Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is There A Possibility Of More Than One Skin Conditon Occuring With Dh?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Deano12

Deano12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

I have been diagnosed with celiac a few weeks ago and have been gluten free ever since. I began getting a rash approx. 8 months ago on my buttocks, then I spread to my elbows and knees. The last 2 months I got a rash on my face but I wanted to know if there is a possibility that the rash on my face is not dh and is something else? I have been given dapsone medication to reduce the immflamation of the rash for 2 weeks now which has been effective to some extent. Is it possible to have more that one skin problem at the same time, because the rash on my face seems to different. The rash on my face seems to be red and thickened. it is quite sore if I massage or rub my face and becomes even more red when massaged without any moisturizer.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

Yes you could have  more than on condition at a time. Have you seen a dermatologist? If not it would be a good idea. Do make sure your doctor is doing regular liver panels on you while you are on the dapsone. Some doctors don't realize those need to done. Do stay very light on iodized salt as iodine will help keep the DH active. It can take a while for the antibodies to leave the skin but things should calm down for you soon. I found even a tiny amount of CC would flare my DH for quite a while after diagnosis. That did lessen in time. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Deano12

Deano12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

hey man thanks for the reply. ive had a few appointments with the dermatologist but I did not raise the question about the rash on my face because I thought it was the dh rash. plus I was using steroid cream on my face at the time to reduce the immflamation. ive got an appointment with the dermatologist in a few weeks and will let him know about my symptoms. Did u use dapsone aswell? My dermatologist says this drug is for long term like a year or so, but I am not comfortable taking it for long term because ive read on the internet that this drug is pretty strong. Im on 50mg a day of dapsone. I was thinking of only taking it for a few months until things settle down.

also ive done my own research and think my rash on face my be seborrhoeic dermatitis, because my eyebrows are flaky, and the pics on the net look similar to mine. however I cant be sure. does anyone else have this rash?     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: