19 replies to this topic

#16 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

Yep, hours in a Whole Foods and my cart was still practically empty! It sucked. If you're seeing a nutritionist then you have time to transition. Start with meals you already make gluten-free (or a simply change will make them safe) - ie, steak and baked potatoes and you just need a new seasoning. Bacon and eggs and you just need a new brand of bacon, etc. you will work your way up to the big stuff, but do NOT stress, you'll get there.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

Well I'm back with an update! The biopsy came back with the result we already knew :( The doctor has up set up to see a nutritionist in a few weeks. I'm so happy cause then I may not feel so overwhelmed. Did any of you at first spend hours in a grocery store trying to figure out what is ok and what's not? I'm spending wayyyy more time than I care too ( and money too)!
PS- What syrup is gluten free? ( she hates maple syrup)

We use Summerland Sweets Blueberry Syrup, but it may not be down in the States. I would imagine that most syrups are gluten-free, but we tend to use berry syrups or maple.

The grocery store is tough at first. You'll find your brands eventually - you just need to hang in there for the first few months.

Don't forget to get the rest of the family tested, and retested every 2 years, because celiac disease is a genetically linked disease and someone else may have it. Be careful about testing if you are in the military, I think Canada and the States do not accept people with celiac disease, but I'm not sure what they do with those who are diagnosed while already in the service.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 BeckyS.

BeckyS.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

Yup that's next on the list is to get us all tested. I have two other girls ages 7, and 4.

#19 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

As for hours in the grocery store, right after I god diagnosed I went shopping at Kroger. Normally spent 30-45 minute for 2 weeks worth of groceries.....that day I spent almost 2 hours and had just over a weeks worth when I decided to call it quits for that trip. The next weekend I went to get another weeks worth and felt like a complete idiot.....they have "gluten free" on the shelf tags for majority of their gluten free products. Moral of my story, I recommend Kroger (or one of their sister stores I'm sure would have the same type of shelf tags) or just checking with an employee at customer service to see if there's anything like that in your grocery store.

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! 😁😀😜😛😎😷😋😇😏

#20 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

....or just checking with an employee at customer service to see if there's anything like that in your grocery store.

That is such good and simple advice! I wish I had thought of it!!  I need a head smacking smiley here...

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: