This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Pretzels Always Make Me Sick

Kias4

Kias4 Apprentice

Any thoughts on why gluten-free pretzels always make me sick?   All of them have soy I've noticed.  Could it be that I'm intolerant to the soy, or is it more likely that the soy flour is contaminated with gluten (if that happens)?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If you think you have a problem with soy, why not eat some pure soy and nothing else? See if it bothers you.

Adalaide Mentor

I agree, try plain soy and see if it's a problem. Or try pretzels without soy flour. I only eat Snyder's which have soy lecithin but not soy flour. I enjoy them as much as, if not more than I did gluten pretzels, and my gluten eating husband agrees that they're every bit as good. I have to hide them from him. :ph34r:

Kias4 Apprentice

Thanks! I read online that soy is often contaminated with gluten, even plain soybeans, so I still wouldn't be able to tell if it was the soy or gluten in the soy unless I knew for sure that the soybeans were not contaminated.  I guess one way to check would to be to find a gluten-free soy product that is certified gluten-free.

Thank you for mentioning the Snyder's gluten-free pretzels without soy flour! I had no idea they existed!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Nasoya and Mori Nu are both reliably gluten-free. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can not live without soy! Neither my husband nor I have been glutened by soy and we adore endaname and I use them in my chili as they are low in carbs and good for diabetes. I live on soymilk since I have a milk and tree nut allergy and an intolerance to coconut. I am drinking an iced coffee with soy, right this very instant!

To test for any suspected intolerance, remove it from your diet and wait seven days. Then eat just that food in pure form for breakfast, and wait. Record all your symptoms up to 48 hours. Eat other things for the rest of the day. Do not do this if you suspect an allergy.

I rarely bought pretzels, but I can imagine they might have Xanthan gum or other gum as a binder. I found out after baking with it for years for my husband, that I could not tolerate Xanthan gum. I felt like I was getting glutened, but it was the Xanthan gum. I also realized, duh!, that I should have followed everyone's advice about not eating processed foods until I was well healed. But I was stupid and could not resist gluten-free cookies that I baked myself and used Xanthan gum for other cakes and breads. The good news is that I can tolerate it now, but I avoid it because I am on a low carb diet -- no bread, cookies or cake for me.

Live and learn!

Soy may very well be your problem. I admit it is a common allergen, but it does me know harm. corn could also be a culprit too.

Good luck!

124chicksinger Apprentice

I agree, try plain soy and see if it's a problem. Or try pretzels without soy flour. I only eat Snyder's which have soy lecithin but not soy flour. I enjoy them as much as, if not more than I did gluten pretzels, and my gluten eating husband agrees that they're every bit as good. I have to hide them from him. :ph34r:

While I agree, these are better than the "real" Snyder's pretzels (especially the sticks), I found that they sit in my stomach, and I think form a type of "spackle" there.  When I first ate them I was in pretzel bliss.  Maybe by the 3rd time, I realized they bothered my stomach.  After finishing off about 1/2 of the 2nd bag over a few weeks, I realized they really are the cause of my "tight" feeling belly.  I don't eat them now.  I thought perhaps it was all the starch; never thought about soy anything.   Oh, and I miss tofu~!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

athomp34 Newbie

I also have an issue with Xanthan gum (all gums except cellulose gum- I'm still holding out hope that one day I can tolerate them again). I'm almost positive that snyders and glutino gluten-free pretzels are gum free though.

I finally figured out that potato starch and corn also give me issues and had to give up the pretzels because of it. Hope you figure out what is bothering you soon!

Archived