29 replies to this topic

#16 MermaidPaz

MermaidPaz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

IrishHeart is absolutely right and has furnished a lot of great links to make her point.  It's true that Celiacs specifically don't react topically to products containing wheat.  For a Celiac, products containing gluten are fine as long as they're never going in or near your mouth.  This is not to say, however, that someone may not have a wheat allergy apart from or in addition to Celiac or NCGS.  A true allergy to wheat (not oral consumption of gluten that fuels an autoimmune disease) can create a topical reaction, even on unbroken skin.  This could be part of the reason she considers herself "super sensitive", because the majority of even severe Celiacs on this forum aren't going to care whether or not the hair dye that they use maybe once a month has wheat in it.  That being said, if you don't have a wheat allergy and you have Celiac or NCGS, you may find that a dye with wheat derivatives will work just fine for you.  I can only tell you from personal experience that not everyone will tolerate it as well as the majority does.

Hashimoto's disease, Fibromyalgia, IC, lifelong migraines, and chronic vomiting...all improved when completely wheat and food irritant free.  Reversing 7 years of illness is a tough and slow road.  I'm so grateful for the advice and support here, something so basic that's hard to find in a doctor's office.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

This is why I always say...do what's best for you. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

What does this mean?

Copied from Irishheart's post:

"Source:
http://www.glutenfre...y-about-gluten/

According to Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland, 

“If you have celiac disease, then the application of gluten containing products to the skin should not be a problem, unless you have skin lesions that allow gluten to be absorbed systemically in great quantities.""

Does that mean that there is scientific evidence for absorbtion of gluten with skin lesions?

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

What does this mean?

Copied from Irishheart's post:

"Source:
http://www.glutenfre...y-about-gluten/

According to Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland, 

“If you have celiac disease, then the application of gluten containing products to the skin should not be a problem, unless you have skin lesions that allow gluten to be absorbed systemically in great quantities.""

Does that mean that there is scientific evidence for absorbtion of gluten with skin lesions?

I have never seen any myself but I think this is significant....he says 

"systemically in great quantities "...I don't know what that means really...how would that even happen?

That's a question for Dr, Fasano, I think. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Systemically would be into your body.  For example, lets say you have a skin condition like psoriasis or another condition that can give you open sores all over the body.  Those open sores are now a gateway through your skin that is not normally there.  At that point you really shouldn't put anything on those sore that wasn't designed to be put on them, because topical products are not meant to be introduced to your internal body system.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Systemically would be into your body.  For example, lets say you have a skin condition like psoriasis or another condition that can give you open sores all over the body.  Those open sores are now a gateway through your skin that is not normally there.  At that point you really shouldn't put anything on those sore that wasn't designed to be put on them, because topical products are not meant to be introduced to your internal body system.  

lol

No, I know what the words "systematically" and "in great quantities" means ^_^  what I am not sure of is how gluten could possibly be

administered "in great quantities" via the skin into open lesions. seems strange...Someone is going to roll around in wheat flour?

How is that possible since the gluten molecule is too large to pass through skin?

I have tried to figure this out...... Say you have open lesions galore...in what FORM

would gluten be administered to create a gut response? It just does not make sense and I have always been perplexed by this statement from Dr. Fasano.

Again, maybe we should write to Dr. F and ask him to clarify. Seriously, because there is NO evidence that gluten can pass through the skin

and somehow end up in  the bloodstream.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

lol

No, I know what the words "systematically" and "in great quantities" means ^_^  what I am not sure of is how gluten could possibly be

administered "in great quantities" via the skin into open lesions. seems strange...Someone is going to roll around in wheat flour?

How is that possible since the gluten molecule is too large to pass through skin?

I have tried to figure this out...... Say you have open lesions galore...in what FORM

would gluten be administered to create a gut response? It just does not make sense and I have always been perplexed by this statement from Dr. Fasano.

Again, maybe we should write to Dr. F and ask him to clarify. Seriously, because there is NO evidence that gluten can pass through the skin

and somehow end up in  the bloodstream.

Yep, what would you have to do, torture someone with a cutting device and then roll them in flour?  Okay, I need to stop this wild imagination!  LOL

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yep, what would you have to do, torture someone with a cutting device and then roll them in flour?  Okay, I need to stop this wild imagination!  LOL

too late.... Now I have an image of us all .. like a pounded piece of veal being coated in flour, dipped in egg and made into veal piccata.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

HAHAHA!  That is exactly what vision I had in my head!   

<.<

>.>

<.<

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

too late.... Now I have an image of us all .. like a pounded piece of veal being coated in flour, dipped in egg and made into veal piccata.

talk about late...I walked into this thread and started with the last post

doh...I use whatever is on special at Target -- no problems to date -- and I might add I am not in need of dye nearly as often as prior to dx :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

talk about late...I walked into this thread and started with the last post

doh...I use whatever is on special at Target -- no problems to date -- and I might add I am not in need of dye nearly as often as prior to dx :D

you know, Ski...some women say they are "less gray" after Dx and I think that's fascinating. That their re-growth is slow is very interesting to me..

I wish I could say the same. I started going gray in my 30's, like my mother, my sister and every other female in my family.

Ah well, I enjoy my stylist Marshall's stories at the salon (his mom is a celiac--go figure) and my hair looks thicker when it is colored, (and many years

of being UNDxed left me with a pretty slim mane, )so

I will continue to be a "dy-er". 

Frankly, I think we should all be more concerned with the amount of chemicals in this crap than the remote possible "gluten" that may or may not be in it.

IMHO

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 alabama girl

alabama girl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

I appreciate the info on hair dye as I obviously do have a "topical sensitivity".  I've been going to my stylist and using Aveeda hair dye and shampoos and like someone in the forum....I have scratched my head off!!!!  I cannot stand it....so itchy and is there until I stop using the wheat products.  So my stylist researched Aveeda and sure enough it does have wheat in the hair dye and in some of the shampoos....only Aveeda shampoo that doesn't have wheat is Brilliant(only the Brillant products do not contain wheat).  So back to Loreal for me.  It doesn't bother me.  (The only symptom I had was the horrible itching).

#28 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the information.  I'll watch out for Aveeda.

#29 Shell156

Shell156

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

I react to products used in my hair and skin but when I switched to gluten free ones I stopped getting sick . I don't know why but my best guess is that I have longer hair and it gets in my mouth, or if I work out sunscreen/moisturizer /makeup may run into my face?

That's just a guess! All I know is I get sick when personal care products aren't gluten free. I can tell you the story of how I figured it out cause to be honest, I didn't believe that I am as sensitive as I am for years .

Anyway I totally understand wanting gluten free hair dye. I usually use light mountain natural henna. I buy it from amazon. It's kinda messy though but it's worth not feeling sick!

I also used garnier a few weeks ago without any problems at all. I had bought it about a year ago and was scared to try. However I was really careful to keep my hair away from my mouth while rinsing so that's not a guarantee!

Hope you find something good in Dubai. I know this isn't the forum for it but I'm so curious about what it's like to live there!

#30 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I would imagine that most people do not get hair dye in their mouths because it wouldn't be any potential gluten in it that would worry me.  Hydrogen peroxide is not something to

ever get in your mouth and the other chemicals, if ingested, might land you in the ER or placing a call to the poison center.  So, if people think they are being glutened by their hair dye without landing in the ER, I think the odds of a pole shift are much greater than being glutened from it.  If you are ingesting enough of a wheat filled hair dye to feel sick with celiac symptoms, it is more likely from the chemicals and I would stop doing that or go to the hospital.

The second issue is that any gluten component from a shampoo or hair dye might be from tocopherols. Here is some reading on that subject....http://www.glutenfre...wheat-germ-oil/.  Tricia Thompson is a very trusted source!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: