Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Can I Thicken My Mac N Cheese Sauce?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 user001

user001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm planning to make some Mac n cheese with veggies this week. I haven't made it in probably a year or more, I am confident that wegmans gluten free pasta will be delicious. I used to make it with a roux with flour of course, I was thinking of baking a potato and using that to thicken the sauce. I also have gluten-free cornstarch. Anyone have any experience making a roux? I use cornstarch in my gravy, but I'm worried it might be weird with dairy. Thoughts, ideas?

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

I've never used a roux in my mac and cheese but I have made them for other things using gluten-free flour and never had a problem.

#3 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

I have been making a roux when I make hot dishes since there is a real lack of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup around here that is gluten free.  You just might have to use more than you would have before

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Psyillium husks are good for thickening water containing liquids.  Not sure if the would work for a roux tho.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

I do this all the time. I learned to make mac & cheese from a roux first and that's how I keep doing it. I use whatever flour I have at hand. I started using rice flour, although I'm not a super fan of it it works. I much prefer to use the AP flour that I keep on hand instead. At any rate, either worked just fine and my mac & cheese is as awesome as ever. And now I want some!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

My daughter and boyfriend have been hounding me to make homemade mac and cheese.  I have never done it, but I would think it would taste better than anything on the shelves.  My daughter was a die hard Kraft Mac and Cheese fan so I am not sure how homemade will stack up to her expectations.

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

As Addy said, any all purpose flour mix (even baking mixes like pamelas) make great thickeners when used in a roux.  I generally make a roux with half corn starch and half brown rice flour, but if I am out of one, I use whatever flour is on hand.  Brown rice flour takes a little longer to thicken than white rice flour.  But either will make a great cheese sauce.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

You guys think I should use different proportions? I used to go on the rule that 1 tbls of fat + 1 tbls of flour to thicken 1 cup of liquid. I never measure anything exactly but I have a good eye. This will be my first gluten free roux, so im really hoping its not a bust. Like I said its been a year or more since Ive made my famous mac n cheese, I know it wont be the same but the original recipe took a few times to perfect. Im hoping to pump up this version with some veggies like spinach inside and tomatoes on top.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.

Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

#9 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

I usually just eyeball everything also, but I have noticed that I need a bit more roux now than I did before.  Just my personal experience with the three things I have made, lol.  Someone with more experience will know more than I.

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#10 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

You guys think I should use different proportions? I used to go on the rule that 1 tbls of fat + 1 tbls of flour to thicken 1 cup of liquid. I never measure anything exactly but I have a good eye. This will be my first gluten free roux, so im really hoping its not a bust. Like I said its been a year or more since Ive made my famous mac n cheese, I know it wont be the same but the original recipe took a few times to perfect. Im hoping to pump up this version with some veggies like spinach inside and tomatoes on top.

I use the 1:1 proportion.  There are probably slight differences in the amount of freed starches each individual flour puts off, so just eyeball it.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 abqmalenurse

abqmalenurse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Xanthan gum would work.

137 IQ

Nurse for 20 years, abdomino/thoracic, cardiac, ICU, CCU, ER, neuro/neurosurgery, hospice, infectious disease.

Certified chef, auto/diesel/turbine mechanic, freelance writer.

Gluten free since 2006.

Hobbies-blogging, cooking, photography, gardening (giant crops frequently), developing gardening methods for arid environments, experimenting with alternative electrical generation methods, solar design.

#12 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

I have never made mac and cheese from scratch but I use potato starch to thicken my gravies and sauces. I prefer it to flours because it doesn't impart any flavor so you don't have to cook it in order for it to be done, just add enough to get to the thickness you want and serve. 

But you do have to use less of it than flours so adding slowly helps to avoid going too far too fast. 

I haven't tried xanthum gum as a thickener but I generally try to avoid it and guar gum because both are known to cause digestive symptoms and mess with blood sugar levels. I only had a bad reaction once when I ate too much of something containing it in one sitting, but it was bad enough for me to learn that the maximum daily doses for each are pretty low.

http://www.webmd.com...ame=XANTHAN GUM
http://www.webmd.com...ntName=GUAR GUM

#13 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks you guys. I think I might just go with potato starch because it sounds like i can adjust if necessary. I can't wait! I will update later in the week when i finally make it.

#14 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I make homemade mac and cheese all the time, using 2T butter + 2T cornstarch for the roux, with 2 cups of milk and as much cheese as I can cram into it.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#15 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

I'm curious to know from anyone who has tried both if cornstarch is similar to potato starch when used as a thickener. I've only experimented with potato and not corn. Does it impart flavor, does it clump more or less than flours, etc.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: