4 replies to this topic

#1 Deano12

Deano12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Ive just been diagnosed with celiac disease a few weeks ago and I have the dh rash on my face, elbows, buttocks and knees. I have been gluten free for these few weeks, and have been given dapsone to reduce the imflamation of the rash. I am taking 50mg per day and the dermatologists says this medication is for long term. However I have read dapsone is a pretty strong drug which can deplete nutrients in the body. I wanted to know if there was any other alternative to dapsone such as a cream which will reduce the rash especially on my face?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Looking at the U of C Celiac Center  site - it doesn't look like you will be taking the Dapsone for "long term".  Also, it isn't usually on the face - so that could be something different,

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is an itchy, blistering skin condition that is a form of celiac disease. The rash usually occurs on the elbows, knees and/or buttocks, and is characterized by its bilateral nature; both knees (and/or both arms) are affected, seldom just one.

http://www.curecelia...erpetiformis-dh

Is there a treatment for dermatitis herpetiformis (DH)?

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is treated with a gluten-free diet and medication to control the rash, such as Dapsone or Sulfapyridine. Drug treatment is short term, usually until the gluten-free diet begins to relieve symptoms.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 JMac

JMac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Ive just been diagnosed with celiac disease a few weeks ago and I have the dh rash on my face, elbows, buttocks and knees. I have been gluten free for these few weeks, and have been given dapsone to reduce the imflamation of the rash. I am taking 50mg per day and the dermatologists says this medication is for long term. However I have read dapsone is a pretty strong drug which can deplete nutrients in the body. I wanted to know if there was any other alternative to dapsone such as a cream which will reduce the rash especially on my face?

I had a bad case of DH, including on my face along my jawline.  I tried dapsone, which initially helped, but I ended up having a very bad reaction so I stopped taking it.  My gastro doctor in NY had me try Colcrys which is primarily a gout drug.  I would say that it was not quite as effective as dapsone, but definitely helped.  The key for me has been a strict gluten-free diet.  I also subscribe to the belief that iodine causes DH to flare up. I have been feeling well enough that I stopped taking Colcrys regularly but do occasionally take one if my skin is bothering me.  Good luck.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

My DH, which was severe, began to heal after I dropped gluten and started to limit iodized salt. Within a couple of weeks I stopped getting new lesions and new blisters would only appear if I got glutened.  It did take a bit of time for lesions to heal but not a real long time. If you are fearful of the toxicity of this drug you could try just being very strict with the diet and eliminate gluten ingredients from your topicals and use non-iodized salt for a while. You do need iodine so after the lesions are healed it can be added back in. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 CTMK3121

CTMK3121

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Ask your dermatologist for a steroid cream (use sparingly because it can thin the skin with excessive use) and lidocaine cream (2.5%).  Using aloe vera directly from the plant is something I have also found effective.   :)

~MK~ :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: