13 replies to this topic

#1 Celiac_xox

Celiac_xox

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Are there any brand in particular that are gluten free? What stores carry gluten free spices? I live in Canada if that helps.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

I usually buy McCormick. If you get a mix - like a taco seasoning - it could contain wheat. Plain pure spices are just spices.

I am not in Canada but I think that brand is there. I buy other brands, too if that is what the store has.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Celiac_xox

Celiac_xox

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

I usually buy McCormick. If you get a mix - like a taco seasoning - it could contain wheat. Plain pure spices are just spices.

OK thank you! I was just diagnosed last Tuesday. I was reading that sometimes spices could have gluten in them so I was curious as to which brands were best.I have been getting stomach issues still and I wasn't sure if it was because of the spices I have been using or how long it takes for stomach issues, diarrhea, light headedness, tingling in feet and arms to go away. Doctors didn't tell me anything..just not to eat gluten...(I wish they would have at least told me more than that!)

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

It takes much more than a week to be " cured". :).

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 SoLacey

SoLacey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

We use a lot of the Weber spices if you have those.  They are labeled gluten free and are very good!

#6 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Doctors didn't tell me anything..just not to eat gluten...(I wish they would have at least told me more than that!)

I understand that, my doctor had the nurse tell me over the phone, and she said "look it up on the internet"  LOL.  I asked if they had anything and they mailed me an photocopied packet of stuff that was vague and not specific.  You are in the right place with us :)  We have some Canadians so hopefully they will chime in on this one.  Just take care to make sure any product information you look up is for the Canada side, there are some differences in the products and availability between you guys and the U.S.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Yeti24

Yeti24

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

We use Epicure.... Everything they carry is gluten free since May of 2013. They have everything from taco seasonings to salad dressings, spices, you name it. It's not in stores, it's kind of like Avon or Scentcy. But once you find a rep in your area they are an awesome brand :) Here's a link to their site. Not sure if they get you in touch with a rep or not...

http://www.epicureselections.com/en/

Edited by Yeti24, 27 June 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#8 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

If you are cleaning out your current spice rack, the only thing I know to be wary of are "anti-flaking agents". That could mean flour, and they don't say what kind. 

So something like basil or parsley that is just dried leaves would be safe while something like garlic powder may not be, and why combination seasonings may be more likely to contain some added ingredient that isn't actually a spice.

#9 BoJonJovi

BoJonJovi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Try

herbco.com

MountainRoseHerbs.com

nuts.com

#10 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

http://www.penzeys.com/ .  I emailed them and they are totally gluten-free.

"Thanks so much for your interest in our spices. You may be happy to know that spices are naturally gluten-free, and we do not use any wheat, rye, oats, or barley in any of our products. Ingredients are clearly listed on our seasonings as well. We are in the process of testing all of our spices for gluten, but until everything is tested we cannot claim to be gluten free.

I hope this information is helpful. Have a great day,""

#11 elless

elless

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Penseys is good. They have a shop in summit nj I've been to. But definatly check them out. My favorite is Sunny Paris. I love it on veggies and eggs.

#12 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

I'm not sure if everything they make is gluten free, but many Badia brand spices are certified gluten free by the GFCO. I am in the U.S. and get them at Big Y supermarket, but I imagine they must be available at other places or online too.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#13 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

Penseys is good. They have a shop in summit nj I've been to. But definatly check them out. My favorite is Sunny Paris. I love it on veggies and eggs.

We had a store a couple miles from our old house---I miss that store :D

#14 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

My experience with "anti-flaking agents" is that wheat is not used because of the way it would alter flavor. Usually it's cellulose.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: