This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help With Foods To Gain Weight

Patti J

Patti J Rookie

I have read about many people gaining weight on Celiac diets. I find I am losing too much and I do not have the weight to lose. Can anyone suggest foods that are higher in calorie intake? Often I am dealing with a very full feeling and nauseated sometimes...so this does inhibit the food intake. I am sticking to this Celiac plan to the T, including all the "additive things, spices etc...and have had many days I feel so much better. But I guess I am not getting the calories I need. Thanks for your input. Patti J

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'm not sure what you mean about additives, spices, etc. spices are gluten-free.

Add a little olive oil to foods - if you eat some veggies - add a little extra olive oil or butter. If you can use milk - use cream or half cream half milk on cereal, in coffee, etc. cream has a LOT of calories.

Use an on- line calorie finder. See what has more calories and choose the one with more calories. Don't fill up on celery ( almost no calories) and eat a potato or avocado instead.

Another strategy is to eat every hour - just a 2 bite snack. Pick something with some calories - like a couple of bites of chicken, nuts or cheese. Still eat your three meals, too. This was recommended by dietitians to get my mom's weight back up

Patti J Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean about additives, spices, etc. spices are gluten-free.

Add a little olive oil to foods - if you eat some veggies - add a little extra olive oil or butter. If you can use milk - use cream or half cream half milk on cereal, in coffee, etc. cream has a LOT of calories.

Use an on- line calorie finder. See what has more calories and choose the one with more calories. Don't fill up on celery ( almost no calories) and eat a potato or avocado instead.

Another strategy is to eat every hour - just a 2 bite snack. Pick something with some calories - like a couple of bites of chicken, nuts or cheese. Still eat your three meals, too. This was recommended by dietitians to get my mom's weight back up

Thank you so much for your input. I will certainly take your advise. Last week, I was eating every 2 hours and felt well but found I was eating all the time. I know some people would not consider that a curse. Re the spices, I was reading that many spices have adds ons in them and this can be a problem for some people. Also read about cross contamination in them. Don't know the truth in this, but I figured it could be a possibility. Thanks again for your advise. Patti

kareng Grand Master

Adding as I think of things -

Make smoothies - add a little protein powder to a bunch of fruit - some fresh & some frozen. a banana & 2 cups of fruit is about 250-300 calories.

Edit to add- can you eat nut butters & seed butters? PB on a cracker or celery or apples is a good high calorie snack. Add nuts to a dish - peanuts or cashews to a stir fry, peanut butter to plain rice noodles, almonds on cooked carrots, nuts on yogurt ( there is coconut yogurt if you don't want dairy).

IrishHeart Veteran

You could hang around with me for a week and I suspect you could gain about  5-10 lbs. My mother claims she gains 5 whenever she visits me. 

maybe it is because she lives it up and eats cookies, flourless chocolate cake, potato chips and nuts--not her usual snack fare. She likes rice cakes. Rice cakes will not help anyone gain weight unless you add peanut butter. lol

but I digress. ^_^ You are in the enviable position of having to add weight, not lose it. I gained  nearly 50 lbs. postDX and I only needed about 10 of them. The weight only started to creep up after 15 months then, holy cow---it skyrocketed because I could eat more and I got an appetite again....

so now, I am on a diet. crazy, huh? The weight comes on fast for some people, so be careful. 

Look for things with higher carbs,Karen's suggestions are all great and if you like sour cream , add it to your potatoes and g f baking.

Pasta is good for carbs. I like the G F Jovial and Barilla brands 

notme Experienced

i am still underweight, and i feel like i am eating almost constantly.  i find that i have a better idea of how close i get to my target caloric intake by using the app 'fitness pal' - it has a bar code scanner on it if you have a smartphone, just scan the package - or search for foods - the database is pretty large.  i am supposed to be eating 2130 calories per day.  i sometimes add some coconut oil or olive oil as karen suggested.  but, i also indulge in GELATO lolz.  if i get close and i still have some calories left and i don't feel like eating, i have a beer :)  or two...........   <_<   it *is* a struggle, but i am almost always hungry nowadays.  the fitness pal is sort of a game - "hmmmm, it's 4 o'clock and i still have 800 calories left.  best get SNACKIN' !!"  (the thing yells at me if i eat too much sugar, lolz, i'm sure more people use it for weight *loss*)

it's not out of the ordinary for me to eat 6 or 7 times a day, between meals and multiple snacks.  keep on eatin'!!!  :D

HavaneseMom Explorer

Do you have a dedicated gluten free bakery in your town?

I think the one where I live is responsible for helping me gain about 10 lbs during my first 6 months gluten free ( I did not need to gain weight btw). Not exactly the healthiest way to gain weight, but very enjoyable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Do you have a dedicated gluten free bakery in your town?

I think the one where I live is responsible for helping me gain about 10 lbs during my first 6 months gluten free ( I did not need to gain weight btw). Not exactly the healthiest way to gain weight, but very enjoyable.

My friend Sherry Lynn owns a gluten-free bakery and I hold her personally responsible for my weight gain and the expansion of my thighs. :) 

Patti J Rookie

Adding as I think of things -

Make smoothies - add a little protein powder to a bunch of fruit - some fresh & some frozen. a banana & 2 cups of fruit is about 250-300 calories.

Edit to add- can you eat nut butters & seed butters? PB on a cracker or celery or apples is a good high calorie snack. Add nuts to a dish - peanuts or cashews to a stir fry, peanut butter to plain rice noodles, almonds on cooked carrots, nuts on yogurt ( there is coconut yogurt if you don't want dairy).

Again some wonderful ideas! Protein smoothies I do ...when I think about it...but must really watch the time of the day or it can kill meals! Thank you..I do Liberte yogurt that is the highest calorie one out there that I have found. Found that about 2 1/2 years ago. My weight was staying at about 111..then I started having GI problems again and the decline was pretty rapid. In fact, 2 years ago when I got back from Mayo I started visiting a thing I had done very little in my life...fast food places. I knew all the highest calorie things in each one...well those are out now with the gluten-free things. I sure do appreciate your ideas. 

Patti J Rookie

i am still underweight, and i feel like i am eating almost constantly.  i find that i have a better idea of how close i get to my target caloric intake by using the app 'fitness pal' - it has a bar code scanner on it if you have a smartphone, just scan the package - or search for foods - the database is pretty large.  i am supposed to be eating 2130 calories per day.  i sometimes add some coconut oil or olive oil as karen suggested.  but, i also indulge in GELATO lolz.  if i get close and i still have some calories left and i don't feel like eating, i have a beer :)  or two...........   <_<   it *is* a struggle, but i am almost always hungry nowadays.  the fitness pal is sort of a game - "hmmmm, it's 4 o'clock and i still have 800 calories left.  best get SNACKIN' !!"  (the thing yells at me if i eat too much sugar, lolz, i'm sure more people use it for weight *loss*)

it's not out of the ordinary for me to eat 6 or 7 times a day, between meals and multiple snacks.  keep on eatin'!!!   :D

I had a few days of felling just like that..all I was doing was eating! Keeping track of everything I eat and have been doing that for 2 years. There are a lot of things I can't eat as I have ITP (low blood platelets) and many foods naturally lower ones platelets, plus I can't taste or smell..so eating is more of a pain in the butt than a joy it was many years ago. The beer...I will have to send you mine! Drink 2 or 3 for me.  Thanks for your suggestions

Patti J Rookie

My friend Sherry Lynn owns a gluten-free bakery and I hold her personally responsible for my weight gain and the expansion of my thighs. :)

No, we do not have one. I think the closest thing I may find with be at Fresh Market. So I am using the frozen UDI bagels, with are not and and the UDI bread..not fond of the texture of that. There is a Fresh Market about 45 miles from me. Am planning a trip over soon. You must live in a nice sized place to have a gluten-free bakery. That is awesome. 

Patti J Rookie

Maybe I need to borrow Sherry Lynn for about 6 weeks! 

Patti J Rookie

Sherry Lynn was mentioned in another post...she must be quite the lady!! I need her!

IrishHeart Veteran

Maybe I need to borrow Sherry Lynn for about 6 weeks! 

She taught me so much about adapting my baking skills to G F baking...come stay with me. I'll fatten you up. 

Sherry Lynn was mentioned in another post...she must be quite the lady!! I need her!

She's in upstate NY. I live in FL now. I miss her, but she and I are still close friends. Everyone needs a Sherry Lynn. 

She's an angel on Earth, giving the G F community the goodies they need. 

Patti J Rookie

She taught me so much about adapting my baking skills to G F baking...come stay with me. I'll fatten you up. 

She's in upstate NY. I live in FL now. I miss her, but she and I are still close friends. Everyone needs a Sherry Lynn. 

She's an angel on Earth, giving the G F community the goodies they need. 

what a hoot...I am from NY ( Long Island) ...many years ago came to Fl to attend college.  I am still a FL gal 

NatureChick Rookie

The high calorie foods that make me gain weight are nuts, quacamole and corn chips, pan-popped popcorn with butter, anything I make that has cream sauce, mashed potatoes, and potato salad ... basically, anything that is easy to eat mindlessly or tastes so good you eat too much of it.

IrishHeart Veteran

what a hoot...I am from NY ( Long Island) ...many years ago came to Fl to attend college.  I am still a FL gal 

If you are near Melbourne, go here. Jebby says the cupcakes are fabulous!!

Open Original Shared Link

(technically, it is in Cape Canaveral)

Patti J Rookie

If you are near Melbourne, go here. Jebby says the cupcakes are fabulous!!

Open Original Shared Link

(technically, it is in Cape Canaveral)

well, so much for that idea, I am up in the panhandle. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

well, so much for that idea, I am up in the panhandle. :)

dang. I am down on the treasure coast or I would say, come for dinner. :)

Patti J Rookie

dang. I am down on the treasure coast or I would say, come for dinner. :)

You are on the treasure coast, I on the emerald coast. We are just coasting along! Keep up the good food ideas and I can feel like we are having dinner.
gilligan Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat you are - trying desperately to gain weight.  My target acc. to dietician is to aim for 3,000 cal per day.  I can't get anywhere close to that. I just finished round two of meds for SIBO.  I have a few more weeks of the Fodmap diet, and hopefully I can begin to eat more carbs.  In the meantime, I eat bacon every day (when I get to target weight I swear I will never eat bacon again!)  I make it a point to eat almonds and walnuts every few hours.  Also, I buy cans of full fat coconut milk and eat several spoonfuls a day.  If you aren't dairy intolerant, you could try Boost.  If you are making smoothies, add peanut butter or the coconut milk to them.  

GF Lover Rising Star

Why would you ever even consider not eating bacon for the rest of your life  :o  Bacon is sacred, bacon is a life source, bacon is EVERYTHING  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Good luck to you.

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

This is true. Some of us around here are real bacon freaks. Bacon is essential to life.

bacon2.gif

Patti J Rookie

I'm in the same boat you are - trying desperately to gain weight.  My target acc. to dietician is to aim for 3,000 cal per day.  I can't get anywhere close to that. I just finished round two of meds for SIBO.  I have a few more weeks of the Fodmap diet, and hopefully I can begin to eat more carbs.  In the meantime, I eat bacon every day (when I get to target weight I swear I will never eat bacon again!)  I make it a point to eat almonds and walnuts every few hours.  Also, I buy cans of full fat coconut milk and eat several spoonfuls a day.  If you aren't dairy intolerant, you could try Boost.  If you are making smoothies, add peanut butter or the coconut milk to them.  

Gee, I think I gained 10 lbs just reading your post! I do the Ensure plus..that is a good 350 calories right there..Liberte yogurt is also a high calorie one, if you can tolerate. I had 2 pieces of bacon with my lunch on the sandwich. I think you may have everyone on here doing a bacon run!! Thanks for your input. P

IrishHeart Veteran

Suddenly, I want a BLT...

Archived