arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Ever Been Glutened By Ground Beef?

• Please log in to reply

60 replies to this topic

#1 across

across

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

Twice I have bought some grass-fed ground beef and had symptoms of being glutened afterward. They were not patties, just regular grass-fed ground beef. Both times it was the same brand. Unfortunately, I have no other choice for grass-fed beef at the supermarket that I shop at (I know I can get it locally, but it's more of a pain).

The only other thing it might have been is that both times I served the beef in gluten-free spaghetti sauce (two different brands). I didn't serve them with any kind of pasta. In the past, I have been sensitive to tomatoes, but I was at the point that I thought I could eat them now.

Has anyone here ever had symptoms with ground beef cross contamination?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Maybe???
Can I ask you which brand it was that made you feel ill? I have felt a little off after eating a particular pre-packaged brand of grass fed beef, but I'm not sure how it would be from gluten, so I just assumed it didn't agree with me.
Otherwise, if you are buying it from the butcher case at the grocery store, I have read that they sometimes re-grind the beef on site and it could possibly get cross-contaminated depending on their handling practices or if there are breaded products in the same case. I do think it would be unusual for there to be problem with ground beef in general though.
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

#3 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Are there mushrooms in the sauce?

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

never from the beef itself (grass fed or otherwise) but i have done myself in with seasoning blends once or twice.  

once, we were on vacation and we patted out a ton of burgers (ok, 3 paper plates full) very carefully and then my friend took all the plates and stacked them (so only the top ones weren't cc'd from the kitchen counter) on his way out to the grill.  i grabbed the top plate and yelled at him.  clueless......  :o

what did you cook it in?  have you replaced your kitchen items that could be suspect (scratched non-stick pots & pans, wooden spoons, etc) ?

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Are there mushrooms in the sauce?

Mushrooms are safe for Celiacs

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

That's good to know.  I seem to react to them the same way I do gluten.  wonder why?

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Did you thoroughly cook the meat and avoid cross contamination from raw meat juices to the cooked meal?  Have you tried eating just tomato sauce without the ground beef to see if your problems with tomatoes are recurring?

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

I've been glutened by sausages made by my grocer's butcher but not by packaged meats. I don't know if I've just been lucky or if the brands I buy simply don't have any gluten ingredients in any of their products that could cause cross contamination on equipment. I'd check out what other products that manufacturer makes in order to see if there is something that would make their facilities obviously not gluten free.

Of course, you may never know what it was. I still suspect that some of my spices are a problem in my pantry - darned anti-flaking agents my biggest suspect.

#9 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I stopped eating beef almost 10 years ago because it made me nearly sick to my stomach every time I ate it. That was the first time I cut something from my diet. I would check spices and do elimination of some ingredients next time.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

Twice I have bought some grass-fed ground beef and had symptoms of being glutened afterward. They were not patties, just regular grass-fed ground beef. Both times it was the same brand. Unfortunately, I have no other choice for grass-fed beef at the supermarket that I shop at (I know I can get it locally, but it's more of a pain).

The only other thing it might have been is that both times I served the beef in gluten-free spaghetti sauce (two different brands). I didn't serve them with any kind of pasta. In the past, I have been sensitive to tomatoes, but I was at the point that I thought I could eat them now.

Has anyone here ever had symptoms with ground beef cross contamination?

Plain grass fed beef is not going to contain gluten. I cannot imagine how it could possibly be CCed. 

If you have a sensitivity to tomatoes and you served the beef in tomato sauce, then that's the more likely culprit.

When you have more than one ingredient in the preparation, it is not easy to determine what caused the symptoms.

Not everything is because of gluten. I have GI issues from tomatoes and a few other foods. it's not gluten cross contamination.

Single spices are G F. You should carefully check "seasoning blends" however. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

I could be wrong, but i think people have problems with certain combinations too. I know someone who gets terrible stomach issues from eating dairy with spicy food, but separately they are fine.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#12 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far! I plan to reply to them, but things have gone into overdrive here and I won't be able to respond until sometime next week. 

Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you, or ungrateful for your help. :-)

#13 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

Yes, I believe so - and it was some fancy 'brand' labeled Gluten Free.  No way to prove it, of course, but I've avoided that brand ever since.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but it comes in a black based seal pack and has fancy seasoned flavors in addition to the plain one (which is what got me).

#14 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

Maybe???
Can I ask you which brand it was that made you feel ill? I have felt a little off after eating a particular pre-packaged brand of grass fed beef, but I'm not sure how it would be from gluten, so I just assumed it didn't agree with me.
Otherwise, if you are buying it from the butcher case at the grocery store, I have read that they sometimes re-grind the beef on site and it could possibly get cross-contaminated depending on their handling practices or if there are breaded products in the same case. I do think it would be unusual for there to be problem with ground beef in general though.

I can't recall the brand name at the moment, but it was a pre-packaged brand from Australia.

#15 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

never from the beef itself (grass fed or otherwise) but i have done myself in with seasoning blends once or twice.  

once, we were on vacation and we patted out a ton of burgers (ok, 3 paper plates full) very carefully and then my friend took all the plates and stacked them (so only the top ones weren't cc'd from the kitchen counter) on his way out to the grill.  i grabbed the top plate and yelled at him.  clueless......  :o

what did you cook it in?  have you replaced your kitchen items that could be suspect (scratched non-stick pots & pans, wooden spoons, etc) ?

I haven't yet replaced my cookware. (I'm still pretty new to all this).  I wonder if that might be part of the problem. Using an acidic tomato sauce would be likely to loosen anything clinging to the pans or the wooden spoons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: