This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Store-Cut Pineapple

veryami1

veryami1 Apprentice

Anyone ever asked a grocery store how they cut their freshly cut fruit? Just had a reaction and I don't know to what - but I did have pineapple from the grocery store that was precut and sold in a plastic container. Any chance that could be it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Early on after diagnosis I used to get a lot of mystery glutenings. I was trying to eat healthier and buying precut fruit often from a small local grocery near me. One day I went into the back room where they process their fruit. They had a huge cutting board they used. It was lunch time and guess where the staff had layed out their meals. Right on that cutting board. I only buy whole fruit there now. 

I feel it is always safest to buy whole fruit and cut it up myself unless I am shopping in a large store where I can see that fruit is cut in a dedicated area. My local Wegmans cuts on a table right in the middle of the produce area but some may cut in the deli area where IMHO risk of CC is high. 

If you are early in the diet keep in mind that reactions can be delayed so it isn't always the last thing that you ate that got you. Some may also simply not tolerate some foods other than gluten. This is often seen early in the diet before we have fully healed. 

IrishHeart Veteran

I get the pre-cut pineapple sometimes and have never had an issue with it. The larger grocery chains use a machine to core and cut the pineapple. 

kareng Grand Master

I get the pre- cut pineapple, too. Some it it is even cut at the " pineapple factory " before it gets to a store.

The behavior Raven described should never happen. It is against all health codes. Hopefully, she reported that or scared the management into compliance? Lol. :)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If I am having problems with glutenings of unknown source, I try to cut out all the possibilities I can, especially the easier ones.  It seems pretty easy to me to cut up pineapple yourself.  The more possibilities you eliminate, the easier it is to figure out what is causing a problem.  Sometimes it just takes time to heal and how you feel each day has ups and downs.  I hope that you feel better soon.

Adalaide Mentor

The behavior Raven described should never happen. It is against all health codes. Hopefully, she reported that or scared the management into compliance? Lol. :)

I thought the same thing immediately. That behavior is disgusting, should have been an isolated incident and should have been reported both to management and the health department. Just EWWW!!!

I rarely buy precut fruits and veggies unless they're on sale, but on occasion I will pick them up. Some stores just get the produce in already packaged and cut. One local store in my area has a deli-like area dedicated entirely for produce. They make their own salsas, fruit dips, and cut things up. So, if you'd like to know how your pineapple was handled the only way to know is to ask the store where you got it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This store is a very small Mom and Pop type operation. I am sure larger stores with break rooms have regs about that type of thing as it is rather unappealing to the customers. This area is a back room where customers don't usually go. There was no produce in the area at the time and they of course wiped down the cutting board afterwards. I am not sure any health codes were being broken. I still find it yucky from a CC standpoint though. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

As maybe the only pineapple grower on the forum, I can see its worth it to save and  buy the whole one and cut it yourself. The nutritional value is considerably more.  PLus if you have a juicer you can put the outer skin, eyes and core threw it and you will have the most unbelievably sweet juice you can  imagine. Yes the skin which is where much of the sugars reside.  with whats left you can  eat, freeze, cook with or make  types of jelly / conserves.  Its also worth it to get Maui gold instead of  costa rican pineapples which are usually sprayed with chemicals now banned in the US.

kareng Grand Master

As maybe the only pineapple grower on the forum, I can see its worth it to save and buy the whole one and cut it yourself. The nutritional value is considerably more. PLus if you have a juicer you can put the outer skin, eyes and core threw it and you will have the most unbelievably sweet juice you can imagine. Yes the skin which is where much of the sugars reside. with whats left you can eat, freeze, cook with or make types of jelly / conserves. Its also worth it to get Maui gold instead of costa rican pineapples which are usually sprayed with chemicals now banned in the US.

This store is a very small Mom and Pop type operation. I am sure larger stores with break rooms have regs about that type of thing as it is rather unappealing to the customers. This area is a back room where customers don't usually go. There was no produce in the area at the time and they of course wiped down the cutting board afterwards. I am not sure any health codes were being broken. I still find it yucky from a CC standpoint though.

I know a lot of states/ counties health codes do not allow the consumption of food where food is prepared. It isn't up to a store to decide if that should be the rule. That means you can't eat in the food prep area, even if no food is currently being prepped. Do restaurants staff eat in the kitchen at the end of the night? Probably but it would be against most health codes.

Edit - not sure how I quoted Ken? Agh the mysteries of the Internet. Sometimes, Ken, I am just too lazy to cut up my own pineapple. And I agree that Hawaiian pineapples are the best! Interesting about juicing the whole thing. Don't have a juicer, but I am tempted.

GottaSki Mentor

We get whole pineapple and use one of those nifty corer/slicers...mostly because I like large amount of fresh juice this method makes....which we use for marinade or rum drinks :)

MJ-S Contributor

I also buy whole pineapples. It just takes a few minutes to peel and slice it into chunks, which I then store in the fridge for the week. Lots of good YouTube videos on how to open a pineapple. This is basically what I do: Open Original Shared Link

dilettantesteph Collaborator

As maybe the only pineapple grower on the forum, I can see its worth it to save and  buy the whole one and cut it yourself. The nutritional value is considerably more.  PLus if you have a juicer you can put the outer skin, eyes and core threw it and you will have the most unbelievably sweet juice you can  imagine. Yes the skin which is where much of the sugars reside.  with whats left you can  eat, freeze, cook with or make  types of jelly / conserves.  Its also worth it to get Maui gold instead of  costa rican pineapples which are usually sprayed with chemicals now banned in the

What time of year do we get Hawaiian pineapples on the mainland?

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We get whole pineapple and use one of those nifty corer/slicers...mostly because I like large amount of fresh juice this method makes....which we use for marinade or rum drinks :)

Which tool do you use?

IrishHeart Veteran

I have a nifty core/slicer right here....I call him "the hubs". ^_^

We almost always get the whole pineapple at the farmer's market but  the few times i was lazy and got the already cut ones--I thought they

went south rather quickly.  :huh:  The juice is excellent for marinades, I agree...or sometimes, I just drink it plain. Great enzymes for the gut!!. 

interesting historical note in pineapple history:

"The history of Jensen Beach, Florida  in the 19th century revolves around pineapple farming. John Laurence Jensen, an immigrant from Denmark, arrived in 1881, and set up his pineapple plantation, which became the town of Jensen.

By 1894, the Open Original Shared Link reached Jensen Beach, and freight shipments were loaded directly onto the freight cars.

By 1895, Jensen was called the “Pineapple Capital of the World,” shipping over one million boxes of pineapples each year during the June and July seasonOpen Original Shared Link To help deal with the increased Pineapple production, a Pineapple Factory was built.

A hard freeze in 1895 devastated most of the small pineapple plantations. Also, two fires, 1908 and 1910, destroyed most of Jensen Beach and its remaining Pineapple farms. The industry finally collapsed in 1920 due to a wide variety of financial and agriculture problems. Growers decided to turn their efforts in another direction: raising citrus. The pineapple has become a symbol of Jensen Beach. The fruit legacy is celebrated annually during the Jensen Beach Pineapple Festival."

I have a pineapple on my house--as do most of the residents--signaling "welcome". 

And now, AMI, perhaps you know more than you ever wanted to know about pineapples or how we all cut and eat them or how we use the juice.

:lol:  

kenlove Rising Star

you can get them at any time of year  but it depends on the store and if they choose to order them as the cost is more than Cost Rica and Philippines in many locations.  Doug MacCluer is ther president of Maui Gold, a really good no acid one. They ship all the time around the mainland.

What time of year do we get Hawaiian pineapples on the mainland?

kenlove Rising Star

Before it was Hollywood, it was Hollywoodland and the area form Vine to Western and  Franklin to Sunset was a pineapple orchard. There are some great old photos of it in some of the LA history books at the Gene Autry museum.

I have a nifty core/slicer right here....I call him "the hubs". ^_^

We almost always get the whole pineapple at the farmer's market but  the few times i was lazy and got the already cut ones--I thought they

went south rather quickly.  :huh:  The juice is excellent for marinades, I agree...or sometimes, I just drink it plain. Great enzymes for the gut!!. 

interesting historical note in pineapple history:

"The history of Jensen Beach in the 19th century revolves around pineapple farming. John Laurence Jensen, an immigrant from Denmark, arrived in 1881, and set up his pineapple plantation, which became the town of Jensen.

