This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got A Koolatron...on Sale!

across

across Contributor

On some old threads about how to travel safely, I saw that some of you really liked your Koolatron coolers. I looked at them, but they were around $120, and I just couldn't quite justify spending that much at this time.

My hubby and I were in Home Depot yesterday, and found a 14 qt. soft-sided Koolatron on a special-buy price for just $39.88! I am incredibly thankful to have found this, as I am just getting ready for a long road trip.

They also sell other Koolatrons, but this special-buy unit is priced quite a bit lower.

Open Original Shared Link

I don't know how long the promotion lasts, but I'm thinking it might be a fourth of July weekend type special.

(I have no affiliation with either Koolatron or Home Depot, just thought this might be helpful to someone.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Very cool.  I got a thing like that only mine will do cool or hot.  You'll get a lot of use out it.  

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

I am so glad you found one at a very decent price!! I love my Koolatron cooler, too!

beth01 Enthusiast

I am going to buy two of the today, thank you so very much for sharing that.   If I could kiss you I would :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My last one got set next to  the car on trash day.  YOU guessed it, it got tossed in the can. For once someone took initiative to pick up "trash." HOLD ON to your car ovens. 

I have noticed that it helps to spray a bit of water inside when it is time to heat up.  It helps it heat more evenly or faster.  Enjoy!  I prefer one thing that heats only and keep a cooler separate.  I use a lunch box stove, . Open Original Shared Link

One can also google 12 volt car oven to find one.

I have tried even a more expensive Burton, but the Kooltron lasted longer, so when the Burton broke I went back to Kooltron.  I did like that the Burton heated to 350 degrees and was somewhat larger.  One can tantelize a car load of people baking a sweet potato on a long car trip.

Yeah, one for each car would be nice!

Dee

across Contributor

I am going to buy two of the today, thank you so very much for sharing that.   If I could kiss you I would :)

I'm so glad it helped! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
beth01 Enthusiast

Thanks again across.  I just received my two coolers.  I had to order them online as they were out in the store.  I am tempted to ask my BF to take me on a road trip this weekend just to try it out!  Two coolers with more square feet than one and better priced by forty dollars!  Once again, you're awesome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

How well do these things keep food cold when they aren't plugged in and the car running? A lot of times, we drive somewhere and then don't eat the food for hours.

beth01 Enthusiast

Good question Karen, I will be interested to hear the answer.  I am thinking about buying an adapter since not all Hotel/Motels have refrigerators. They are kind of spendy though

kareng Grand Master

Good question Karen, I will be interested to hear the answer.  I am thinking about buying an adapter since not all Hotel/Motels have refrigerators. They are kind of spendy though

Maybe Irish will hear us if we call loud enough!

IRISH! HEY! IRISH!

beth01 Enthusiast

LOL

IrishHeart Veteran

Maybe Irish will hear us if we call loud enough!

IRISH! HEY! IRISH!

what? quit yer yellin..!..I'm asleep....and I'm on vacation .. ^_^

When I use the Koolatron, it's because I am driving for 6-8 hours or so with it plugged in and then, I bring the food into a hotel and throw it in the fridge.

If you were to leave the food in the cooler and not open it and let out the cold air, it should stay cold for a while. Especially because you have put foods that are already cold in it. That's what is recommended, by the way--not putting in warm or room temp foods. 

Obviously, don't leave it in a hot car all day long. They are designed for use when actually traveling, not just for sitting in the car.

Think of it as you would a cooler bag with an ice pack in it. How long would you let it sit in the car and expect it to keep things really cold?

Does that help? :)

beth01 Enthusiast

Yup.  Sorry to disturb your vacation, back at it.  Thank you!

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

This is creaking awesome! I gonna go check these things out. I deliver mail for a living, which means driving around in a hot aluminum box all day where it's about 15 degrees hotter in the truck than it is outside......which means no keeping drinks cold in a regular cooler. But if I can find one semi-compact this would be killer sweet!!

SMRI Collaborator

Running to HD today!!!  I SO need one of these!

across Contributor

How well do these things keep food cold when they aren't plugged in and the car running? A lot of times, we drive somewhere and then don't eat the food for hours.

I took it on a two-day road trip. I would say that this model kept the food nice and cool, but not really COLD. I probably wouldn't use it like that over several days for foods that would spoil, but it was really great for the snack-type stuff I had. 

I wouldn't rely on this model to keep foods cold for a long time without being plugged in. You might be better with a hard-sided model. 

If you are taking a long trip like I did, it would probably be wise to get the AC adapter. I had a fridge in my hotel room, but it would have been nice to be able to leave it full and just plug it in.

One huge thing: make sure the two vents have plenty of room for air circulation. Some people online have thought that theirs wasn't working, but they may not have been giving it sufficient circulation. You can't put these in something like a tire well and expect them to work.

IrishHeart Veteran

Yup.  Sorry to disturb your vacation, back at it.  Thank you!

I was not scolding you. I was scolding Karen.  :lol:  and you're welcome! I was one of the first ones to buy this thinger and honestly, i was surprised at how well it worked. Mine is the kind that has hard sides and fits behind the driver's seat. This plugs into the cigarette lighter in the console. The garmin GPS plugs into the

dash one. When I need to recharge the phone, I have to decide what's more important..... then, there are the wires for the sirius.

Honestly. I am old school. I grew up with a transistor radio and 5 channels. I had dimes in my pocket to call someone from a pay phone.

We drank warm soda and dried up sammies because there were no coolers...and if you got lost driving somewhere, you pulled out a map.......

^_^  ok...off to the beach now on my bike...sun's up and lookin like a great day.........see ya lata gatas. 

SMRI Collaborator

Just picked one up at Home Depot.  It was $40ish with tax.  They had them in the appliance department in a corner, not by the other coolers.

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Guys...what are we talking about ;)

I got distracted by the cute puppy picture....looks like what my Niki (15 years young) musta looked like as a puppy (we adopted her at 10 months old)

Archived