Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Soy- And Gluten-Free Granola/breakfast Bars?

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 Kias4

Kias4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Anyone know of a good brand of soy- and gluten-free granola/breakfast bars?  I'm just now realizing that I think soy (including soy lecithin) is making me sick, so I'm trying to eliminate it from my diet.  Unfortunately, the breakfast/granola bars that I always grab to eat when I'm out and about all seem to have soy lecithin in them.  Any recommendations?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

i have a soy problem as well - i make my own bars, but i also can't do oats..  so it's chex to the rescue!  and nuts and usually craisins and some 'enjoy life' chocolate chips <no soy or soy lecithin yay :)  there are some good (easy) recipes on the interwebs.  i just wing it.  you can use corn syrup, honey, molasses, corn syrup, maple syrup, etc to make the 'glue' - sometimes i will mix peanut butter into it, sometimes apple sauce or apple butter.  it depends on what you like :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 millerb68

millerb68

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

If you want store-bought ones, try Picky Bars, Lara Bars or Bonk Breaker bars. 

If you want good recipes, try ohsheglows.com under Recipes/Breakfast. Most are simple, and if you keep the ingredients on hand, are easy to make. 

#4 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

I recently found Kind granola bars.  They're great.  I think they're carried by Walgreens.

http://www.kindsnack...-chocolate.html

Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Most KIND bars have soy, unfortunately. I'm also a soy-free person, so finding the illusive soy-lectin free chocolate in things is a killer. Lara bars are good. GoMacro bars are really good if you need a lot of energy (most are gluten-free/soy free, but not all, so check). But those are date based. If you want granola, Main Street Bakery makes pretty good ones. I found a brand in Ontario called Taste of Nature that's pretty good. Not sure about the US, but go to your local health food/bulk food/good grocery store and check all the labels.

Damn soy! I feel your pain.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

http://www.elanaspan...breakfast-bars/

If you want to make some - these are delicious.  I cut them, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze in a freezer bag.  They thaw pretty quick and are still yummy!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Enjoy Life Baked Chewy Bars are my favorite for flavor even before you get into the other reasons why someone might choose them. They are my go-to bar to carry with me when I leave the house.

• No Artificial Ingredients
  • Non-GMO Ingredients
  • Low Fat
  • Certified Gluten-Free
  • cRc Pareve
  • Free of the 8 Common Allergens
  • Vegan

http://www.enjoylife...com/chewy-bars/

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Enjoy Life Baked Chewy Bars are my favorite for flavor even before you get into the other reasons why someone might choose them. They are my go-to bar to carry with me when I leave the house.

• No Artificial Ingredients
  • Non-GMO Ingredients
  • Low Fat
  • Certified Gluten-Free
  • cRc Pareve
  • Free of the 8 Common Allergens
  • Vegan

http://www.enjoylife...com/chewy-bars/

Their Smores bars are so addicting!!!  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

I can't do soy either and I make these:

Giant Granola Oatmeal Cookies

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Makes 12.

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups Certified Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats (Bob's Red Mill, for example)

1 cup Almond or coconut Flour

1/3 cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar (or you can use Light Brown Sugar)

1/4 cup Quinoa Flakes

1/4 cup Ground Flax seed meal (or Chia Seeds )

2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

3/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt

1 cup Dried Fruit of choice: pick one --or use a combination to equal 1 cup Raisins, Golden Raisins, (SunMaid) or Dried cranberries (Craisins are gluten-free), Dried apples, apricots, cherries, pineapple, mango, etc.

1/2 cup Seeds or Nuts of choice – pick one or use a combination to equal 1/2 cup (Pepitas, Sunflower Seeds, Chopped Pistachios, walnuts, Cashews, Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, etc) ..

1/4 cup Chocolate Chips (I use Enjoy life Brand in my baking but Hershey Toll House chips are gluten-free)

Wet ingredients:

1 egg, beaten

2/3 cup Cold-Pressed Unrefined Coconut Oil or Canola Oil

1/2 cup Grade B Maple Syrup

1 TBSLP. Vanilla

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

2. Pam spray 2 muffin top pans with regular PAM (not Baking PAM—it has wheat in it).

3.  Sift together in large bowl: all dry ingredients.

4.  Make small well in center of dry mixture.  Add: beaten egg , oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.

5.  Squish/mix together with hands.  Press into prepared muffin pans. I wet my hands to squish them a bit to form big “breakfast cookies”.

I use these pans:

http://www.bedbathan...-pan/1013145911

6.  Bake for about 11-14 minutes, or until edges look slightly golden. Center will look a bit undone.

7. Let pans sit for at least 30 minutes on cooling rack before removing cookies from the tins.

8. Cookies store well and they freeze well, too.! I eat one for breakfast on the run .

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 Kias4

Kias4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

Thank you so much everyone!!  I'm excited to try some of the suggestions.

I found a Kind bar that's soy free (Oats & Honey) which I absolutely LOVE.  I need to figure out how to make it on my own, although it's not too expensive.  $2.49 for a box of 5 at Walmart.

#11 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

Irish, that recipe looks great! :)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Irish, that recipe looks great! :)

And they are a hit even with the WEs. :) I got my mom making them. And they freeze well. (but none ever make it to the freezer....)

Hope you like them! Just watch them around 8 mins...oven temps may vary on the time to cook.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

For pre-bought bars, I second (or third?) the Enjoy Life ones. If sulfites bother you, these seem much better than most other fruit/nut/breakfast bars in that regard. They are tiny, though - perfect for kids, but it would take two to satisfy an adult.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: