Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Ever Been Glutened By Ground Beef?

• Please log in to reply

60 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I do not know where you are all getting this information, but let's just back up for a second.  :)

(1) meat is not cross contaminated "at the plant"

(2) supermarkets may mix up a meatloaf mix, sure...but they do not put breadcrumbs in it--it's just veal, pork, beef!

Unless they LABEL IT AS SUCH!

(3) all meats have a black bottomed stryo package

yes, you should not buy a "burger patty with seasoning and breadcrumbs" pre-packaged  from the case!!

but a sealed package of plain ground beef? is fine. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Only meat is killed, processed, etc at the meat factory.  Plain hamburger must be plain burger.  IF it is a mix of something, it has to say the ingredients.  Lots of stores/brands use a black bottom.  Some use a white one.  

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#33 michellec26

michellec26

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

I do not know where you are all getting this information, but let's just back up for a second.  :)

(1) meat is not cross contaminated "at the plant"

(2) supermarkets may mix up a meatloaf mix, sure...but they do not put breadcrumbs in it--it's just veal, pork, beef!

Unless they LABEL IT AS SUCH!

yes, you should not buy a "burger patty with seasoning and breadcrumbs" pre-packaged  from the case!!

but a sealed package of plain ground beef? is fine. 

Not true. My market has a pre-mixed meat loaf that DOES have bread crumbs in it.  They also make crab stuffed sole, which also has breadcrumbs in it. Of course that is labeled. If some ground beef accidentally came in contact with an allergen, it would NOT be labeled, it probably would have been unnoticed. MANY vacuum packed things ARE mixed and packaged at a plant. I do not think it is wise to make a blanket statement otherwise.  

#34 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Not true. My market has a pre-mixed meat loaf that DOES have bread crumbs in it.  They also make crab stuffed sole, which also has breadcrumbs in it. Of course that is labeled. If some ground beef accidentally came in contact with an allergen, it would NOT be labeled, it probably would have been unnoticed. MANY vacuum packed things ARE mixed and packaged at a plant. I do not think it is wise to make a blanket statement otherwise.  

Why would a meat packing plant run all the meat through an extra process (the meat loaf mixing machine)?  I am just curious about that.  But, if you are worried about meat, you shouldn't eat it.  Or you can get it straight from a farmer that you can quiz about practices.  

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#35 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

You are saying two different things here, hon.

(1) yes, meats and seafood can be mixed with bread crumbs at the store for sale

(2) these things are not packaged at a plant 

Anything that is, is labeled as "may contain"...fill in the blank.

(3) plain ground beef--is just that

Thanks to labeling laws, this is not that difficult.They have to declare allergens==it is the law.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#36 michellec26

michellec26

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

You are saying two different things here, hon.

(1) yes, meats and seafood can be mixed with bread crumbs at the store for sale

(2) these things are not packaged at a plant 

Anything that is, is labeled as "may contain"...fill in the blank.

(3) plain ground beef--is just that

Thanks to labeling laws, this is not that difficult.They have to declare allergens==it is the law.

I answered two things that you mentioned in your reply to me. 1: that some stores DO have pre-mixed meat loaf containing breadcrumbs: you said that stores DO NOT. That is INCORRECT, because they have it at my local store. 2: I am fully aware of the practices at meat packaging plants. They process tons and tons of meat at one time and packaging things for ONE client COULD include more than one type of finished product. For example, ready made patties (containing fillers) and PLAIN ground beef. Wheat is a commonly found meat extender.  If the equipment used to grind and mix the meat is shared, and is not properly cleaned, cross contamination COULD occur. OR, if another client's products containing allergens were mixed before the plain ground beef, and the equipment wasn't properly cleaned, cross contamination could occur. For example: Organic Prairie, one of the largest retailers of pre-packaged grass fed beef,  has this disclaimer on their site < All of the products listed on this page are naturally gluten-free. However, this does not preclude the possibility of cross-contamination during the production process>.  I don't know if we can post links here, but I found it by searching <are all organic prairie products gluten free?> CC IS a possibility. I am not talking about a labeling issue, I am talking about a possible cross-contamination issue, and after living with celiac disease for almost 20 years now, I know better than to take ANYONE making a blanket statement as fact.  I research as much as I can. 

#37 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

CC IS a possibility. I am not talking about a labeling issue, I am talking about a possible cross-contamination issue, and after living with celiac disease for

almost 20 years now, I know better than to take ANYONE making a blanket statement as fact.  I research as much as I can. 

what you are, in actuality doing, is making people unnecessarily afraid to eat plain ground beef.  i have never once been glutened by plain ground beef.  it has to be labeled if there is anything added to plain ground beef.  where ever they make it, they have to label it if there is anything added to plain ground beef.   if you would like to make a statement like that, you need to provide credible evidence of such.  and i am talking about things being added into plain ground beef such as wheat being added into plain ground beef as an extender and not being labeled as such.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#38 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I responded to the issue of the black-bottomed package because it is a rather distinctive packaging that I have never seen before on any other ground beef product. It is NOT a black-bottomed styo package. It is a square, soft plastic black packaging which is easily seen from the front of the package, and it has a distinctive appearance.

I didn't mention the manufacturer's name because I didn't want to slander them if there was, indeed, no problem with their product.

#39 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

what you are, in actuality doing, is making people unnecessarily afraid to eat plain ground beef.  i have never once been glutened by plain ground beef.  it has to be labeled if there is anything added to plain ground beef.  where ever they make it, they have to label it if there is anything added to plain ground beef.   if you would like to make a statement like that, you need to provide credible evidence of such.  and i am talking about things being added into plain ground beef such as wheat being added into plain ground beef as an extender and not being labeled as such.

Cross contamination and additives are two entirely different things.

#40 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

As the OP, can I request that this thread be closed? I simply wanted to know if anyone else had ever had a bad experience with ground beef. I wasn't looking to start a fight.

#41 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

No reason to close this thread, as it is certainly fair to discuss this here. Anything can be cross-contaminated, and in a butcher's refrigerator case I've seen the butchers grab pre-made meatballs with bread crums in them and use their same plastic glove-covered hands to grab ground beef--do you want to eat that celiacs??

Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#42 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

I agree completely Scott, There is cut and dry answer. yes pure ground beef is gluten free  but unless you see them grind it    after pulling the grinder out of a sterilizer, there is no guarantee.  As for labeling  I can't trust. Small local stores dont follow the same rules as big companies even if they are supposed too.  For those of us who have been glutened by  cross contamination and mislabeling from ground beef and other items have good reason not to rust labeling. As for laws that say  things must be labeled, yes there are laws. Does   everyone follow them? Not at all.  I wont put my health at risk by believing a blanket statement that all ground beef is safe unless I grind it myself.

No reason to close this thread, as it is certainly fair to discuss this here. Anything can be cross-contaminated, and in a butcher's refrigerator case I've seen the butchers grab pre-made meatballs with bread crums in them and use their same plastic glove-covered hands to grab ground beef--do you want to eat that celiacs??

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

#43 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Across,

Wish there was a like button for your comments!

Cross contamination and additives are two entirely different things.

Japanese proverb

#44 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Like butt for you too 

michellec26

I answered two things that you mentioned in your reply to me. 1: that some stores DO have pre-mixed meat loaf containing breadcrumbs: you said that stores DO NOT. That is INCORRECT, because they have it at my local store. 2: I am fully aware of the practices at meat packaging plants. They process tons and tons of meat at one time and packaging things for ONE client COULD include more than one type of finished product. For example, ready made patties (containing fillers) and PLAIN ground beef. Wheat is a commonly found meat extender.  If the equipment used to grind and mix the meat is shared, and is not properly cleaned, cross contamination COULD occur. OR, if another client's products containing allergens were mixed before the plain ground beef, and the equipment wasn't properly cleaned, cross contamination could occur. For example: Organic Prairie, one of the largest retailers of pre-packaged grass fed beef,  has this disclaimer on their site < All of the products listed on this page are naturally gluten-free. However, this does not preclude the possibility of cross-contamination during the production process>.  I don't know if we can post links here, but I found it by searching <are all organic prairie products gluten free?> CC IS a possibility. I am not talking about a labeling issue, I am talking about a possible cross-contamination issue, and after living with celiac disease for almost 20 years now, I know better than to take ANYONE making a blanket statement as fact.  I research as much as I can. 

Japanese proverb

#45 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I also recommend trying ground lamb. Very tasty and so far, it is generally not as bad when it comes to the problems associated with factory farming. Cows actually die from digestive problems if they eat corn for more than a couple of months. The current practice of fattening them up on corn before being butchered means that the dangerous bacteria that grow in their gut is found in much higher quantities. Also, most slaughterhouses these days end up mixing the meat of hundreds of cows together so if one animal's meat is contaminated, it may contaminate the rest of the batch as well. That is why steak tartar is no longer available in restaurants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: