2 replies to this topic

#1 PenelopeC3

PenelopeC3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

How does everyone handle being faced with cross contamination and the food cravings that accompany it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Are you talking about two separate issues, or do you experience food cravings as a result of eating contaminated food?

If you are talking about seeing something that is likely, and since you are unable to safely eat it, you crave it for the rest of the day, that sort of thing...

A good way to feel happier with your choice is to think of how ill you would have been had you eaten it.  Also, a lot of people learn to cook after a celiac diagnosis and will learn their favorite recipes that they can make themselves and safely gluten-free.  If you are going somewhere where food is being served, you can eat ahead of time so you don't have the temptation to eat CC'd food, and you can also bring your own food so you don't starve while staring at the delicious looking food.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 user001

user001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

Penelope, are you saying that you feel like you have food cravings after you have been cross contaminated?

Im not sure about the cross contamination and food cravings but I have noticed that I have had ridiculous hunger somedays for as long as i can remember. I assume its from not absorbing nutrients properly. I have heard every craving is associated with a deficiency of some sort. I think i heard that chocolate cravings were associated with a lack of magnesium and so on.Something for you to research.

I know something that helps me with the insane hunger is taking cider vinegar tablets 2 once a day, my grandmother (now deceased but I knew she was un diagnosed celiac) always used cider vinegar to settle her stomach, seems to help me too.  and just eating more fresh, whole foods. Be sure to steam your veggies a bit to make them easier to digest.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: