#1 Prosons

Prosons

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi Everyone, 

I have Gluten sensitivity. I've been gluten free since February 5th. Beginning three days ago I began using a hand cream with vitamin E and to my surprise on the third day of use I happened to be in the sun and I got a terribly itchy rash in all the places I used it. The rash was particularly bad on my forearms. I had a similar rash on my scalp and groin, however, it cleared up since going gluten free. In addition to the rash I also noticed my anxiety and depression has ramped up considerably. My initial thought was this was a reaction to the sun, however, this didn't make any sense because I've been in the sun many without this type of reaction. We happened to read the ingredients on the hand cream and noticed "wheat germ oil". In looking this up I noticed it is refined so that gluten may not be a problem but I am allergic to wheat also, a slow reaction allergy, igG.

My sense is that my immune system ramped up to cause these reactions. Can anyone tell me if this might be a typical DH rash?

Thank you,

Frank  

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

I do not have DH, but you might type it in the search box of the forum. Many have shared pictures.

Take care!
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Prosons

Prosons

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

I do not have DH, but you might type it in the search box of the forum. Many have shared pictures.

Take care!

Thank you cyclinglady!

#4 SoLacey

SoLacey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

I wonder...I do have DH and I also get terribly itchy if I use creams with wheat in them.  My two reactions are two different things.  If I eat enough gluten I get DH, I don't seem to get it from cross contamination thankfully.  DH is a blistery itchy rash.  I can feel it coming 2-3 days before the blisters show up. 

If I use shampoo or conditioner for example, my scalp gets extremely itchy for two or three days then dry scalp usually follows.  Reading your post I would guess your wheat allergy is what caused that and it's not DH. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: