Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could It Still Be Celiac Or Gluten Sensitivity?

gluten celiac diagnosis mom gluten sensitivity help

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Lovelivedance

Lovelivedance

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Okay, here's my story. Ever since the age of 7 I have been experiencing stomach pain after meals. In the last few years the stomach pains have been going away but I still have many symptoms such as headaches,skin rashes,dizziness and constipation. I went to the doctor for my problems and they told me to go off dairy and tested me for celiac among other things.The next day they called to say all my blood work was fine and that I don't have celiac ( I find this strange because doesn't the blood work take more than 1 day) Anyways so going off dairy helped a bit but I still have many symptoms. The reason I'm still thinking gluten is the culprit is because my mom also has many symptoms such as psoriasis,keratosis Polaris, fatigue and sleep apnea. I still live with my mom and she thinks that gluten sensitivity is a myth and won't let me go off of gluten to see if I have a sensitivity. Anyways so what should I do and is it possible I still have celiac or even a gluten sensitivity?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Can you get a hold of what tests were done?  Some doctors run the old tests, misinterpret the results, or only run one test when more should be done.  You do have some symptoms that could be attributed to celiac disease or NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitivity) so it is worth rechecking.

If you think it could be NCGS, go gluten-free for a few months and documents your symptoms.  No one needs a doctor's prescription to go gluten-free. Gluten has no nutritional value anyways, and is not heavily eaten in other parts of the world... it is just convenient and tastes good.  ;)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 user001

user001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I do think the test does take more than one day to run and interpret. I was told 4 days is about the shortest. So that is strange. I have heard that many people have the test run several times and sometimes it takes a few times to actually come back positive. I was young (17) when I first started to realize something was wrong, like yourself. I wish I knew about celiac disease then, because I am about to turn 30 and I have been through a lifetime of hurt because of this disease. I was always misunderstood by my parents because of the way I ate and felt all the time. It is certainly difficult. You are very lucky to have the resources to help you determine what tests the doctors should run, i wish i had the resources at a young age because I would have asked the Dr to run the tests sooner and saved myself and my health.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#4 Lovelivedance

Lovelivedance

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thank you both for you're help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: