed a Marsh Stage IIIB on my biopsy. Anemia was my main symptom. I wish you a speedy recovery!
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 BLM44

BLM44

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi!  I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease...today (my biopsy results were just posted).  My celiac panel blood test results were in the hundreds, so my doc was confident that my biospy would be positive, too, and it was.

But I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroidits (autoimmune hypothyroidism) in 2002.

Your antibody numbers would seem to suggest that you have an autoimmune disorder.  You would need your doctor to tell you exactly what that means. I don't know (remember) if that means Hashimotos or Graves, or if a specific antibody test needs to be done for those.   

Your TSH is within normal limits.  From everything I've read and learned, women feel better when their TSH is between 1-2, but if you are within normal limits, your doctor may not prescribe you anything at this time.  If you do have an autoimmune disorder (Hashimotos or Graves), you would need to get your TSH and Free T3 / T4 tested every 3-6 months to monitor.  But I would definitely get your doctor to explain in greater detail about the antibody test. 

#6 millerb68

millerb68

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

In my recent testing which brought a celiac diagnosis, my thyroid levels all tested normal, also, but my doctor diagnosed me with subclinical hypothyroid (http://www.mayomedic...e/2009/03.html; http://www.aafp.org/...dism-ess.html). I had never heard of it before, and my previous doctor never mentioned it. She has me taking T4/T3. If you are concerned, I would do some research and present it to your doc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: