#1 amitaitos

amitaitos

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

Hi

Recently I ate something that apparently had a small amount of gluten.

My symptoms aren't that strong, so I can't be sure.

A. Does this  reverse my body to stage A? How can I heal my body?

B. I needed to do a blood test to check my celiac levels and another biopsy. Do you think that a small amount of gluten will show up in the test? If yes, when do you think I can do the tests?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

No.  this would not put you back to the beginning and you do not need a blood test.  1 accidental glutening will not produce enough antibodies to show up on blood work.  That is why they tell people to eat gluten for 12 weeks to get a positive blood test.

Here's some info

http://www.curecelia...-i-get-glutened

"Follow-up tests are intended to test whether there’s significant (and repeated) exposure to gluten. A mistake (or two) may cause symptoms, but they will only activate the disease for a short time, though it must be noted that each celiac responds differently. It’s the repeated exposure for the long-term that keeps the disease active enough to cause damage."

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

I agree with Karen. A small amount of gluten will usually not show up in blood tests. The gluten may set your body back a couple of weeks, but it won't take you back to the same level of damage as when you were undiagnosed... I'm assuming you are a diagnosed celiac?

If you already have a diagnosis, there is no real need to test if you consumed gluten by mistake.  You already know you have the disease so testing will not be of any real benefit.  That being said,many people get retested after 6 months or a year gluten-free to see if their auto-antibodies are coming down, and to check for dietary compliance.

Hope you feel better quickly.  :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 amitaitos

amitaitos

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thanks. I am a a diagnosed Celiac.
I meant that I'm supposed to get retested to see if I'm healing, and wanted to know if that accidental glutening would show up.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Another question- if my symptoms aren't so strong, and small gluten doesn't show up on the test, how do I know if I'm not cross-contaminated by mistake (since there are gluten eaters around me and even though I do my best, I'm not sure), and that my gut is healing?
Thanks.

#5 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

if you don't have symptoms, i guess you don't know?  unless you go and get retested (which you're going to do)  :)  are you going for another endoscopy as well?

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks. I am a a diagnosed Celiac.
I meant that I'm supposed to get retested to see if I'm healing, and wanted to know if that accidental glutening would show up.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Another question- if my symptoms aren't so strong, and small gluten doesn't show up on the test, how do I know if I'm not cross-contaminated by mistake (since there are gluten eaters around me and even though I do my best, I'm not sure), and that my gut is healing?
Thanks.

If your antibodies are going down on your yearly checks. The link I gave you says that occasional accidental glutenings won't raise your antibodies.
http://www.curecelia...w&submit=Search

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Thats nice to know. I also wondered about that. Even tho I don't think i'm getting really Glutened, but thought possibly a CC. Only because I eat at a restaurant once in a while. I trust it but really who knows right? I am not getting sick but just wonder. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: