This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Still Getting Tummy Aches

ashleyld

ashleyld Rookie

So its been about 3 months since i completely cleaned out my kitchen. I have gotten all new cooking spoons, a new toaster and completely changed the way my family eats. We have not had any amount of gluten in the house since the end of school (a month ago) and even when there was bread i was really careful about cleaning up and using a new fresh paper plate to make the kids sandwiches. 

Anyhow.. My smallest is still complaining of a tummy ache on a daily basis. Does it take awhile for the gluten to work itself out or does this sound like a different problem?

On a good note.. Both girls skin has cleared up and they have both gained weight. Its amazing how much can change in a short period of time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jen-S Newbie

Hi AshleyD,

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's continued tummy aches even after becoming 100% gluten free. Yes. It can take from 6-8 months depending on how severly the gut was damaged. Please know that this is common in celiac patients. I was diagnosed with celiac in 01/2012 and it has been a interesting journey to say the least. It took me a few months, but I also realized I could no longer eat corn, soy and most dairy products. After eliminating these items, I no longer have any problems other than an occasional tummy ache due to

cross contamination when I'm eating out. Hope this helps. Feel free to inbox me for more information.

beth01 Enthusiast

Maybe your child has other food sensitivities.  You might want to keep a food diary for her and a diary of her symptoms.  It might narrow down just what else might be bothering her.  Are they having milk?  Most can't ingest dairy after diagnosis due to you secrete the enzyme to ingest dairy on the tips of your villi and most are blunted after diagnosis from the damage gluten does.

kareng Grand Master

Is she eating dairy?  maybe try to eliminate that for a few weeks and see if that helps.  Sometimes lactose intolerance is a problem, too.

kareng Grand Master

. Feel free to inbox me for more information.

The purpose of the forum is to share your ideas with everyone.  That can be helpful for people for years to come who might see these posts.  Thank you

ashleyld Rookie

The only dairy she eats is cheese and butter. We have used almond milk for years because we thought she was dairy intolerant to begin with.. (All her issues started with birth)

Im relieved to know that the stomach pains are normal.. But it saddens me that she is not going ot be better for a while longer. I wish this was quicker. :(

notme Experienced

The only dairy she eats is cheese and butter.

see if you notice if she has a tummyache if she eats cheese or butter.  i skipped it for probably 6 months (with much relief) and was able to add it back in - if her gut is being irritated by something she is having a hard time digesting, it may hamper her healing progress.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

A food journal may help you pin point offending foods. I realized that I had problems with milk and can not handle some raw fruits (apples, pears) and veggies.

ashleyld Rookie

i think i will start with a food journal. Thanks guys!

Could it be pots and pans hiding gluten maybe?

notme Experienced

i had both stainless steel and non-stick cookware.  the stainless can be cleaned really well with brillo and you should be fine.  i don't use the non-stick ones anymore because they were scratched up and gluten can hide in the scratches.  

ashleyld Rookie

So basically my pots are glutening my girls? :( I cant afford a new set. My husband thinks i am crazy. (for thinking we need all these new things. ) oy

notme Experienced

i was skeptical myself (and i was the one getting sick!  lolz)  and we also are not rolling in 'dough' but i found that if i replaced things one at a time, it was do-able.  i figured out the pot/pan i used the most and that was replaced first (saute pan, in my case).  if you have a 'ross' store, they have decent stainless for pretty cheap(er).  or maybe and outlet store?

Archived