6 replies to this topic

#1 user001

user001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

For all those in the NY, NJ, and PA areas, you know about wegmans. Everyone else, wegmans is a great food store! They have regular brand foods, a great selection of organic stuff and natural products and their own wegmans brand. The wegmans brand is labled with allergy information, this link should work http://3.bp.blogspot...00/IMG_4769.JPG

This makes shopping really easy, usually. There are some products with no labels, and they have me confused and puzzled. One in particular is their yogurt blue cheese dressing. It is not labeled with anything and im a NOOB, but the ingredients don't seem to contain gluten. Here is a link to the product. http://www.wegmans.c...roductId=670248

I used to love treating myself to this dressing ocassionally, but now that I have celiac disease, I have to analyze everything. I had a bit yesterday at lunch, it was more like a half teaspoon of this dressing and the rest was balsamic vinegarette (also wegmans brand but had a gluten free label). I don't feel like im having any reaction today.

Please overanaylze with me and lets see if i can put this on my shopping list this week!

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Will you send me a bottle? That sounds yummy!

From a gluten-free stand point, that looks fine to me. Some people will quibble about the healthiness of the ingredients, but that's the nature of the Internet.

If it had wheat, it would have to clearly label that. If it contained malt vinegar, it would label it too - that's a special ingredient to brag about. Malt vinegar is not " distilled vinegar".

Edited by kareng, 08 June 2014 - 08:51 AM.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

It's alot lower in fat and calories than regular, but the sodium is a bit much. I really liked it mixed with the balsamic dressing actually. I had it on a field greens salad with a half a red bell pepper, half a cucumber, and a whole carrot! All organic because I was visiting my brother and his family for the day. I was visualizing healing my intestines while eating it, LOL (think it, be it)

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.

Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

The best way for you to get an answer is to call 1-800-wegmans.  They are one of the best companies IMHO around. I once, for example, called about some peanuts that had the gluten free label on one size but not another. I was told it was because of risk of CC with the can that didn't have the circle G on it. I believe that some family members of the Wegman family are celiac and they are very good at labeling carefully. 

Personally if it is a Wegmans item and isn't a single ingredient item like ground coffee then I pick something else. 

Be sure to pick up their Natures Marketplace magazine when your there. It has some good coupons. The last couple have had coupons for $1 off on UDI's products.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

We are members and we are supposed to be getting a magazine every month.. but we dont get it in the mail or anything.

They are AMAZING with things like this though. I called them just the other day because last week we wanted to get their turkey with sage breakfast sausage. It was labeled with a G but the last ingredient was maltodextrin from an unspecified source. We didn't get it but I took a pic of the packaging and called them about it. They took down my information and the product info and called their supplier and returned my call the next morning. It was infact gluten free (dont know why i doubted) the maltodextrin was made from corn.

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

In the US, maltodextrin is almost always corn. If it is from wheat, then by federal law (FALCPA) that must be clearly disclosed. I don't worry about maltodextrin.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:02 AM

We are members and we are supposed to be getting a magazine every month.. but we dont get it in the mail or anything.

They are AMAZING with things like this though. I called them just the other day because last week we wanted to get their turkey with sage breakfast sausage. It was labeled with a G but the last ingredient was maltodextrin from an unspecified source. We didn't get it but I took a pic of the packaging and called them about it. They took down my information and the product info and called their supplier and returned my call the next morning. It was infact gluten free (dont know why i doubted) the maltodextrin was made from corn.

They don't mail out the Nature's Marketplace mag that I know of although I do sometimes get their other general mag but I think that goes out quarterly. I pick up the Nature's Marketplace mag in the organic/gluten free ('Nature's Marketplace') section of the store. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: