8 replies to this topic

#1 Serielda

Serielda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

I am very interested in starting Yoga, and I have a few questions.

1) When finding a good studio, what are some of the things I should watch for so I know I am not going to a crapy place to practice getting my calm on.

2) Finding a good mat? I have shopped around at some places like Dicks sporting goods, and online but some of the mats look very thin and I want something that when I am not at the Yoga place I won't be feeling the discomfort from a hardwood floor.

3) Is there any other pluses to hot Yoga over  other styles? Or should a newbie take  hot yoga off the bat?

4) Finding good clothing for the place that won't fall a part in the washing machine and dryer or fade to badly. I love some of the fun bright colors but as I've learned in other things those pretty colors can fade badly over a short time , or over extend periods.

Thanks for advice in advance,

Serielda

Edited by Serielda, 17 June 2014 - 11:05 AM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

I got this mat on line.  The "pro" is very heavy (weight to carry around).  The Lites are very thin.  A good yoga studio will have a wood floor

http://www.manduka.c...ts/prolite-mat/

If you have never done yoga before, you might just want to start with a cheap mat from Target ($20).  And wear any exercise clothes.

Around here, many studios offer specials for newbies.  Usually $25-40 for an unlimited month.  That allows you to try different classes.  Check and see what times they have classes to see if those meet your needs.  Also, look for beginner, basic or gentle yoga.  Hot is fine - if you go for a beginner/gentle or basic class.  A good studio can help you pick classes that might be good for you.

Many Parks and Recs, City community Centers and gyms have yoga classes.  A class might be cheaper at the Parks & Rec and would give you an idea if you like yoga before investing a lot of money.

Hope that was helpful.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

I'm a yoga teacher. Happy to give you my opinion!

If you have sensitive knees I'd say look for a thicker yoga mat, but honestly the ones you find at Target are just fine and they're easy to carry around. I have two of them. 

I'll second the idea of getting an unlimited pass at a studio. It's important to try out different teachers because everyone has their own style, and you're bound to find some that you like more than others. 

I will never suggest that anyone does hot yoga. I think it is dangerous and unhealthy. It tricks your body into thinking that it can stretch farther than it should, and you become more apt to injury, especially if you're a beginner and don't have as much experience or bodily awareness as others. Also, you don't release toxins through your skin, as they say. You can only release toxins by going to the bathroom. You only lose sweat (electrolytes, vitamin C, and water). Some studios tell you to replenish all three, some only say to drink water. In the later situation you end up losing nutrients that your body needs.

That being said, my favorite style of yoga is Anusara. It focuses a lot on alignment and overall positivity. :)

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

I'm a yoga teacher. Happy to give you my opinion!

If you have sensitive knees I'd say look for a thicker yoga mat, but honestly the ones you find at Target are just fine and they're easy to carry around. I have two of them.

I'll second the idea of getting an unlimited pass at a studio. It's important to try out different teachers because everyone has their own style, and you're bound to find some that you like more than others.

I will never suggest that anyone does hot yoga. I think it is dangerous and unhealthy. It tricks your body into thinking that it can stretch farther than it should, and you become more apt to injury, especially if you're a beginner and don't have as much experience or bodily awareness as others. Also, you don't release toxins through your skin, as they say. You can only release toxins by going to the bathroom. You only lose sweat (electrolytes, vitamin C, and water). Some studios tell you to replenish all three, some only say to drink water. In the later situation you end up losing nutrients that your body needs.

That being said, my favorite style of yoga is Anusara. It focuses a lot on alignment and overall positivity. :)

I hate being hot. But my friend is a yoga teacher. And around here the hot yoga is about 90 degrees - tops. She teaches basic or gentle hot yoga. Not usually the serious hard core ones. A newbie might be Okay with that if they like the heat. I think it depends on what is popular where you live.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#5 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I hate being hot, too. I never have a good hair day in the summer, haha. 

Every studio is different, hot yoga or not. Some places the teachers will correct you, other places the teachers will be doing the entire class with you. Some places tell you not to stretch too far, other places push you pass your body's normal limit. I have heard of horrible hot yoga studios and others that take more responsibility for the health of their students. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult for beginners to tell the difference. 

I have very specific feelings about it, and personally I will stick with my stance of not suggesting hot yoga. That's just my two cents :)

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#6 JesikaBeth

JesikaBeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Great replies to your questions! I just want to add that yoga is pretty amazing! Enjoy! Namaste :)

~Jessica Elizabeth~

Diagnosed with:

• GERD October 2005
  • Fibromyalgia February 2006
  • TMJD 2007
  • Hashimotos May 2008
  • Type 2 Diabetes May 2012
  • Non Hodgkin Lymphoma November 2013
  • Celiac July 2014 (Positive Antibody Test/Bloodwork. Biopsy Inconclusive.)
  • OCD September 2000
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder September 2000
  • Bipolar Type II October 2005
  • Adult ADHD(Inattentive Type) October 2005

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#7 loveofasparrow

loveofasparrow

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

The best mat out there in my opinion is manduka's black mat pro. i know people who have had it for 10+ years in the heat and freezing cold and it still looks brand new. I got mine last christmas and I love it!

As far as clothing, I like to wear Onezie leggings and luluemon leggings with any tank top. 

I am actually trying a piyo class this week. something new for me. i have only ever done yoga. i am a yoga instructor now so i feel i need to branch out and see whats out there. :)

good luck with everything.

#8 justasking

justasking

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

hi I Just Heard That Yoga Poses Especialy The Ones That Stimulate The Flow Of Blood To The Head Can Make Your Hair Grow Faster.Is That True? And Second One I Am Afraid Cause If The Blood To Your Head Can Make Your Hair Grow Faster Then Can It Make The Same For Your Nose Or Ears? Thank You ! i know that may sounds stupid but it realy bothers me.thank you! and sorry for my english ;)

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

hi I Just Heard That Yoga Poses Especialy The Ones That Stimulate The Flow Of Blood To The Head Can Make Your Hair Grow Faster.Is That True? And Second One I Am Afraid Cause If The Blood To Your Head Can Make Your Hair Grow Faster Then Can It Make The Same For Your Nose Or Ears? Thank You ! i know that may sounds stupid but it realy bothers me.thank you! and sorry for my english ;)

Welcome. Perhaps that is a question for a yoga site?

Do you have Celiac Disease?

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: