29 replies to this topic

#1 linzi100

linzi100

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hi All, I am new to this forum & first time posting.

I have celiac disease, its been almost 2 years.  I now have a handle on what I can & can't eat and if I'm unsure then I won't touch it.

However, I'm in need of some tips on gluten-free Hair Dye.  I'm one of those very sensitive Celiac's and have breathing issues walking through the bakery isle of my local supermarket.   I'm looking for a safe and gluten free hair dye.  Apologies if this question has already been asked on here.

I live in Dubai, so our products are limited to those available in the USA.

Thanks for any tips!

L

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

Welcome to the forum, Linzi!  I moved your topic to a special section we have for Celiacs who are super sensitive, so you can get some insight from others who have the same sensitivity problems as you.  I am not sure on the hair dye thing but I am sure some of our ladies will be able to help you out! :)

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

Welcome to the board. I have used Garneir Nutritionesse (not sure I got the spelling correct) and have also used Herbatint. You may want to do a board search for other brands. I don't know why this topic got moved and hope you get other replies and are able to find your post. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

i use whatever's on sale.  (garnier nutriesse, nice n easy, olia, i know i have used)  i just don't rinse it in the shower like i used to.  i either rinse in the bathtub with a cup or in the sink under the tap.  but i don't get sick from walking down the bread aisle.  which is why you are super sensitive, i suppose, and other supers may have a better answer for you than the general celiac population.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

I am super sensitive to gluten and oats.  It is really hard to tell what is making you sick, especially when it happens often, like has been a problem for me.  I figured, why add another possibility?  It just confuses things further.  By now I'm well much of the time, but I got used to the grey.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

I will never be gray. I refuse, :)

I go to the salon and have my hair colored. Totally worth it. Lasts much  longer and I have never had a reaction of any kind and I am pretty

sensitive to trace CC. 

when I could not get there for some reason, I have used Garnier. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 linzi100

linzi100

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

I will never be gray. I refuse, :)

I go to the salon and have my hair colored. Totally worth it. Lasts much  longer and I have never had a reaction of any kind and I am pretty
sensitive to trace CC. 

when I could not get there for some reason, I have used Garnier.

Thanks for your replies guys. I had hoped for lots of options but maybe my post isn't been seen by the wider gluten-free community.
Can it be moved ???

Irishheart: which garnier dye was it? There are many variations?
I need to get it right - the symptoms are too severe if I get caught out!

Thanks again

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. I had hoped for lots of options but maybe my post isn't been seen by the wider gluten-free community.
Can it be moved ???
Thanks again

You say you are super sensitive. That is a very small percentage of Celiacs. What most Celiacs use or eat won't work for you. That is why you haven't gotten many answers. For me, it's no big deal what's in the dye as I don't get it in my mouth. But I don't think of my self as "super sensitive".

I would think you would need to call and quiz the manufacturers of various brands you might want to use? Perhaps, as was suggested, dyeing your hair is too risky?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Can it be moved ???

Your topic can be seen by everyone.  Most Celiacs do not have a topical reaction to gluten and only have to worry about gluten getting in their mouth.  So putting your post in the super sensitive category (which you are) lets people know so it prevents the huge number of replies that would tell you that you don't have to worry about gluten-free hair dye unless you are getting it in your mouth.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

Can it be moved ???

Thanks again

I was mistaken about the brand. So sorry. It was L'Oreal. This one:

http://www.drugstore...741&kpid=149741

Hon, honestly, unless you have a topical wheat allergy, something applied to your skin or scalp, in this case, should not be an issue.

You are not going to swallow it and even if there were any form of minute gluten particle in the solution, it would be so remote that it

could in any way "gluten you". You should be fine!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 MermaidPaz

MermaidPaz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:57 AM

I am topically sensitive to gluten.  I made the mistake of using a Wen hair product, which has hydrolyzed wheat protein clearly on the label.  I wanted to scratch my scalp off for days.  I had instantly bad dandruff.  I thought I was going to have to duct tape oven mitts onto my hands to keep from scratching my head until it bled.  But it's important to note that I did not have any other symptoms...nothing involving pain, fog, fatigue or gastro upset like I normally get.  Only the topical reaction.  Luckily for me I did not swallow any or I would have had to take a 48 hour nap.  I have heard that Garnier Nutrisse hair dyes are all considered gluten-free.  Unfortunately, I haven't tested any of them myself.  Sorry I couldn't be more help but please, update us if you find a product that works for you.  Best of luck!  :)

Hashimoto's disease, Fibromyalgia, IC, lifelong migraines, and chronic vomiting...all improved when completely wheat and food irritant free.  Reversing 7 years of illness is a tough and slow road.  I'm so grateful for the advice and support here, something so basic that's hard to find in a doctor's office.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

I am topically sensitive to gluten.  I made the mistake of using a Wen hair product, which has hydrolyzed wheat protein clearly on the label.  I wanted to scratch my scalp off for days.  I had instantly bad dandruff.  I thought I was going to have to duct tape oven mitts onto my hands to keep from scratching my head until it bled.  But it's important to note that I did not have any other symptoms...nothing involving pain, fog, fatigue or gastro upset like I normally get.  Only the topical reaction.  Luckily for me I did not swallow any or I would have had to take a 48 hour nap.  I have heard that Garnier Nutrisse hair dyes are all considered gluten-free.  Unfortunately, I haven't tested any of them myself.  Sorry I couldn't be more help but please, update us if you find a product that works for you.  Best of luck!  :)

Not to wander off topic here, but I tried a Wen shampoo and wish I could have all that money back. That stuff is awful. It made my hair flat,

dull and it looked like it was full of grease. I was so disappointed after seeing all the rave reviews about it. I have no idea why people say it's fantastic. Might as well just rub hand lotion in you hair and get the same result.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

I had the same thing with the Wen Shampoo, flat and dull.  Never have tried anything as bad as that one.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 linzi100

linzi100

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

I was mistaken about the brand. So sorry. It was L'Oreal. This one:

http://www.drugstore...741&kpid=149741

Hon, honestly, unless you have a topical wheat allergy, something applied to your skin or scalp, in this case, should not be an issue.

You are not going to swallow it and even if there were any form of minute gluten particle in the solution, it would be so remote that it

could in any way "gluten you". You should be fine!

Thanks for the link …  but when I open and read it states many gluten ingredients…. Is this the link you wanted to send ?

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the link …  but when I open and read it states many gluten ingredients…. Is this the link you wanted to send ?

Yes.

The only mention is "Hydrolyzed wheat" which is not an issue in topical products for people with celiac. You are not eating it.

Don't use it if you are worried about it, but it never bothered me.

The experts say this(below) but again, if it bothers you, don't use it. 

Several celiac experts (Dr. Peter Green - Celiac Disease Center at Columbia Univ., Dr. Stephano Guandalini - Univ. of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, Dr. Alessio Fasano - Univ. of Maryland Center for Celiac Research) say not to worry about gluten in hair/skin care products because the gluten must be consumed in order for it to cause a celiac reaction [villi damage]. Their reasoning, based on scientific evidence - size matters. The gluten proteins are simply too large to be absorbed by your body's largest organ - your skin.

Did you know - skin makes up about 16% of your body weight?

Cynthia Kupper, RD, Executive Director of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America says:

"While investigating the possible absorption of gluten through the skin, I have talked with many regulatory organizations, and research and development people in the cosmetic industry. They all agree that gluten and all proteins are too large to be absorbed through the skin. Therefore, topical care products that contain gluten do not need to be avoided by persons with celiac disease and DH."

Source:
http://www.glutenfre...y-about-gluten/

According to Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland, 

“If you have celiac disease, then the application of gluten containing products to the skin should not be a problem, unless you have skin lesions that allow gluten to be absorbed systemically in great quantities.

Source: 

Tricia Thompson, RD – The Gluten-Free Dietitian says:

"The bottom line: There is no scientific evidence that the use of gluten-containing products that are not ingested is harmful to persons with celiac disease. This includes individuals with dermatitis herpetiformis. 

Source:

Doug Schoon, President of Schoon Scientific (scientific consulting for the cosmetics industry) - 

"There is no scientific evidence to support claims that gluten can absorb through the skin. The burden of proof should be on those who make these statements. They should provide credible scientific evidence to back this unlikely claim. 

What makes gluten unlikely to absorb? Substances with molecular weights (sizes) approaching 500 daltons are considered very poor skin penetrators because they are so large. Any bigger, they can’t possibly absorb into the skin, so they just sit on the surface. Gluten is huge — about 600 daltons — which is pretty monstrous; 15% larger than the theoretical maximum size. 

Also, gluten is a protein and so is skin. Protein is attracted to proteins, so gluten is likely to bond tightly to skin making it more difficult to penetrate. So it has two things going against it. This is just another example of an unfounded cosmetic myth used to frighten people. The same holds true for lipstick. There is little scientific study that supports the notion that gluten in lipstick is a problem for people with Celiac disease."

Source:http://www.nailsmag....hrough-the-skin

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: