Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Body Shape, Effect Of Weight Loss In Celiac?

3 posts in this topic

When I had a raft of symptoms in January after having issues for sixteen years, I experienced some rapid weight loss, I lost around 21 lbs in a couple of months but having been a muscular person before still have some muscle left, I didn't look like I was emaciated despite the weight loss, is it possible with celiac to lose weight quickly but not just lose muscle? Hope this doesn't sound too confusing. 

Ads by Google:

This is all my belief and I am sure someone will dispute it just based on the fact that it's not scientific....

Your body has lost the ability to gain nutrients from the foods we eat, our intestines are too damaged to absorb them.  Your body then looks to the nearest thing, fat cells.  If your body depletes that source, it then moves on to muscle mass. I don't know about your structure, but it might not have been too much weight for you to lose.

I have lost over 150 pounds in the last two years and have lost muscle mass due to the fact that my body depleted the other source ( fat) and had to move on so it picked muscle. It sucks that I had that much to lose but after years of weight fluctuation( due to celiac and thyroid issues) I needed to lose it, but I can't say that I am sad it's gone.  Just more frustrated that it just keeps going.

Hope that makes sense and didn't sound too confusing :)

Get a body fat test, you will find out just how much muscle you have vs. fat.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• could be from your neck, or it is, literally, in your head. perhaps a scan is needed.
    • The anxiety thing is there I take teas, and supplements along with CBD oil to help with it, and long walks and exercise when I get antsy. As for the human interaction it is a mix of other mental issues, and the way I feel about people who can eat gluten. If they are not eating I have no issue talking with people. I mentioned I have issues accepting them as the same species when I see them eating. My reaction to gluten is so ingrained in me that it is not a food but a poison, that watching others eat it causes a subconscious reaction where I find myself avoiding them and looking down on them like something from another planet. I end up disgusted with them and walking away, I will go out of my way to avoid people and places where foods like this are present. This is my TRAUMA part of the gluten exposure, and one of the big things I am trying to address in my life right now. I know it is irrational to do so but I end up doing it, I have never cared about others race, religion, or looks, but if I see them eating a gluten/poison, it somehow changes how I perceive them and interact with them and I hate this part about me. It is taking a lot of mental effort to try to smile and treat them as a human, and not something to be looked down upon in disgust. I just recall that mental state that gluten puts me in with my mind and body turning against me and not doing what I will it and the fear comes back. This diet is pretty much like mine, I take Doctors best Magnesium powder in a tea that is actually brewed with st johns wort (never thought much of it) , I use Liquid Health Stress & Energy along with the Neurologic Support they have, twice-three times a day for B vitamins(along with a bunch of other supplements) . I can not digest meats or carbs well, meats it is a issue with breaking them down same with egg yolks, I literally just burp up the undigested meats hours later. I have found the only way to eat them is to boil/slow cook them til they melt then blend them into a broth and have it with digestive enzymes so only do it with turkey bacon, longhorn, and salmon in small amounts in soups or for flavoring stock for stir frys.  As for Carbs like rice and potatoes I end up getting really gassy and bloated, same with sugars in any amount greater then like the size of my thumb give or take. Oats I only have gluten-free Harvest in about a tbsp amount when tasting recipes of stuff I sell at farmers markets. So I eat mostly fats and protein from egg whites, nuts, seeds, veggies, and vegan protein powders blends balanced for complete proteins. I have at least 1-2 dried fig, dates, handful of banana chips, or a 1/4 of a small fruit with meals for fruits.  My meals are mostly egg white and veggie omelettes, stir frys, and soups, Always with lots of fats and proteins in each meal. I have found having nutritional yeast to help with my mood and energy levels also and find someway of having it in meals often. I keep my foods on rotation and keep getting updated feed back on ratios with my dietician. I also have a rather odd list of foods I can not eat due to allergies/intolerance.
    • It only takes a minute to make a difference. Celiac disease has been overshadowed by the gluten-free diet fad. Getting diagnosed and staying healthy is no piece of cake – those of us who have celiac disease struggle to stay healthy. We need better. We need to be understood. We need a cure. View the full article
    • If you are one of the approximately 2-3 million Americans with celiac disease, ZyGluten™ may be taken before you eat out at a restaurant or a friend\'s house, as it may help break down any gluten cross-contamination that you might encounter. View the full article
    • Advil (ibuprofen) is gluten-free, but can be a stomach irritant, especially if taken on an empty stomach. That said, I will also place my bet on the garlic and onions. As Raven said, eating more than once a day may also help. An empty stomach is likely to be an irritable stomach.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Gigi Fagon