By 1894, the Open Original Shared Link reached Jensen Beach, and freight shipments were loaded directly onto the freight cars.

By 1895, Jensen was called the “Pineapple Capital of the World,” shipping over one million boxes of pineapples each year during the June and July seasonOpen Original Shared Link To help deal with the increased Pineapple production, a Pineapple Factory was built.

A hard freeze in 1895 devastated most of the small pineapple plantations. Also, two fires, 1908 and 1910, destroyed most of Jensen Beach and its remaining Pineapple farms. The industry finally collapsed in 1920 due to a wide variety of financial and agriculture problems. Growers decided to turn their efforts in another direction: raising citrus. The pineapple has become a symbol of Jensen Beach. The fruit legacy is celebrated annually during the Jensen Beach Pineapple Festival."

I have a pineapple on my house--as do most of the residents--signaling "welcome". 

And now, AMI, perhaps you know more than you ever wanted to know about pineapples or how we all cut and eat them or how we use the juice.

:lol:  

kenlove Rising Star

i would look into a juiceman, Breville or Jack Lalane type high speed centrifuge juicer.

Which tool do you use?

IrishHeart Veteran

Before it was Hollywood, it was Hollywoodland and the area form Vine to Western and  Franklin to Sunset was a pineapple orchard. There are some great old photos of it in some of the LA history books at the Gene Autry museum.

That's very cool to know! :) 

kareng Grand Master

you can get them at any time of year  but it depends on the store and if they choose to order them as the cost is more than Cost Rica and Philippines in many locations.  Doug MacCluer is ther president of Maui Gold, a really good no acid one. They ship all the time around the mainland.

Those Maui golds are always good. Never had a disappointing one.

MJ-S Contributor

I've been eating the ones from Whole Foods (from Central America, I'm sure) and they've been great. The OP just wanted a safe way to eat cut pineapple without being glutened. The country of origin of the pineapple is off-topic.

GottaSki Mentor

Which tool do you use?

This is similar to mine:

Open Original Shared Link

Would suggest the metal version, but plastic does work.

LauraTX Rising Star

I've been eating the ones from Whole Foods (from Central America, I'm sure) and they've been great. The OP just wanted a safe way to eat cut pineapple without being glutened. The country of origin of the pineapple is off-topic.

Since the original question was thoroughly answered, and no one is being mean, etc.  I don't see it to be an actionable issue.  Users can also use the quote function to reply clearly to things on previous pages if they desire.

Now I really want pineapple.  Can't handle the acidity very well, though.  I also have a history of cutting myself badly when preparing melons, etc., so I am sure my husband would scream "NOOOOOOOO!!!" if I were to take a knife to a pineapple!  :ph34r:

notme Experienced

hmm.  i wonder what country of origin my grocery sells me.  never really checked or paid attention, but lower/no acid would be better for me, too.  

i also buy whole ones and cut them at the house <ok, *i* don't cut them, but he uses a BIG knife and a cutting board :)  

"maui goooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld ! "

IrishHeart Veteran

And we all gave really good answers!

"off topic" usually means taking the thread elsewhere....like suddenly discussing the weather or the drug cartels running the pineapple & lime trade...

I do not see any harm in the discussion as it unfolded. Actually, I learned a lot and

it was kind of fun to hear from Ken who grows them!!

No harm/no foul...no one was offended and there was no arguing...

so, why the grumbles??. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Since the original question was thoroughly answered, and no one is being mean, etc.  I don't see it to be an actionable issue.  Users can also use the quote function to reply clearly to things on previous pages if they desire.

Now I really want pineapple.  Can't handle the acidity very well, though.  I also have a history of cutting myself badly when preparing melons, etc., so I am sure my husband would scream "NOOOOOOOO!!!" if I were to take a knife to a pineapple!  :ph34r:

which is exactly why I do not cut them...  :D told ya...the hubs is the pineapple guy  ;)

Archived