This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Lotion

knomad

knomad Rookie

Help!

I have extremely dry, itchy skin - especially on my legs.  A dermatologist recommended Cetaphil to me 20 years ago and it has always worked well for me.

I have been gluten free for 4 years.  My last blood test were not good. I can't find anythink in the food I eat, so I have started looking at my cosmetics.  My toothpaste is gluten free as is my shampoo and I've started using a gluten free soap.  I've read that Galderma will not say if Cetaphil is gluten free.

My legs are dry, itchy, and flaky without the Cetaphil.  But, I can't find a lotion that is as thick and rich and moisturizing as the Cetaphil.  I've tried Cera Ve, Whole Food's Maximum Moisturing Lotion, and Skin by Ann Webb.  (I was told that the Skin by Ann Webb is gluten free, but I just noticed that my big tube does not say gluten free although a small tube that I have does.)  I also ordered lotion from Gluten Free Savonierre and am trying that now.

Does anyone know of a really good, rich moisturizer?  I've even thought about using the Cetaphil on just my legs, maybe even using gloves to put it on so I don't get it on my hands.

Thanks! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I don't see how lotion is making your antibodies "not good".  Use your Cetaphil.  Just because a company doesn't test its products for gluten,doesn't mean it has gluten in it.  You don't eat it so I would look for some other reasons.

Some things to check - 

Are there gluten eaters in your house?  That could be leading to some shared crumbs.

Are you eating what others cook for you? Don't eat out at restaurants or other homes.

Cut way back on any processed foods for a few months.  Eat very simple foods.

Are any daily medications gluten-free?  Probably are, but worth a check.

knomad Rookie

Thanks, Karen G!

My husband does not have to eat gluten free, but when he is at home he eats what I can eat.  He's so supportive!

We do eat out occasionally, (maybe once a week)  but I have been very, very careful and the two of us take a great deal of time explaing to the wait staff what I need.  We only go to a handful of restaurants that know me and seem to get it right.  I think I got glutened on Mother's Day.  I had ordered something off the gluten free menu and explained very carefully what I needed, but the waiter didn't seem to care.  When he brought the food, I asked again "is this gluten free" and his answer was "I put it on the ticket".  He also never brought my husband's entree.  But, we were with my husband's family and they don't take my celiac seriously and I got embarrassed and didn't want to make a fuss.  That was a mistake on my part and I will never do that again.

The doctor said my antigens were so high it could not be from a one time glutening (is that a word) and that I'm eating gluten every day - but I am not.

We do eat very simply - simple grilled meat, no seasoning, fresh veggies, and gluten free bread I make myself.  We go to the grocery store together and read every label every time.  I replaced all my utensils and our Teflon skillets and canisters when I first started this diet.

Our phamacist is in the process of checking all my medicines for gluten and I should know about that in the next day or two.

This has got me totally stumped, especially since he said I'm eating gluten every day.  I'm just looking for anything that might be contributing to this.  Or maybe it's just me, and a little gluten one time sends me sky high.  I am known for doing very strange things!

Thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The first thing I would advise is to stop eating out for a bit and see if that makes a difference. If you have doubts about your lotion invest in some disposable gloves, non-powdered, to apply it or wash your hands really well afterwards. Lotions are designed to leave a residue to hold moisture in and will leave a residue that could possibly be transfered to your food when you eat. Also check your pets food if you have them and switch to a gluten free food if your pet eats food with gluten. Your husband eats gluten free at home and that is great but if he eats or drinks gluten items outside the home does he brush his teeth well before you kiss? If not he should start doing so. 

Kias4 Apprentice

Did you try CeraVe lotion or CeraVe cream?  The cream is thicker and more moisturizing than the lotion (comes in a tub).  I can't imagine it not being moisturizing enough for you - it is very nice.  It also builds up your skin's barrier.

The baby section of Target has some moisturizers that are labeled gluten-free, so you could check there also. 

knomad Rookie

Kias4,

I've only got CeraVe lotion - I didn't know they made a heavier cream in a tub.  I'll go look for it.  Where do you find it - Walgreens, CVS, Target?

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Desert Essence Organics fragrance-free lotion is quite thick. I've only found it at one health-food store, but you can buy it online. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Kias4,

I've only got CeraVe lotion - I didn't know they made a heavier cream in a tub.  I'll go look for it.  Where do you find it - Walgreens, CVS, Target?

Yes.  I have even found it at walmart, too.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use Cerave, Vaseline Intensive Care Rescue, Jenna Hipp Hand Cream (sold at Costco), and Walmart's Equate cream in a jar which only has five ingredients! My girlfriend swears by coconut oil and she has celiac disease. Johnson and Johnson has a new line of Baby products that explains every ingredient. It is a bit runny though, but smells nice.

Kias4 Apprentice

Kias4,

Yes, you should be able to get it at any drugstore.  I've also purchased it at Target and Walmart.  Walmart is probably your cheapest bet. :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

The Walgreen's version of the Eucerin Cream (jar) is greasier. I prefer Walmart's knock-off.

Archived