This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida?

Flurriewurrie

Flurriewurrie Newbie

Hi all!

I'm a newbie here but not a newbie to coeliac disease. I'm a 25 year old girl, on a glutenfree diet for 5 years now. Though a lot better than before the diet, I'm still exhausted. Too exhausted to have a life, too exhausted to study, too exhausted for almost everything.

That's why I'm going to have a bloodanalysis for candida.

Has anyone here any experience (good or bad) with a candida treatment? Did it improve things or not?

Many greetings, Flurriewurrie.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bikerblue Newbie

Hi. Yes before I went gluten free I went on a candida diet. I had good results with it. The die-off stinks but is well worth it. I went on a year cleansing program using antifungals. It is tough it really is but I needed to clean my body out which I did. I have been bad again and into the sugar but need to change all of that. THere is a wonderful website that has a message board and tons of help that you can go by and sells products. I've used their products and can say that they definitely work. If you have any quesitons dont hesitate to contact me. I'm not sure if we can post links on here or not otherwise I would give you the website.

But if you are interested you can email me and I will gladly help you out in any way I can. bikerblue@yahoo.com

Tami

YankeeDB Contributor

Flurrywurrie, who is doing your candida test? Many doctors are skeptical about this which is not to say that it does not exist.

I suspect other grains besides gluten may cause fatigue--the book Dangerous Grains is interesting on this point.

I assume you've had a full workup--thyroid (full panel, not just TSH), Iron, Folate, B12, other deficiencies?

How about a viral or bacterial infection (as opposed to fungal)?

I mention these things just to be thorough.

Best wishes!

YankeeDB Contributor

Here something pertinent from: Open Original Shared Link

"But my patient has not responded to a gluten free diet"

Reports in the literature of the effect of the gluten-free diet on neurological dysfunction are conflicting. Almost all patients reported in the literature have the diagnosis of celiac disease before the development of neurological dysfunction. They may represent a different group of patients from those presenting with neurological dysfunction without bowel involvement. Additionally, improvement of gastrointestinal symptoms and improvement of the histological abnormalities on repeat small bowel biopsy often were the measures used to assess the response to the diet. Serological evidence of response (for example, sustained elimination of antigliadin antibodies) has rarely been used as confirmation of strict adherence to the gluten-free diet. Incomplete elimination of gluten from the diet may be enough to abolish gastrointestinal symptoms with recovery of the small bowel mucosa but is insufficient to arrest the state of heightened immunological responsiveness resulting in neuronal injury. There is a group of patients with celiac disease "resistant" to gluten-free diet. This may reflect hypersensitivity to the minute amounts of gluten present in most "gluten-free" products. An analogous situation may exist in cases of gluten ataxia or gluten related neuropathy. The monitoring of neurological improvement in such cases is made difficult by the slow and sometimes incomplete regeneration of the nervous system. In cases of gluten ataxia where the underlying pathology is loss of Purkinje cells, one may only expect the stabilisation of the disease without any definite clinical improvement. This is in marked contrast to the response seen in patients with florid gastrointestinal symptoms who notice almost immediate improvement after the introduction of a gluten-free diet.

Flurriewurrie Newbie

Hi!

Tami, thanks a lot for the hope you gave me! So, I don't have to be so skeptical about it? And yes, I would very much like to contact you further on that topic, you may expect an e-mail from me, thanks a lot!!!

YankeeDB, also thanks for your reply! I've just had my bloodwork done, I'm waiting for the results. My blood will be analysed for deficiencies (iron, folate en B12, and no matter what the results of the B12 will be, I'll be getting 8 injections with a high dosage of it.), for Pfeiffers disease (wich I' ve also had a couple of years ago), for glucose and for thyroid disease (unfortunately only TSH, my doctor didn't want to test the others)

For the candida, I'll be seeing an alternative doctor who has a good reputation so fingers crossed...

About the other grains, I also have to avoid fructose (lactose too, by the way) so I can't have corn anyway.

And with me,rice always causes the same symptoms as do gluten. Do you avoid grains completely? I don't have any problems with buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth. But those aren't grains, are they?

Unfortunately, I'm one of those sensitive persons: I can't have the smallest dosage of glutenfree wheat or dextrose made out of wheat. Contamination is also a serious problem with me.

But I refuse to except this fatigue! So: fingers crossed for the results of my bloodwork, the results of the B12 injections and the results of a candida treatment...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your replies!!!

Greetings to you all, Flurriewurrie.

Archived