This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Who's Doing Blood Type Diet With Gf?

GC1

GC1 Rookie

We had been doing Dr. D'Adamo's blood type diet before I figured out being a Celiac, and it has helped tremendously the healing process since going gluten-free August 1st. I'm really curious as to who else uses this [or similar] diet/lifestyle, and what positive things they've noticed.

What made me think of posting about it again, was fixin' scratch BBQ baked beans a couple nights ago. I used Navy beans, which are on the "avoid" list. I'm still trying to get rid of the gas and disruption to my digestive system... cramps, smelly stool, thinner/wetter stool, and of course; poorer assimilation.

If you haven't used this diet aid, have you heard of it, or thought of using it?

GC

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debbiewil Rookie

I've picked up the book and looked at it. Doesn't make any sense to me, and the foods he notes for my blood type are all wrong. For instance, supposedly I AM supposed to be able to eat wheat. Well, with one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, that's not the best advice, even if I hadn't "triggered" the celiac. There were several other foods "advised" that I know I have problems with. And many of the "avoid" foods are the ones I show no reaction too. Anyway, he might accidentally get some people right, but it's more guess work than science.

Debbie

Rusla Enthusiast
I've picked up the book and looked at it. Doesn't make any sense to me, and the foods he notes for my blood type are all wrong. For instance, supposedly I AM supposed to be able to eat wheat. Well, with one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, that's not the best advice, even if I hadn't "triggered" the celiac. There were several other foods "advised" that I know I have problems with. And many of the "avoid" foods are the ones I show no reaction too. Anyway, he might accidentally get some people right, but it's more guess work than science.

Debbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have done this diet and liked it a lot. The thing is he is basing his findings on the general population of people he tested with this, not us select and unique individuals. I know for type A it says that wheats and glutens are neutrals and that we shouldn't have Halibut fish. Well I love halibut fish. Because I have a wheat allergy and high sensitivity to gluten I eliminated those. He is right on saying we are primary vegetarians and enjoy vegetables because I do enjoy them. I do like poultry and seafood but do not eat red meat because of an allergy to it and what they inject intothe cattle and meat . I love dairy, but as he says it is our enemY and it is mine and three of my type A siblings enemy. My daughter-in-law and grandaughter are A's and just like me and my son and grandson are O's and they are the O's he describes. From what we know in our family at the moment I am the only one with wheat allergies and gluten sensitivities except my sister has problems with rice, and some beans. I have problems with some beans also.

Basically his ideas are sound and most fit me but then some don't . With his "avoid" foods he doesn't necessarily say we will have reactions to them just internally they are not that good for us. When I did the diet and before i gained the copious amount of weight I have on me now. I was only 20 lbs overweight and I lost it by making sure I did not touch wheat, gluten or dairy.

Rusla

GC1 Rookie

Considering he could only break it down into three groups; white, black, and asian, he was able to do a fantastic job. OF COURSE the information is generalized, but it is an excellent base from which to build. Some of the info doesn't apply to me either, but most does. He even says Type O's don't tolerate wheat at all, and should eliminate it from their diet. My better-half is type O, but not Celiac... and she started 'no wheat/gluten' about one month after me, and her health is improving dramatically. He also says that grains in general are poor food choices for O's, which is good advice for most.

I'm part white and native american, so I kinda split the info between the white and asian suggestions, and this works quite well. Most people today are mixed genetically, with people from all over settling in this and many other countries. So the info has to be adjusted by each person... no book could be individual specific. The 'O' list says beef is the best meat for most, but for me, fowl is far better... the reason likely being that natives ate alot of wild fowl. Many of the natives out west would likely do better with beef/red meat, just as certain whites would do better with beef, some with fowl, or fish. It says to use little dairy, but I do fine with it, by having "white genes" from the UK--where they ate lots of dairy. The lists just have to be taken as a general aid, something to build on. The lists are about genetics, just as Celiac and many other diseases are.

GC

julie5914 Contributor

My mom swears by this diet as truth - she is an O. My doctor, an osteopath, also refers to it often. My sister, a biochemist, thinks it's a bunch of hooey. I know a good bit about it, but I don't follow it. I think there may be a connection as to what foods are better with a blood type, but I think it's more likely got to do with the levels of pro-bacteria and enzymes in my belly.

My husband and I are both type A+, CMV negative. We eat like night and day. Meat is very difficult for me, but he would eat it only if he could. I would probably be fine never eating it. He loves high fat, manly food. I like lighter foods. It goes on.

Rusla Enthusiast
My mom swears by this diet as truth - she is an O. My doctor, an osteopath, also refers to it often. My sister, a biochemist, thinks it's a bunch of hooey. I know a good bit about it, but I don't follow it. I think there may be a connection as to what foods are better with a blood type, but I think it's more likely got to do with the levels of pro-bacteria and enzymes in my belly.

My husband and I are both type A+, CMV negative. We eat like night and day. Meat is very difficult for me, but he would eat it only if he could. I would probably be fine never eating it. He loves high fat, manly food. I like lighter foods. It goes on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Genetic make-up, digestion and general population that Dr D'Adamo studied play a big roll in this. When I was on it I never broke out in blisters on my face, my hair and skin were never better, my stomach didn't burn, I lost weight and I ate gluten free bagels. I felt great and I did not eat any wheats or gluten. I kept to the rice pasta and used pesto sauce. The A diet is me for most of it, with the veggies and seafood, poultry. After this weekend I will go gluten-free again and follow that diet to see what happens.

Unfortunately here if you have to do a special gluten free diet you can not deduct it off of income tax however if you are celiac you can. The gluten free food is very costly but if it is suffer or pay and not suffer. I will take the latter.

My daughter-in-law did this diet and she said she has never felt better in her life and lost weight etc.

christa Contributor

Iws thinking of trying it too but Iam type b and I think that means everything in moderation. It says ygurt and milkare good forme but there is NO WAY and it says to avoid chicken which I eat everyday as I am intolerant to so many things which I hope will improve as this is only my second week gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast
Iws thinking of trying it too but Iam type b and I think that means everything in moderation.  It says ygurt and milkare good forme but there is NO WAY and it says to avoid chicken which I eat everyday as I am intolerant to so many things which I hope will improve as this is only my second week gluten-free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't have a problem with chicken then do it and if you are not into yogurt don't do it. I pick what I want because I do not eat Mackeral, I will not give up my halibut when it is in season and I still love my shrimps and chicken when I have them. I eliminate the wheats and glutens and kill off the tomato sauce. I would eliminate those which you know are killer for you. Believe me there are things on my list I won't touch and others that he says no to that I will. If they start giving me a problem then I exclude them

Good luck.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I tried this diet---there is another thread in the forum about this--search for it--you will find other answers too. I am a type A and I dont recall him telling us to eat wheat--as I recall, it said to stay away from wheat and I know it said to stay away from dairy products. I do just fine with dairy, but I followed the diet and I used soy products. I loved 8th Continent Vanilla Soymilk-----but, this was when I found I can not tolerate soy products. The diet made me very ill. I dont do well with many meats either. I eat chicken breasts, boneless and skinless--very white pork, tuna, and salmon. I eat peas, carrots, green beans, and a little corn. I cant have my favorites likes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage--all too gasy for me. I cant have tomato products anymore, cant even eat them fresh. Corn is fine as a vegetable, but not processed--no corn flours, no corn chips--nothing like that.

Gluten free is not a diet, it is a lifestyle that we all have to live. We dont have a choice. Diets are a choice!

Deb

Rusla Enthusiast
I tried this diet---there is another thread in the forum about this--search for it--you will find other answers too.  I am a type A and I dont recall him telling us to eat wheat--as I recall, it said to stay away from wheat and I know it said to stay away from dairy products.  I do just fine with dairy, but I followed the diet and I used soy products.  I loved 8th Continent Vanilla Soymilk-----but, this was when I found I can not tolerate soy products.  The diet made me very ill.  I dont do well with many meats either.  I eat chicken breasts, boneless and skinless--very white pork, tuna, and salmon.  I eat peas, carrots, green beans, and a little corn.  I cant have my favorites likes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage--all too gasy for me.  I cant have tomato products anymore, cant even eat them fresh.  Corn is fine as a vegetable, but not processed--no corn flours, no corn chips--nothing like that.

Gluten free is not a diet, it is a lifestyle that we all have to live.  We dont have a choice.  Diets are a choice!

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually what the book said is certain wheats...which I can't remember right now because I am at work are neutral for us. But as wheat in general for me it is all out except for like soy flour and potato starch. There are wheats like Semolina etc., that he listed as bad for us.

GC1 Rookie

Been out of town a few days... and missed the responses. It seems that one thing very important to the success of any blood type diet, would be looking at both sides of one's family as far back as possible. Then try 'n' decide how our bodies have developed from those people and their blood type and food staples. It's difficult for many people, as it is for me... especially when large differences exist. And if the two sides are mostly different blood types, there can be quite-a-bit of experimenting to find a good balance.

Just a little something to consider/ponder.

GC

ravenwoodglass Mentor
We had been doing Dr. D'Adamo's blood type diet before I figured out being a Celiac, and it has helped tremendously the healing process since going gluten-free August 1st. I'm really curious as to who else uses this [or similar] diet/lifestyle, and what positive things they've noticed.

What made me think of posting about it again, was fixin' scratch BBQ baked beans a couple nights ago. I used Navy beans, which are on the "avoid" list. I'm still trying to get rid of the gas and disruption to my digestive system... cramps, smelly stool, thinner/wetter stool, and of course; poorer assimilation.

If you haven't used this diet aid, have you heard of it, or thought of using it?

GC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just wanted to add this link that was the best one I found when I had folks telling me to ignore the celiac and go with this diet.

Open Original Shared Link

Those of you thinking about the diet may want to look at this.

skbird Contributor

I have taken some ideas from this diet and gone with them, but I don't follow it. I am type A and am supposed to eat a lot more carbs and a lot less meat than I do. But I am also hypoglycemic (reactive) and I cannot handle that kind of load. I have found that if I go for more than 3 days without meat (but eat lots of eggs, cheese, other protein sources) I start getting really moody and have a hard time concentrating.

What helped me a lot was reading the book (don't remember the exact name) The Metabolic Type Diet - I took the quiz and found I should really be on a high purine diet. I do best with heavier foods, though I do eat plenty of veggies as well. Veggies and meats are my best meals, and though I have wondered many times, I still am convinced dairy isn't a problem for me.

Definitely the info I learned about certain fish and beans to avoid has helped me, though.

Stephanie

hollybeth Newbie
I have taken some ideas from this diet and gone with them, but I don't follow it. I am type A and am supposed to eat a lot more carbs and a lot less meat than I do. But I am also hypoglycemic (reactive) and I cannot handle that kind of load. I have found that if I go for more than 3 days without meat (but eat lots of eggs, cheese, other protein sources) I start getting really moody and have a hard time concentrating.

What helped me a lot was reading the book (don't remember the exact name) The Metabolic Type Diet - I took the quiz and found I should really be on a high purine diet. I do best with heavier foods, though I do eat plenty of veggies as well. Veggies and meats are my best meals, and though I have wondered many times, I still am convinced dairy isn't a problem for me.

Definitely the info I learned about certain fish and beans to avoid has helped me, though.

Stephanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found your post interesting. I am gluten-sensitive and on a gluten-free diet but I also have a problem with hypoglycemia (post-prandial hypoglycemia) so I have to be really careful not to eat too many carbs, especially in the morning. I also find that I feel the best on high protein and lots of veggies. I had gotten that blood-type book a while ago and skimmed through it. My blood type is AB negative.

-Holly

GC1 Rookie
Just wanted to add this link that was the best one I found when I had folks telling me to ignore the celiac and go with this diet.

Open Original Shared Link

Those of you thinking about the diet may want to look at this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't comment on many of his statements, 'cause I'm not a doctor/scientist/etc... but there are many that are simply wrong, and irresponsible. All the people advising others regarding health matters make mistakes, make generalizations, have a particular bias, and are reflecting [to whatever degree] the evolving 'start of the art'.

Regarding this doctor's comments, it seems fair to say that the severe problems of over-population, corporate greed/fascism, the human condition, etc, has much more bearing on the world's concerns than meeting evolution's dietary needs... This says much about where this critic of Dr. D'Adamo's is coming from:

"Given these ever-increasing risks connected to meat consumption, I fear that the theories and books that attempt to justify and promote the eating of flesh - for whatever reason - could be opening the floodgates of ghastly epidemics five or ten years from now. These plagues likely will have a magnitude that will dwarf everybody's concerns about "being in the zone" or eating "right for your type."

Finally, no matter what advocates of animal-based diets might say about the merits of being in the "zone" or "eating right for your blood type," from an ecological standpoint, a meat-based diet for the world's population is non-achievable and, for even a sizeable minority, is non-sustainable. The world's soils, waters, and forests are being decimated to produce meat-based diets. We are destroying the life support systems of our planet - of our children's planet - for a mouthful of flesh. To me, the promotion of diets centered around meat increases the chances of ecological catastrophes and thus jeopardizes each of our futures.

I wish for everyone optimal health, happiness, and longevity. We owe it to ourselves, to our children, and to all who come after them, to see how optimal function and life span can be achieved on diets that are truly sustainable - for individuals, for societies, and for the planet. It is, after all, the food of all our futures".

-Michael Klaper, M.D.

lovegrov Collaborator

There's no real scientific basis to eating right for your blood type, however, the diet does work for some for two reasons (IMO):

1. If several million people try ANY diet no matter how strange, the diet will work for a certain percentage. Those are just the odds. People have lost weight taking pills, eating grapefruit, eating tons of meat, eating no meat, and on and on. Generally, we hear about the success stories because those people are happy and want to talk about it. We don't hear from the people who failed even though there are many, many more of them than successes.

2. Any diet or plan or whatever you want to call it that makes you pay more attention to what and how much you're putting in your mouth will help you lose weight and feel better, at least for a while. For the vast majority of people there are only two keys to either losing pounds or feeling better -- paying attention to what and how much you eat and exercise. That's it.

richard

GC1 Rookie
There's no real scientific basis to eating right for your blood type, however, the diet does work for some for two reasons (IMO):

1. If several million people try ANY diet no matter how strange, the diet will work for a certain percentage. Those are just the odds. People have lost weight taking pills, eating grapefruit, eating tons of meat, eating no meat, and on and on. Generally, we hear about the success stories because those people are happy and want to talk about it. We don't hear from the people who failed even though there are many, many more of them than successes.

2. Any diet or plan or whatever you want to call it that makes you pay more attention to what and how much you're putting in your mouth will help you lose weight and feel better, at least for a while. For the vast majority of people there are only two keys to either losing pounds or feeling better -- paying attention to what and how much you eat and exercise. That's it.

richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With all respect, I have to totally disagree with you on this. To take the most extreme example; as with many Celiacs; my knees, wrists, elbows, etc, had bascially become 'mush'. After hearing about Glucosamine and Chondroitin, I started using both. Within about two weeks, my stomach was in knots--but like other Celiacs, I figured it would pass, as this type thing was/is very common. Well, it didn't pass, and it got near extreme... at which point, I read where D'Adamo said the Chondroitin [in part] mimiced type B blood, and it could not be taken [for Type O]. I stopped, and the problem ended in days. I've tested his advice on many foods, and near all hold true.

It's interesting to me, that people de-value his work, especially when he is the ONLY person I found that repeatedly states that for many people; WHEAT, dairy, etc, are poor food choices, and for some, very/extremely harmful!

Go figure.......

GC

lovegrov Collaborator

You are one of the people it happened to work for. Great. I know people from every blood type who tried it and it didn't work at all.

As far as people who say wheat, dairy etc. might be bad for all, there are others who say that, including Dr. Fine. He doesn't think ANYBODY should eat wheat. Nor does the guy who wrote Dangerous Grains. It's not unusual advice at all.

richard

Archived