arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Body Shape, Effect Of Weight Loss In Celiac?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 UK2004

UK2004

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

When I had a raft of symptoms in January after having issues for sixteen years, I experienced some rapid weight loss, I lost around 21 lbs in a couple of months but having been a muscular person before still have some muscle left, I didn't look like I was emaciated despite the weight loss, is it possible with celiac to lose weight quickly but not just lose muscle? Hope this doesn't sound too confusing. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beth01

beth01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

This is all my belief and I am sure someone will dispute it just based on the fact that it's not scientific....

Your body has lost the ability to gain nutrients from the foods we eat, our intestines are too damaged to absorb them.  Your body then looks to the nearest thing, fat cells.  If your body depletes that source, it then moves on to muscle mass. I don't know about your structure, but it might not have been too much weight for you to lose.

I have lost over 150 pounds in the last two years and have lost muscle mass due to the fact that my body depleted the other source ( fat) and had to move on so it picked muscle. It sucks that I had that much to lose but after years of weight fluctuation( due to celiac and thyroid issues) I needed to lose it, but I can't say that I am sad it's gone.  Just more frustrated that it just keeps going.

Hope that makes sense and didn't sound too confusing :)

Diagnosed at age 37 after a lifetime of symptoms and other diseases: migraines, joint pain, muscle aches, nerve pain, IBS, chronic constipation, chronic ear infections/strep throat, weight fluctuations ( most weight lost >150 pounds), acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea/vomiting, inactive gallbladder, stool impacted appendix, multiple miscarriages, premature births, depression, anxiety, OCD, arthritis of the spine, Grave's disease(treated with radioactive iodine)- hypothyroid, multiple drug and environmental allergies, numbness in the hands and feet, possible multiple TIA's, brain fog, dyslexia, extreme thirst, bouts of insomnia rotated by extreme fatigue, multiple vitamin deficiencies, chronic UTI's and vaginal infections, Fibromyalgia, and I'm sure there are more I am forgetting.

Diagnosed April 7th, 2014 by EGD and tTg IgA.  Marsh IIIb and 35.7 respectively, Starting what seems to be a very long recovery process.

11 year old daughter diagnosed a month later by a tTg IgA of >100 and a positive EMA.  Nine year old son has since tested negative, only had tTg IgA drawn,  Will have a full panel drawn in two years unless symptoms present. 

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Get a body fat test, you will find out just how much muscle you have vs. fat.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: