14 replies to this topic

#1 rick797

rick797

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:37 AM

Hi guys, my girlfriend is Coeliac so I've joined this site to help to better understand her condition and find ways to simply make her diet more enjoyable. First post so please be kind.

My question is about 'Gluten Free' Beer and Ale, from what I gather there is some contention about these beers, I believe Estrella Daura (which she does drink and doesn't react too) to be made without wheat/barley so is considered safer than other Beers/ales which are made with 'de-glutenized' barley (like Daas, Greens and Omission). One of the things she misses most is Ale (which you can only seem to get made with 'de-glutenized barley' so it would be great to get some of these ales. I really just wanted to hear about some of your experiences and to see if anyone had any recommendation or advice for me? Or if anyone knows of a safe gluten-free Ale which isn't made using this process?

Many Thanks, 

Ricky

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

Hi guys, my girlfriend is Coeliac so I've joined this site to help to better understand her condition and find ways to simply make her diet more enjoyable. First post so please be kind.

My question is about 'Gluten Free' Beer and Ale, from what I gather there is some contention about these beers, I believe Estrella Daura (which she does drink and doesn't react too) to be made without wheat/barley so is considered safer than other Beers/ales which are made with 'de-glutenized' barley (like Daas, Greens and Omission). One of the things she misses most is Ale (which you can only seem to get made with 'de-glutenized barley' so it would be great to get some of these ales. I really just wanted to hear about some of your experiences and to see if anyone had any recommendation or advice for me? Or if anyone knows of a safe gluten-free Ale which isn't made using this process?

Many Thanks,

Ricky

I think you have that a bit backwards. Greens gluten-free beers aren't made with barley. Estrella is made with barley. - so it is " de- glutened". In the US, the goverment has said that these supposedly " de- glutened" beers cannot be called gluten-free because of the lack of accurate testing for barley in alcohol.

In the US, there are many truly gluten-free beers made with gluten free ingredients. She will just need to try some and see which she likes. A few - New Planet, Bards, Redbridge, New Grist

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

β€œThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

β€œOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 CajunChic

CajunChic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

I gave up on all beer once I was gluten-free. I do, however, love the hard ciders out there! They're naturally gluten-free and taste delicious! Don't be fooled by Redd's apple ale-it's a beer. I should have picked up on 'ale'. My favorite is Woodchuck pear cider. I also like Michelob's Light Cider when I want to watch my calories. Just another option to have!

"Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."
3 John 1:2

#4 treesahope

treesahope

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

New Planet!  gluten-free  Colorado Based!  Found in many places now.  I myself would not drink any de'glutened' anything.  Sorry, I have to be 'sure sure' it is ok for me.

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

In my opinion, Estrella Daura's labeling is very misleading. I had one of those a couple of years ago, and halfway through the beer I was checking the label because I could feel the pain coming on.... Maybe my bottle wasn't "de-glutened" enough but I'll never have it again.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Below is a link to a beer festival listing. The beers that are gluten free are labeled. I have not found a true full listing of gluten-free beers online anywhere, but looking up beer festivals, every one that I found has the gluten-free beers listed. This is just one of them (I can't find the links to the other ones I found right now), but I have been enjoying Johnny Appleseed Hard Cider and Smith & Forge Hard Cider. Both have a tart Granny Smith apple taste, but they are rather good.

http://www.thebeerca...valBeerList.pdf

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! πŸ˜πŸ˜€πŸ˜œπŸ˜›πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜·πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‡πŸ˜

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Below is a link to a beer festival listing. The beers that are gluten free are labeled. I have not found a true full listing of gluten-free beers online anywhere, but looking up beer festivals, every one that I found has the gluten-free beers listed. This is just one of them (I can't find the links to the other ones I found right now), but I have been enjoying Johnny Appleseed Hard Cider and Smith & Forge Hard Cider. Both have a tart Granny Smith apple taste, but they are rather good.
http://www.thebeerca...valBeerList.pdf

Everyone these are not gluten-free beers. It looks like there is only 1 gluten-free beer that I see, Redbridge, on the list. I don't want you to miss understand - this is not a list of gluten-free beers.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

β€œThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

β€œOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Everyone these are not gluten-free beers. It looks like there is only 1 gluten-free beer that I see, Redbridge, on the list. I don't want you to miss understand - this is not a list of gluten-free beers.

Karen, just to make it clear, I said they are listed if they are gluten-free (a glance at the list shows the right column says "gluten-free" if they are reported as Gluten Free), but I would appreciate clarification on your comment, Crabbie's Ginger Beer and New Planet are listed on there as gluten-free, as is Woodchuck Cider; are they not gluten free? Crabbie's and New Planet are not easily available around me, and I've never been a fan of Woodchuck, so I have NOT done independent research (as everyone should, check with the manufacturer online or on the phone to verify gluten-free status). I simply posted this list as an example of how I have found Red Bridge to be a gluten-free beer, from finding it listed on a beer fear list and verifying with the brewery (Anheiser Busch-sp?).

Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Karen, just to make it clear, I said they are listed if they are gluten-free (a glance at the list shows the right column says "gluten-free" if they are reported as Gluten Free), but I would appreciate clarification on your comment, Crabbie's Ginger Beer and New Planet are listed on there as gluten-free, as is Woodchuck Cider; are they not gluten free? Crabbie's and New Planet are not easily available around me, and I've never been a fan of Woodchuck, so I have NOT done independent research (as everyone should, check with the manufacturer online or on the phone to verify gluten-free status). I simply posted this list as an example of how I have found Red Bridge to be a gluten-free beer, from finding it listed on a beer fear list and verifying with the brewery (Anheiser Busch-sp?).

I didn't notice the new planet - it had a gluten-free in a different column than the Redbridge which said " Gluten free". I don't know anything about .crabbies or ginger beer. Yes, ciders are gluten-free, but I thought we & you were talking about beer? The main gluten-free beers in the US are Bards, Redbridge, New Planet, & New Grist as I mentioned. Sometimes you can find Greens , Some areas of the country have gluten-free beers that are sold locally. Harvester in Oregon is very good, but so far, only sold in that area.

santa-dance.gif

#10 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I didn't notice the new planet - it had a gluten-free in a different column than the Redbridge which said " Gluten free". I don't know anything about .crabbies or ginger beer. Yes, ciders are gluten-free, but I thought we & you were talking about beer? The main gluten-free beers in the US are Bards, Redbridge, New Planet, & New Grist as I mentioned. Sometimes you can find Greens , Some areas of the country have gluten-free beers that are sold locally. Harvester in Oregon is very good, but so far, only sold in that area.

I'm not the OP, I just posted that link to give an idea of a starting point, and how to look up lists on google since there is no "master list" of gluten free beer. (Which thinking about it, I might just make one...)

#11 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Rick, most of the gluten-free beers I've seen are made from a grain called sorghum. 

Redbridge is the Budweiser of gluten-free beers, so if your girlfriend prefers ales that don't have much flavor, that might be the one for her. I doesn't taste awful, but most people will dis it, big time, and recommend that you go with a more flavorful beer such as Bard's.

Green's, New Planet, and New Grist are also brands that I see in the stores. But even though I've heard of darker beers and other varieties, they aren't readily available. Oh, and some are often high in alcohol content (Greens) that can take away from a beer's flavor.

Don't forget that even if a store that sells beer doesn't carry a gluten-free variety, they likely would be happy to order it for you by the case. And if you also drink a gluten-free beer when it is just the two of you, you wouldn't have to worry about the whole kissing thing.

#12 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Here is a link to a website I found that lists gluten-free items. They state they "strive to provide up to date information" (so just double check labels or contact the manufacturer to verify). This site is amazing because the list pretty much every good category you can think of. The link is directly to the gluten-free beers.

http://www.gfoverflo...=category: Beer

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

Here is a link to a website I found that lists gluten-free items. They state they "strive to provide up to date information" (so just double check labels or contact the manufacturer to verify). This site is amazing because the list pretty much every good category you can think of. The link is directly to the gluten-free beers.
http://www.gfoverflo...=category: Beer

New Planet
Amber Ale
Belgian Ale
Blonde Ale
Brown Ale
Pale Ale
Raspberry Ale
Redbridge
Beer made from Sorghum
New Grist
Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer
Bard's
Gold Sorghum Malt Beer

Hmmm... Didn't I say the same thing? Lol. :)

santa-dance.gif

#14 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hmmm... Didn't I say the same thing? Lol. :)

Sorry Karen, I didn't see your post. I just came accross the website looking for salad dressings and remembered this post, so I went to the beers and shared the link real quick like. :-)

#15 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

New Planet. Hands down some of the best widely-available gluten-free beer in the US. Their pale ale is excellent, and they have a lovely raspberry ale. Greens is also quite good. Their blonde ale is excellent but super strong.

Beware the "gluten removed" beers (Omission, etc). If she can handle them, that's great, but a lot of us can't.

Really, she'll just have to try what she can find, and see what she likes. gluten-free beer can be really good, but it takes time to "forget" what real beer tastes like and appreciate good gluten-free beer.

Trust me, a beer lover will appreciate help in finding good gluten-free beers, just make sure to double-check the ingredients and make sure its actually really gluten-free.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: