11 replies to this topic

#1 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

So its been about 3 months since i completely cleaned out my kitchen. I have gotten all new cooking spoons, a new toaster and completely changed the way my family eats. We have not had any amount of gluten in the house since the end of school (a month ago) and even when there was bread i was really careful about cleaning up and using a new fresh paper plate to make the kids sandwiches. 

Anyhow.. My smallest is still complaining of a tummy ache on a daily basis. Does it take awhile for the gluten to work itself out or does this sound like a different problem?

On a good note.. Both girls skin has cleared up and they have both gained weight. Its amazing how much can change in a short period of time.

After 3 years of wondering why my baby had reflux, seizures with no neuro cause, and horrible daily stomach aches; we were finally officially diagnosed with Celiac on 4/24/14. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I cant wait to make her feel better!

Mom to 4 little ones, 10, 6, 6, and 3

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jen-S

Jen-S

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi AshleyD,

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's continued tummy aches even after becoming 100% gluten free. Yes. It can take from 6-8 months depending on how severly the gut was damaged. Please know that this is common in celiac patients. I was diagnosed with celiac in 01/2012 and it has been a interesting journey to say the least. It took me a few months, but I also realized I could no longer eat corn, soy and most dairy products. After eliminating these items, I no longer have any problems other than an occasional tummy ache due to
cross contamination when I'm eating out. Hope this helps. Feel free to inbox me for more information.

#3 beth01

beth01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Maybe your child has other food sensitivities.  You might want to keep a food diary for her and a diary of her symptoms.  It might narrow down just what else might be bothering her.  Are they having milk?  Most can't ingest dairy after diagnosis due to you secrete the enzyme to ingest dairy on the tips of your villi and most are blunted after diagnosis from the damage gluten does.

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Is she eating dairy?  maybe try to eliminate that for a few weeks and see if that helps.  Sometimes lactose intolerance is a problem, too.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

. Feel free to inbox me for more information.

The purpose of the forum is to share your ideas with everyone.  That can be helpful for people for years to come who might see these posts.  Thank you

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

The only dairy she eats is cheese and butter. We have used almond milk for years because we thought she was dairy intolerant to begin with.. (All her issues started with birth)

Im relieved to know that the stomach pains are normal.. But it saddens me that she is not going ot be better for a while longer. I wish this was quicker. :(

After 3 years of wondering why my baby had reflux, seizures with no neuro cause, and horrible daily stomach aches; we were finally officially diagnosed with Celiac on 4/24/14. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I cant wait to make her feel better!

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

The only dairy she eats is cheese and butter.

see if you notice if she has a tummyache if she eats cheese or butter.  i skipped it for probably 6 months (with much relief) and was able to add it back in - if her gut is being irritated by something she is having a hard time digesting, it may hamper her healing progress.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

A food journal may help you pin point offending foods. I realized that I had problems with milk and can not handle some raw fruits (apples, pears) and veggies.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#9 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

i think i will start with a food journal. Thanks guys!

Could it be pots and pans hiding gluten maybe?

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

i had both stainless steel and non-stick cookware.  the stainless can be cleaned really well with brillo and you should be fine.  i don't use the non-stick ones anymore because they were scratched up and gluten can hide in the scratches.  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#11 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

So basically my pots are glutening my girls? :( I cant afford a new set. My husband thinks i am crazy. (for thinking we need all these new things. ) oy

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

i was skeptical myself (and i was the one getting sick!  lolz)  and we also are not rolling in 'dough' but i found that if i replaced things one at a time, it was do-able.  i figured out the pot/pan i used the most and that was replaced first (saute pan, in my case).  if you have a 'ross' store, they have decent stainless for pretty cheap(er).  or maybe and outlet store?

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: