This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Hair Dye

linzi100

linzi100 Newbie

Hi All, I am new to this forum & first time posting.

I have celiac disease, its been almost 2 years.  I now have a handle on what I can & can't eat and if I'm unsure then I won't touch it.

However, I'm in need of some tips on gluten-free Hair Dye.  I'm one of those very sensitive Celiac's and have breathing issues walking through the bakery isle of my local supermarket.   I'm looking for a safe and gluten free hair dye.  Apologies if this question has already been asked on here.

I live in Dubai, so our products are limited to those available in the USA.

Thanks for any tips!

L

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome to the forum, Linzi!  I moved your topic to a special section we have for Celiacs who are super sensitive, so you can get some insight from others who have the same sensitivity problems as you.  I am not sure on the hair dye thing but I am sure some of our ladies will be able to help you out! :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board. I have used Garneir Nutritionesse (not sure I got the spelling correct) and have also used Herbatint. You may want to do a board search for other brands. I don't know why this topic got moved and hope you get other replies and are able to find your post. 

notme Experienced

i use whatever's on sale.  (garnier nutriesse, nice n easy, olia, i know i have used)  i just don't rinse it in the shower like i used to.  i either rinse in the bathtub with a cup or in the sink under the tap.  but i don't get sick from walking down the bread aisle.  which is why you are super sensitive, i suppose, and other supers may have a better answer for you than the general celiac population.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am super sensitive to gluten and oats.  It is really hard to tell what is making you sick, especially when it happens often, like has been a problem for me.  I figured, why add another possibility?  It just confuses things further.  By now I'm well much of the time, but I got used to the grey.

IrishHeart Veteran

I will never be gray. I refuse, :)

I go to the salon and have my hair colored. Totally worth it. Lasts much  longer and I have never had a reaction of any kind and I am pretty

sensitive to trace CC. 

when I could not get there for some reason, I have used Garnier. 

linzi100 Newbie

I will never be gray. I refuse, :)

I go to the salon and have my hair colored. Totally worth it. Lasts much  longer and I have never had a reaction of any kind and I am pretty

sensitive to trace CC. 

when I could not get there for some reason, I have used Garnier.

Thanks for your replies guys. I had hoped for lots of options but maybe my post isn't been seen by the wider gluten-free community.

Can it be moved ???

Irishheart: which garnier dye was it? There are many variations?

I need to get it right - the symptoms are too severe if I get caught out!

Thanks again

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for your replies guys. I had hoped for lots of options but maybe my post isn't been seen by the wider gluten-free community.

Can it be moved ???

Thanks again

You say you are super sensitive. That is a very small percentage of Celiacs. What most Celiacs use or eat won't work for you. That is why you haven't gotten many answers. For me, it's no big deal what's in the dye as I don't get it in my mouth. But I don't think of my self as "super sensitive".

I would think you would need to call and quiz the manufacturers of various brands you might want to use? Perhaps, as was suggested, dyeing your hair is too risky?

LauraTX Rising Star

Can it be moved ???

Your topic can be seen by everyone.  Most Celiacs do not have a topical reaction to gluten and only have to worry about gluten getting in their mouth.  So putting your post in the super sensitive category (which you are) lets people know so it prevents the huge number of replies that would tell you that you don't have to worry about gluten-free hair dye unless you are getting it in your mouth.

IrishHeart Veteran

Can it be moved ???

Thanks again

I was mistaken about the brand. So sorry. It was L'Oreal. This one:

Open Original Shared Link

Hon, honestly, unless you have a topical wheat allergy, something applied to your skin or scalp, in this case, should not be an issue.

You are not going to swallow it and even if there were any form of minute gluten particle in the solution, it would be so remote that it

could in any way "gluten you". You should be fine!

MermaidPaz Newbie

I am topically sensitive to gluten.  I made the mistake of using a Wen hair product, which has hydrolyzed wheat protein clearly on the label.  I wanted to scratch my scalp off for days.  I had instantly bad dandruff.  I thought I was going to have to duct tape oven mitts onto my hands to keep from scratching my head until it bled.  But it's important to note that I did not have any other symptoms...nothing involving pain, fog, fatigue or gastro upset like I normally get.  Only the topical reaction.  Luckily for me I did not swallow any or I would have had to take a 48 hour nap.  I have heard that Garnier Nutrisse hair dyes are all considered gluten-free.  Unfortunately, I haven't tested any of them myself.  Sorry I couldn't be more help but please, update us if you find a product that works for you.  Best of luck!  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I am topically sensitive to gluten.  I made the mistake of using a Wen hair product, which has hydrolyzed wheat protein clearly on the label.  I wanted to scratch my scalp off for days.  I had instantly bad dandruff.  I thought I was going to have to duct tape oven mitts onto my hands to keep from scratching my head until it bled.  But it's important to note that I did not have any other symptoms...nothing involving pain, fog, fatigue or gastro upset like I normally get.  Only the topical reaction.  Luckily for me I did not swallow any or I would have had to take a 48 hour nap.  I have heard that Garnier Nutrisse hair dyes are all considered gluten-free.  Unfortunately, I haven't tested any of them myself.  Sorry I couldn't be more help but please, update us if you find a product that works for you.  Best of luck!  :)

Not to wander off topic here, but I tried a Wen shampoo and wish I could have all that money back. That stuff is awful. It made my hair flat,

dull and it looked like it was full of grease. I was so disappointed after seeing all the rave reviews about it. I have no idea why people say it's fantastic. Might as well just rub hand lotion in you hair and get the same result.

GF Lover Rising Star

I had the same thing with the Wen Shampoo, flat and dull.  Never have tried anything as bad as that one.

Colleen

linzi100 Newbie

I was mistaken about the brand. So sorry. It was L'Oreal. This one:

Hon, honestly, unless you have a topical wheat allergy, something applied to your skin or scalp, in this case, should not be an issue.

You are not going to swallow it and even if there were any form of minute gluten particle in the solution, it would be so remote that it

could in any way "gluten you". You should be fine!

Thanks for the link …  but when I open and read it states many gluten ingredients…. Is this the link you wanted to send ?

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for the link …  but when I open and read it states many gluten ingredients…. Is this the link you wanted to send ?

Yes.

The only mention is "Hydrolyzed wheat" which is not an issue in topical products for people with celiac. You are not eating it.

Don't use it if you are worried about it, but it never bothered me.

The experts say this(below) but again, if it bothers you, don't use it. 

Several celiac experts (Dr. Peter Green - Celiac Disease Center at Columbia Univ., Dr. Stephano Guandalini - Univ. of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, Dr. Alessio Fasano - Univ. of Maryland Center for Celiac Research) say not to worry about gluten in hair/skin care products because the gluten must be consumed in order for it to cause a celiac reaction [villi damage]. Their reasoning, based on scientific evidence - size matters. The gluten proteins are simply too large to be absorbed by your body's largest organ - your skin.

Did you know - skin makes up about 16% of your body weight?

Cynthia Kupper, RD, Executive Director of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America says:

"While investigating the possible absorption of gluten through the skin, I have talked with many regulatory organizations, and research and development people in the cosmetic industry. They all agree that gluten and all proteins are too large to be absorbed through the skin. Therefore, topical care products that contain gluten do not need to be avoided by persons with
celiac disease
and DH."

Source:

MermaidPaz Newbie

IrishHeart is absolutely right and has furnished a lot of great links to make her point.  It's true that Celiacs specifically don't react topically to products containing wheat.  For a Celiac, products containing gluten are fine as long as they're never going in or near your mouth.  This is not to say, however, that someone may not have a wheat allergy apart from or in addition to Celiac or NCGS.  A true allergy to wheat (not oral consumption of gluten that fuels an autoimmune disease) can create a topical reaction, even on unbroken skin.  This could be part of the reason she considers herself "super sensitive", because the majority of even severe Celiacs on this forum aren't going to care whether or not the hair dye that they use maybe once a month has wheat in it.  That being said, if you don't have a wheat allergy and you have Celiac or NCGS, you may find that a dye with wheat derivatives will work just fine for you.  I can only tell you from personal experience that not everyone will tolerate it as well as the majority does.

IrishHeart Veteran

This is why I always say...do what's best for you. 

dilettantesteph Collaborator

What does this mean?

Copied from Irishheart's post:

"Source:

According to Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland, 

“If you have celiac disease, then the application of gluten containing products to the skin should not be a problem, unless you have skin lesions that allow gluten to be absorbed systemically in great quantities.""

Does that mean that there is scientific evidence for absorbtion of gluten with skin lesions?

IrishHeart Veteran

What does this mean?

Copied from Irishheart's post:

"Source:

According to Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland, 

“If you have celiac disease, then the application of gluten containing products to the skin should not be a problem, unless you have skin lesions that allow gluten to be absorbed systemically in great quantities.""

Does that mean that there is scientific evidence for absorbtion of gluten with skin lesions?

I have never seen any myself but I think this is significant....he says 

"systemically in great quantities "...I don't know what that means really...how would that even happen?

That's a question for Dr, Fasano, I think. 

LauraTX Rising Star

Systemically would be into your body.  For example, lets say you have a skin condition like psoriasis or another condition that can give you open sores all over the body.  Those open sores are now a gateway through your skin that is not normally there.  At that point you really shouldn't put anything on those sore that wasn't designed to be put on them, because topical products are not meant to be introduced to your internal body system.  

IrishHeart Veteran

Systemically would be into your body.  For example, lets say you have a skin condition like psoriasis or another condition that can give you open sores all over the body.  Those open sores are now a gateway through your skin that is not normally there.  At that point you really shouldn't put anything on those sore that wasn't designed to be put on them, because topical products are not meant to be introduced to your internal body system.  

lol

No, I know what the words "systematically" and "in great quantities" means ^_^  what I am not sure of is how gluten could possibly be

administered "in great quantities" via the skin into open lesions. seems strange...Someone is going to roll around in wheat flour?

How is that possible since the gluten molecule is too large to pass through skin?

I have tried to figure this out...... Say you have open lesions galore...in what FORM

would gluten be administered to create a gut response? It just does not make sense and I have always been perplexed by this statement from Dr. Fasano.

Again, maybe we should write to Dr. F and ask him to clarify. Seriously, because there is NO evidence that gluten can pass through the skin

and somehow end up in  the bloodstream.

LauraTX Rising Star

lol

No, I know what the words "systematically" and "in great quantities" means ^_^  what I am not sure of is how gluten could possibly be

administered "in great quantities" via the skin into open lesions. seems strange...Someone is going to roll around in wheat flour?

How is that possible since the gluten molecule is too large to pass through skin?

I have tried to figure this out...... Say you have open lesions galore...in what FORM

would gluten be administered to create a gut response? It just does not make sense and I have always been perplexed by this statement from Dr. Fasano.

Again, maybe we should write to Dr. F and ask him to clarify. Seriously, because there is NO evidence that gluten can pass through the skin

and somehow end up in  the bloodstream.

Yep, what would you have to do, torture someone with a cutting device and then roll them in flour?  Okay, I need to stop this wild imagination!  LOL

IrishHeart Veteran

Yep, what would you have to do, torture someone with a cutting device and then roll them in flour?  Okay, I need to stop this wild imagination!  LOL

too late.... Now I have an image of us all .. like a pounded piece of veal being coated in flour, dipped in egg and made into veal piccata.

LauraTX Rising Star

HAHAHA!  That is exactly what vision I had in my head!   

<.<

>.>

<.<

GottaSki Mentor

too late.... Now I have an image of us all .. like a pounded piece of veal being coated in flour, dipped in egg and made into veal piccata.

talk about late...I walked into this thread and started with the last post

doh...I use whatever is on special at Target -- no problems to date -- and I might add I am not in need of dye nearly as often as prior to dx :D

Archived