This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Books?

Noelle126

Noelle126 Apprentice

I am wondering if there are any books out there that contain any more infoormation about Celiac and perhaps recipes...are they worth buying? I've been told to get "The Gluten Free Bible" and the "Gluten Free Gourmet" what do y'all think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

I also like the Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods. I think one of my other cookbooks is the Gluten Free Kitchen which is not too bad and doesn't use flour blends but specific flours.

You can also check out your local library to see if there are any there that seem worth buying.

jrom987 Apprentice
I am wondering if there are any books out there that contain any more infoormation about Celiac and perhaps recipes...are they worth buying? I've been told to get "The Gluten Free Bible"  and the "Gluten Free Gourmet" what do y'all think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am new at this but I am probably the Queen of book buying! Here are the ones I have and have on order. The ones with the * are my personal favorites.

*The Gluten-Free Bible by Jax Peters Lowell

*The gluten-free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg

Eating gluten-free by Shreve Stockton

*The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman

Wheat-Free, gluten-free Reduced Calorie Cookbook by Connie Sarros

The Best-Ever Wheat-and-Gluten-Free Baking Book by Mary Ann Wenniger

Grain-Free Gourmet by Jodi Bager

on order:

Gluten Intolerance by Beatrice Trum Hunter

Gluten-Free for a Healthy Life by Kimberly A. Tessmer

Healthy gluten-free Living by Danna Korn

A Personal Touch On .. Celiac DIsease by Peter R. Berlin

Not sure if this helps you but I try to read everything I can.

Jo Ann

Noelle126 Apprentice

THank you so much!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Please watch out for the Gluten Free Bible...that has some inaccuracies about products and what is and what is not gluten free. There was a discussion about it which celiac3270 started about the concern of this book for the new people to celiac. For people who have had celiac for a while it's probably ok for.

jerseyangel Proficient

I also found information contained in "The Gluten Free Bible" inaccurate--one of the meds. I take daily was listed in the book as "not gluten free". I called the drug co., spoke to a pharmacist who told me the drug was gluten-free--the starch used was from potato! A book I would recommend is "Dangerous Grains".

Noelle126 Apprentice

Darn it I just bought the Gluten Free Bible...but I guess I'll put it on my shelf and read it in about 6 months when I have more knowledge, it doesn't hurt to use it later on...I just dont need ANY misinformation right now...thanks Kaiti for the info!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I also bough the Gluten Free Bible, it was before I found this site. I'm sorry I got it. I have Wheat Free, Worry Free by Donna Korn on order. I have heard nothing but good about it.

I want to add a caution about inaccuraccy on the GFB, that the translations on the internation dining cards included are not always accurate. I have a friend that's french, and he said the french one was written so badly he couldn't understand what it said. I showed him the english translation and he was like "thats not what this says." same goes for the Japanese one. those are the only ones that I've been able to check, but as far as I'm concerned that makes them all suspect. I bought the Truimph cards ( no french though) and they've been good sofar.

Elonwy

celiac3270 Collaborator

Danna Korn is fantastic--cannot go wrong with her books, particularly Wheat-Free, Worry-Free. She has a new book coming out soon, Gluten-Free for Dummies or something of the sort (see amazon .com). Jax Peters Lowell is another story:

Open Original Shared Link

Do what you want, but I would strongly urge against Jax... I trust Danna Korn pretty unconditionally with celiac, but wouldn't trust Lowell--nothing against her as a person, but she's just got a multitude of inaccuracies in both Against the Grain and The Gluten-Free Bible.

CaliGirl Newbie

This weekend, I bought "Nourishing Traditions: the cookbook that challenges politically correct nutrition and the diet dictocrats" by Sally Fallon. Here's a link:

If you're just diagnosed, you're really going to have to be gentle to your GI tract--it's been damaged so much, it will take some time to heal. This book just uses simple foods that will be easy to digest and extra-nutritious. (Of course, ignore everything in the "Grains" section except for teff, corn, buckwheat, rice, and quinoa.)

Also, try googling "caveman diet"--it's really simple food that will help your body get back on track. To tell you the truth, I would rather eat food like this than try to make gluten free breads and cookies and all that. I guess I'm too lazy. :D When I'm feeling energetic, I do like Bette Hagman's books, though.

jrom987 Apprentice
Please watch out for the Gluten Free Bible...that has some inaccuracies about products and what is and what is not gluten free. There was a discussion about it which celiac3270 started about the concern of this book for the new people to celiac. For people who have had celiac for a while it's probably ok for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did notice some discrepencies in the Gluten Free Bible but some of the things it said was helpful. In my opinion, the best answers are given here. I like to read as much as I can so I can ask more intelligent questions. I feel pretty stupid since starting this three weeks ago.

Jo Ann

jenvan Collaborator

I echo--get "Wheat Free, Worry Free" by Danna Korn...most reliable.

hthorvald Rookie
I echo--get "Wheat Free, Worry Free" by Danna Korn...most reliable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My two favorite books are:

Gluten-Free Diet by Shelley Case. It was one of the first books I purchased after being diagnosed in May 2004. It became my absolute favorite and I relied on it heavily.

I bought "Gluten-Free 101" by Carol Fenster. I thought I knew it all after being gluten free for 1.5 years, but this book provided a lot of valuable information and easy to prepare recipes.

Now that I'm getting into cooking gluten-free, actually cooking and baking, I really like, "The Gluten-Free Kitchen," by Roben Ryberg.

Hope this helps.

Helen.

Noelle126 Apprentice

Barnes and Noble let me return The Gluten Free Bible and get "Wheat Free worry free" so yay I get the better book and I didn't have to buy both! :D

jenvan Collaborator

i was going to suggest trying to exchange it. coolio girl!

• 1 year later...
celiacheather Newbie
This weekend, I bought "Nourishing Traditions: the cookbook that challenges politically correct nutrition and the diet dictocrats" by Sally Fallon. Here's a link:

If you're just diagnosed, you're really going to have to be gentle to your GI tract--it's been damaged so much, it will take some time to heal. This book just uses simple foods that will be easy to digest and extra-nutritious. (Of course, ignore everything in the "Grains" section except for teff, corn, buckwheat, rice, and quinoa.)

I totally agree with this suggestion!!!

Awesome book and it really has changed my food outlook.

johnsoniu Apprentice

I would strongly endorse Danna Korn's books also. "Living gluten free for dummies" is a very handy book.

I think the problem with Lowell is she kinda got full of herself after "Dangerous Grains", which was a good book for it's time. In the Gluten Free Bible I think she was too much into "avoid this, have this" mode. And we all know the problem with that is that manufacturer's constantly change ingredients. Especially now that celiacs is becoming more to the forefront of the nation's awareness, I think many companies are opting to change ingredients in our favor.

As far as the GFB containing bad translations, that's just sloppy right there :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
Flitter30 Newbie
Danna Korn is fantastic--cannot go wrong with her books, particularly Wheat-Free, Worry-Free. She has a new book coming out soon, Gluten-Free for Dummies or something of the sort (see amazon .com).

I am currently reading "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies" by Danna Korn and I absolutely LOVE it. This is all new to me, but I am gaining tons of useful information from it. I recommend it to anyone who wants more information on a Gluten-Free lifestyle. :)

~Melissa

Generic Apprentice

I think I may buy gluten free for dummies for my mom, since she finally has decided to go gluten free.

Archived