• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

JodyM75

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

Newbie question here:  I know there are new laws about listing the major allergens in food.  So, if something has "natural flavorings," "caramel color," or whatever listed in the ingredients, can I TRUST that if it DOES NOT say "Contains: Wheat" at the end of the ingredients list the item is safe?  Or is there still a loophole or something?

When did that regulation go into effect? 

Many thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

Newbie question here:  I know there are new laws about listing the major allergens in food.  So, if something has "natural flavorings," "caramel color," or whatever listed in the ingredients, can I TRUST that if it DOES NOT say "Contains: Wheat" at the end of the ingredients list the item is safe?  Or is there still a loophole or something?

When did that regulation go into effect? 

Many thanks!

In the US and Canada and a few other countries - this law has been in effect for quite some time.  In the US, it is part of the allergen labelling law.  

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

However, a "contains wheat" statement is not required if "wheat" appears in the ingredients. Always read the entire ingredient list.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

However, a "contains wheat" statement is not required if "wheat" appears in the ingredients. Always read the entire ingredient list.

Good point - it will be listed as an ingredient or at the end statement or both.  So READ the ingredients!  sherlock-homes-emoticon.gif

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

NatureChick

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

I try to keep in mind that the more ingredients a product has, the higher the chances of one of those ingredients being cross contaminated. I rarely buy anything that lists more than 6-8 ingredients, and if I do, it is only products that are being sold as gluten free and say so right on the front of the package.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: