4 replies to this topic

#1 Rusla

Rusla

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

If there are any celiac disease's/gluten intolerant people in Calgary, AB who would like to hang out or get together sometime. Maybe yak or hunt down a restaurants for dinners etc. every now and then. Maybe if we band together more restaurants will have to get on board with gluten free meals etc.

Rusla
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

Rusla .. I don't live in Calgary, but I do know they have a large Celiac population and a group that meets fairly often. You can easily find their web-site. Just pop in Celiac Disease, Calgary into your search engine. I'm pretty sure there is a Celiac friendly Restaurant list on the web too. Type in Travel, Calgary, Celiac. You should be able to get together with quite a few Celiacs through the Calgary Celiac Ass.
My daughter lives there and has sent me several pieces of information. :rolleyes:

#3 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:28 PM

Rusla .. I don't live in Calgary, but I do know they have a large Celiac population and a group that meets fairly often. You can easily find their web-site. Just pop in Celiac Disease, Calgary into your search engine. I'm pretty sure there is a Celiac friendly Restaurant list on the web too. Type in Travel, Calgary, Celiac. You should be able to get together with quite a few Celiacs through the Calgary Celiac Ass.
My daughter lives there and has sent me several pieces of information. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Viola,

The restaurant thing is tough. One restaurant which was supposed to be celiac friendly , well actually three of them for two of them all I could get was steamed vegetables. That was all they could guarantee hadn't been near anything gluten the other one all I could have was rice noodles with nothing on it because all the other stuff was in contact with gluten. It was pretty sad experience.

I shall search for them.

Rusla
Rusla

Asthma-1969
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

#4 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:33 PM

Rusla,

Chianti's Italian restaurants have rice pasta, and if I remember correctly all their sauces are gluten free also, they use corn starch.

We went there for dinner a while ago with my celiac son and he had the rice pasta, it was sort of a rice vermicelli, kind of asian looking, not like the Tinkyada spaghetti sized/shaped rice pasta. The thing that bothered me, although I didn't say anything at the time, was the waiter said they had to charge more for the gluten-free pasta. In the end, it was the same price as the other meal off the children's menu. The other thing was that he wouldn't let my celiac disease son have the ice cream, although he only mentioned two ingredients that he thought were suspicious, but in fact are safe and he wouldn't let me look at the label myself. (But I agree with not giving him the ice cream--better safe than sorry, but he could've let me check for myself!)

The Mongolie Grill (4th St SW, I think) and Dalhousie Station both have gluten-free sauces, let them know at the time you get seated and they'll bring you a list of stuff you can/can't have.

The Celiac Association here had a list that said Outback has a gluten-free menu and the Keg will cook something to your specifications. The website has some useful restaurant info on it.
Here's a link to the restaurant page:
http://www.debdebdeb...garyceliac.html

I do know that the Calgary Celiac Association has dinners periodically that we don't go to because they are mostly for grownups, and in our house it's our six year old with celiac disease and I don't think he wants to hang out with a bunch of "old people" who aren't his parents.

Good luck!
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#5 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:52 PM

Rusla,

Chianti's Italian restaurants have rice pasta, and if I remember correctly all their sauces are gluten free also, they use corn starch.

We went there for dinner a while ago with my celiac son and he had the rice pasta, it was sort of a rice vermicelli, kind of asian looking, not like the Tinkyada spaghetti sized/shaped rice pasta. The thing that bothered me, although I didn't say anything at the time, was the waiter said they had to charge more for the gluten-free pasta. In the end, it was the same price as the other meal off the children's menu. The other thing was that he wouldn't let my celiac disease son have the ice cream, although he only mentioned two ingredients that he thought were suspicious, but in fact are safe and he wouldn't let me look at the label myself. (But I agree with not giving him the ice cream--better safe than sorry, but he could've let me check for myself!)

The Mongolie Grill (4th St SW, I think) and Dalhousie Station both have gluten-free sauces, let them know at the time you get seated and they'll bring you a list of stuff you can/can't have.

The Celiac Association here had a list that said Outback has a gluten-free menu and the Keg will cook something to your specifications. The website has some useful restaurant info on it.
Here's a link to the restaurant page:
http://www.debdebdeb...garyceliac.html

I do know that the Calgary Celiac Association has dinners periodically that we don't go to because they are mostly for grownups, and in our house it's our six year old with celiac disease and I don't think he wants to hang out with a bunch of "old people" who aren't his parents.

Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks,

Yes, there are numerous things I have to watch out for besides gluten and one is msg. It was the Swiss Chalet and Moxies where the only thing I could have was steamed vegetables and it was just noodles at Lucianos.

I shall give the association a shot also. Yes, I am sure your son does not want to hang out with what he would consider a group of fossils. Just think in a few years he won't even want to hang with his parents. They seem to do that younger now than when I was a kid.

Rusla
Rusla

Asthma-1969
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: