This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Bread

Idahogirl

Idahogirl Apprentice

Does anyone make their own gluten-free bread in a breadmaker? Is it cheaper to just buy the bread mix, or buy all of the separate ingredients you need and make the mix from scratch? It seems like all of the ingredients are kinda spendy. Also, are Bob's Red Mill bread mixes pretty good? Do they compare to the real thing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jrom987 Apprentice
Does anyone make their own gluten-free bread in a breadmaker?  Is it cheaper to just buy the bread mix, or buy all of the separate ingredients you need and make the mix from scratch?  It seems like all of the ingredients are kinda spendy.  Also, are Bob's Red Mill bread mixes pretty good?  Do they compare to the real thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for asking such a good question! I am new to this and I just purchased a bread machine. I would love for people to give some feedback on this topic! My brad machine should arrive tomorrow!

Jo Ann

floridanative Community Regular

From what I've read here, many agree that 'Breads from Anna' are the closest thing to real bread they've found. The site is www.glutenevolution.com. I e-mailed them to ask if I needed a bread machine to make their breads and Anna wrote back saying I could also use a food processor - since I have neither I'm getting a bread machine. Her mixes are sold on the net and in some specialty shops here in town and other parts of the country. On the site you can find locations of retailers near you.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

We use these guys exclusively. All of their products are great... I don't like the cinnamon raisin bagels. Donuts, pizza crust, breads are all great. :)

Open Original Shared Link

Chebe is great for rolls, pizza sticks, hot pockets and other creations, but shipping is too high.

Rusla Enthusiast
Thanks for asking such a good question! I am new to this and I just purchased a bread machine. I would love for people to give some feedback on this topic! My brad machine should arrive tomorrow!

Jo Ann

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have bought all the separate ingredients and it runs up to a truck load of money. You need to keep all of the flours in the fridge too or they go rancid. This magnificent group was raving about Anna's breads which they say are killer good. So, next pay day I will order up a case from the US. as she ships to Canada. I have encouraged for us Canadians on the group to email the two biggest natural food stores in Calgary and to get her friend who has a store in Toronto to carry it and do shipping in Canada. I hope they all jump on the chance. I have a bread maker and some recipes but I did not like the recipes that much and buying the ingredients are costly. I do have smalll quantities for making gluten free cookies which are to die for, especially the chocolate chip.

I suggest trying Anna's breads and she has different types. As I can't have dairy she also has dairy free and much more. Good luck.

Rusla

edit is : I have suggest to her for us Canadians.

jrom987 Apprentice
I have bought all the separate ingredients and it runs up to a truck load of money. You need to keep all of the flours in the fridge too or they go rancid. This magnificent group was raving about Anna's breads which they say are killer good. So, next pay day I will order up a case from the US. as she ships to Canada. I have encouraged for us Canadians on the group to email the two biggest natural food stores in Calgary and to get her friend who has a store in Toronto to carry it and do shipping in Canada. I hope they all jump on the chance. I have a bread maker and some recipes but I did not like the recipes that much and buying the ingredients are costly. I do have smalll quantities for making gluten free cookies which are to die for, especially the chocolate chip.

I suggest trying Anna's breads and she has different types. As I can't have dairy she also has dairy free and much more. Good luck.

Rusla

edit is : I have suggest to her for us Canadians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rusla,

Do you mind sharing your recipe for chocolate chip cookies?

Jo Ann

Rusla Enthusiast
Rusla,

Do you mind sharing your recipe for chocolate chip cookies?

Jo Ann

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a problem,I will post the one for gluten-free peanut butter ones too. I have to find which book I have them in....lol

Rusla

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kassidy's mom Rookie

I'm also from Idaho...and very new to this but I have heard the "Gluten Free Pantry" sandwich bread mix is good (haven't tried it yet)

I've been making my own from scratch and I think the cost is comparable to a mix.

Plus, I'm not overly thrilled with the results so far! LOL!

I'm leaning towards ordering some of the Bread by Anna mixes.

Have you tried shopping at the Co-op for gluten-free stuff?

Rusla Enthusiast
I'm also from Idaho...and very new to this but I have heard the "Gluten Free Pantry" sandwich bread mix is good (haven't tried it yet)

I've been making my own from scratch and I think the cost is comparable to a mix.

Plus, I'm not overly thrilled with the results so far! LOL!

I'm leaning towards ordering some of the Bread by Anna mixes.

Have you tried shopping at the Co-op for gluten-free stuff?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On Wednesday I am going to order some of Anna's bread mixes and have them sent up to Canada for me. There is also supposed to be a new bakery here that has good gluten-free and DF bread. I have found the same with some bread recipes they are just to crumbly and dry, that I have tried. I have considerable bread recipes but they ask for copious amounts of rice flour and that makes for very dry crumbly bread.

skoki-mom Explorer
On Wednesday I am going to have order some of Anna's bread mixes and have them sent up to Canada for me. There is also supposed to be a new bakery here that has good gluten-free and DF bread. The co-op stores up here is not good and expensive. I have found the same with some bread recipes they are just to crumbly and dry, that I have tried.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me know if you can get Anna's up here! I have not ventured much into the world of bread, I just find it sort of, well, scary looking! I have not bought any of the Lakeview Bakery bread, but I did use some Kinnikinnick in my Thanksgiving stuffing. It was good as stuffing, but I tried some "plain" and found the texture sort of rubbery. My local Co-Op does not have much in gluten-free bread either, just that pasty looking rice flour stuff. I do my "normal" shopping at Co-Op and then every couple of weeks I go to Amaranth Whole Foods to pick up some stuff.

Rusla Enthusiast
Let me know if you can get Anna's up here!  I have not ventured much into the world of bread, I just find it sort of, well, scary looking!  I have not bought any of the Lakeview Bakery bread, but I did use some Kinnikinnick in my Thanksgiving stuffing.  It was good as stuffing, but I tried some "plain" and found the texture sort of rubbery.  My local Co-Op does not have much in gluten-free bread either, just that pasty looking rice flour stuff.  I do my "normal" shopping at Co-Op and then every couple of weeks I go to Amaranth Whole Foods to pick up some stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have already emailed Anna and she will and does ship to Canada.Lakeview has some good recipes books for other things but forget their bread. There is Earth's Oven in Marda loop, going to give them a try on Wednesday also. Amaranth has great gluten free bagels. I have not had problems with the tofutti brand "Better than sour cream" or "better than cream cheese" even though they don't guarantee that there is no cross contamination with those products. I forgot to say that Anna said she has a pie crust mix out this month too. I have spoken to Natural Feast who doesn't have any of their pies up here yet but they would like to get them up here so, they are going to send me literature and I will take them up to Amaranth and Community to try to get them to carry them.

Felidae Enthusiast

I don't like the Kinnickinnik frozen premade breads, but I bought the package to make the same bread myself, and it is great. I have made some of Bette Hagman's breads from scratch and they are good. I have also made the Celimix breads, they are a good starting point, but not great.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I must be Manna from Anna's greatest fan! I order 2 cases at a time and make a loaf once a week. I have this nifty knife that slices uniform slices and I package them and freeze them and make a sammy every morning for work. Or I cook them in English muffin rounds for awesome rolls.

Tonight I'm going to make a loaf and this weekend I'm going to make stuffing for a chicken to see if it'll work in the turkey in a few weeks.

I use my big Kitchen Aid mixer to make it... never tried it in a bread maker.

I probably tried 4 different bread recipes with lots of different kinds of flours and none was any good.

Manna from Anna rocks!!

hez Enthusiast

I just baked a loaf of bread and dinner rolls using Breads from Anna. I have to say it is the best product I have tried! I used my kitchen aid to mix it and dumped the poduct in a loaf pan and a muffin tin for the rolls. I let it rise, which to my horror it did not. Went ahead and baked it thinking it was ruined! It turned out great.

I am not sure if I even want to try making bread on my own after trying this product. The consistency and texture was identical to regular bread. I am extremely happy with this product and encourage others to try it! It is worth it!

Hez

BabySnooks Rookie
From what I've read here, many agree that 'Breads from Anna' are the closest thing to real bread they've found. The site is www.glutenevolution.com. I e-mailed them to ask if I needed a bread machine to make their breads and Anna wrote back saying I could also use a food processor - since I have neither I'm getting a bread machine. Her mixes are sold on the net and in some specialty shops here in town and other parts of the country. On the site you can find locations of retailers near you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI,

I make my Anna's bread in the oven and it turns out wondeful.

VydorScope Proficient

I would love to try Mana From Ana, but her prices with shipping seem so high, and I cant find her localy. :( With how picky a toddler is I dont like risking ordering in bulk on a new product...

Archived