This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Eating Gluten Free With Friends Visiting

user001

bartfull Rising Star

Addie just said what I had WANTED to say, but I was trying not to scare you. :lol: And Laura is right - don't ASK them where they want to eat. TELL them where you are all GOING to eat. And when your diabetic friend finds out how good gluten-free can taste, maybe she'll try a gluten-free diet after all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user001 Contributor

This is probably going to come off as a bit snappish and with more than a little attitude, and frankly, that is just fine.

It's your freaking birthday. And finally instead of visiting where there is nothing you know there are completely safe options. You've sat and had water and watched them eat and simply enjoyed the company. If they don't want to eat the food at a gluten free place because they're afraid it won't be good or of the prices, or who cares why frankly, it's still their turn to order water or a drink. If they have no desire to do what you've been doing so you can, finally, for once, and on your damned birthday, enjoy a good and safe meal out... then as other say, celiac is a good jerkometer. There is nothing stopping them from grabbing some fast food or bringing a cooler.

I compromise all the time on all sorts of things. I don't on my birthday. By the gods the world will revolve around me for 24 hours and people that can't get on board can be thrown overboard. (By the way, I totally am actually loads of fun and have friends... I haven't scared them all off with my attitude problem. Most of them actually love that I put up with no nonsense and tell it like it is. I'm not just a snarky witch who has driven off the whole world with this type of rant.)

I love you. You should live in NJ and be my friend. LOL

Adalaide Mentor

Uh... I like the weather in UT. But we can still be friends! :)

user001 Contributor

Thanks guys. I always feel selfish expecting to be able to eat these days when im out with friends. I really feel like if there's an occasion, it should be my birthday when Im allowed to be selfish. There really is alot of good options at these places so im hoping they will be open to it. I already talked to my friend kate and she said shes cool with trying new stuff, and she has another friend who is celiac so she was really understanding when i explained. Its the other friend Jess,  the one who is diabetic who is not interested. She doesn't watch her carbs or what she eats at all, so her qualms are not about her dietary restrictions they are about personal taste. She is a chicken fingers and french fries type person. I love desserts but I have always liked healthy foods and it just isn't her thing. When i was living near them, kate and i used to always go out and eat without jess because we wanted something besides 'fingers and fries'.

I have already informed Jess of my diagnosis, but I will explain further in depth and see how it goes.

I will try to approach it as telling them and not asking because I think you guys are right about that.

user001 Contributor

Uh... I like the weather in UT. But we can still be friends! :)

ok :) the weather in NJ stinks anyway.

Adalaide Mentor

My husband is a chicken fingers, burgers, fries, pizza type of guy... with type 1 diabetes. <_< (I try, I swear to God I try!) He acts like if a vegetable gets within 10 feet of him he may spontaneously combust. Still, in the few completely gluten free places around here there is always something he'll eat. My favorite place makes sandwiches (arepas), pizza and is also a bakery that makes all sorts of things he enjoys. (but shouldn't) I even found a pizza place that has two kitchens, one regular and one gluten-free so we can both be happy.

Just a thought, although the price is usually crazy high, but if you have a Brazilian steakhouse in the area they are usually gluten free friendly. Not totally gluten free, but mostly. And they have rolls that you can eat. I swear I'm not making this up. And, since it's basically all you can eat meat brought around to your table, while it is terrible for your waistline it is carb friendly for your diabetic friend. Could be win/win. Besides the part where you'll need to be rolled out the door and be so poor after that you won't be able to afford groceries for a week, which is fine because you can totally stand to not eat for 3 days after.

Make sure if you do decide to compromise and go with a place that is gluten-free friendly and not just gluten-free to talk to people there ahead of time and that you're comfortable with the place before you show up. Never be disappointed, especially for your birthday.

btw, I'm aware of you're crappy weather. I grew up in PA and have family in NJ and was there every summer for a family reunion growing up. You can keep it. :P

Marilyn R Community Regular

Just distract  them with conversation on the way into the restaurant.  They won't even notice, unless they want a burger on a big wheat bun.  If they get in a hissy about that, they can stop my Mc D's or BK on the way back to your placel   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user001 Contributor

It's funny because i worked at BK in my teens and the manager there was very strict about keeping the first 2 fryers for FRIES ONLY. I am not sure if thats the same at every BK but i wouldnt trust it!

user001 Contributor

Well I just wanted to update you all! I had a thoroughly delightful day yesterday! When my friends arrived we chatted for awhile and they asked a few questions about celiac disease and i answered, turns out jess finally got that test for celiac disease but it came up negative. She wasn't sure what exactly they tested (iGa and iGG or just one) she also said some of her other levels were off like her iron was low but ferretin was high. Her have type 2 diabetes, the doc didnt like alot of her levels. I think she should be tested again, i swear this girl has celiac disease. So she said she would start trying to be gluten-free yesterday since we were going to go someplace where it would be possible. I tried to tell her things about cross contamination and other sources of secret gluten like soy sauce. I hope she keeps them in mind, this girl has been through so much with her health.

So they were like Where do you want to eat? I thought there was a red robin at the mall but it was a ruby tuesday! The other mall nearby has a red robin. darn! I went in to check out the menu while the girls shopped at a one of those soap and lotion stores. The hostess of course asked what allergy I had and I didn't want to sit and school her so I just told her that I had celiac disease. Shes like isn't that where u go to the bathroom after you eat bread? I'm just politely answered yes. She swears she has the disease. That menu did not look good and I wasn't going to settle, the salad bar just seemed like a really bad idea with all the possible CC. So i thanked the hostess for being helpful with the menu and I left. We hit GNC and I got a few quest bars, they are gluten-free and have a ton of protein which is something I lack. My friends actually bought some to try also! We hit the sale at Old Navy and picked up a couple things. Then I said lets go to Au bon pain. They have really good salads and use clean bowls and fresh tongs for each salad that they make right in front of you! Literally some of the best salads I have ever had in my life and much cheaper than these super fancy salad bar places.

Jess really didn't want salad but there wasn't anything else on the menu that was gluten free. She got her salad and I got a spinach salad with turkey, apples, brie cheese, walnuts, cranberries and a walnut maple dressing. This salad is heaven you guys. I checked ahead of time all ingredients are gluten-free and even the dressing. I couldn't resist and got a tiny bag of potato chips to go along with it but I always eat the healthy stuff first and the junk last so if i get full im finishing the good food and not finishing the junk. Don't mind me I am just obsessed with this salad. Kate got a sandwich and it was black angus something toasted with hot peppers and cheese. It smelled really good! She didn't do that thing where people are like oh taste it, just one bite. She just ate her sandwich and said how great it was and what a good choice in restaurant it was. Jess got a salad with romaine lettuce, chicken, oranges and almonds, same dressing as me. She was still hungry after so she got 2 little bags of chips and ate them. I was surprisingly full and couldn't finish my chips. We went off the explore my city and stopped for ice cream, i got one with caramel, chocolate and cashews. Very interesting combo, just got a kids scoop. I asked to look at the ingredients list and the girl was happy to help. Looked good, pretty straightforward ingredients. I explained that I had a 'food allergy' (easiest way to get them to clean stuff) and asked her to wash the scoop instead of just rinsing it in that bowl of water. She kindly did this, she actually washed it really well. I watched her and I was like man they are being great about this. We hit the Barnes and Noble and of course looked at the journals and wedding books as always.

Needless to say a small part of my brain told me this food all had to be too good to be true. We ate lunch at 4 and dessert at 5. We got back to my place at about 8. Part of me was kind of waiting for a bad reaction to start but it never did. I felt fine, i was actually feeling quite energized. They had a great time they said. Of course jess is just not feeling healthy, we all know how that is, but she was excited to come back for another birthday thing I am doing for local friends (bf and I have the same birthday so it always leads to multiple celebrations). I really hope they do! We have so much fun together!

SoLacey Newbie

Glad to hear you had a good day!!  It sounds like your friends did too.  Sounds like a happy ending!!  :)  I had to laugh at this "Shes like isn't that where u go to the bathroom after you eat bread?"  I couldn't help but think it's a little more like trying to safely eat in a sewer without getting sick but ok.  lol

user001 Contributor

I've noticed pretty often that when I say I have celiac disease and that my body can't digest gluten, I frequently have people say they think they have it. I just wish people took it seriously and got tested.

Archived