4 replies to this topic

#1 Nevadan

Nevadan

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:22 AM

Today's (11/1/05) WSJ has a good article regarding gluten-free: "Choices Grow for Wheat-free Diets".

It begins by mentioning a surging demand for gluten-free products driven by more awareness of gluten sensitivities; in addition to celiac disease it lists several of the other health problems related to GS - even mentions the possible autism connectin. It acutally makes gluten sensitivities sound pretty mainstream and valid.

It goes on to say the foodmarket and restaurant are eying this specially market with great interest - mentions examples like Walmarts new food labeling requirements and Whole Foods new gluten-free bakery. They are viewing it as a good market expansion opportunity which is somewhat rare in the slow growth food industry.

It discusses the prevalence of celiac disease - it's not rare, affects up to 3 million Americans, etc. It also very briefly, but clearly, highlights some of the symptoms and related health problems of GS.

Quotes:
Allessio Fasano, dir of U of Maryland Center for Celiac Research, saying membership in celiac support groups now have 95,000 members, up from 40,000 in 2003.

Scott Adams, our own, crediting celiacs "constant bombardment" of food companies re gluten-free content as being a big influence.

Overall I think articles such as this go a long way to increasing the awareness of gluten issues. My biggest critique is that it sort of implies that being gluten-free is all about being able to buy pre-packaged gluten-free food just like today's American Standard Diet instead of eating more fresh fruits, vegs, meats, fish prepared simply without gulten containind sauces.

George

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 4getgluten

4getgluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

My biggest critique is that it sort of implies that being gluten-free is all about being able to buy pre-packaged gluten-free food just like today's American Standard Diet instead of eating more fresh fruits, vegs, meats, fish prepared simply without gulten containind sauces.
George

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just read the article and thought they same thing. They printed a chart showing the increase in gluten-free food sales, and I wondered about all the naturally gluten-free food people eat. It was if Celiac's only buy pre-packaged food. Anyhow, it's great to see an article on Celiac in the WSJ. Even better, my co-worker saw it first and pointed it out to me, which gave me the opportunity to tell even more about celiac disease.
Karen
gluten-free since March 05

#3 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

Would someone be willing to paste in the full text? You have to subscribe to read it.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#4 Nevadan

Nevadan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

Would someone be willing to paste in the full text? You have to subscribe to read it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I originally summarized the article because the WSJ subscription agreement clearly forbids copying any of their articles to anywhere, including forums. I think that's a bad deal, but I decided to stick to their rules. HOWEVER, I mentioned the article on the Braintalk forum and someone else posted the article there. You can read it at: http://brain.hastypa...ad.php?t=107760
It's the third entry in the thread. Enjoy.

George

#5 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:30 AM

Thanks, George!
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05