46 replies to this topic

#1 veryami1

veryami1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Anyone ever asked a grocery store how they cut their freshly cut fruit? Just had a reaction and I don't know to what - but I did have pineapple from the grocery store that was precut and sold in a plastic container. Any chance that could be it?

-Ami

gluten-free since March 8, 2014

Positive for celiac antibodies and EMA

Diagnosed with Celiac on April 8, 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

Early on after diagnosis I used to get a lot of mystery glutenings. I was trying to eat healthier and buying precut fruit often from a small local grocery near me. One day I went into the back room where they process their fruit. They had a huge cutting board they used. It was lunch time and guess where the staff had layed out their meals. Right on that cutting board. I only buy whole fruit there now. 

I feel it is always safest to buy whole fruit and cut it up myself unless I am shopping in a large store where I can see that fruit is cut in a dedicated area. My local Wegmans cuts on a table right in the middle of the produce area but some may cut in the deli area where IMHO risk of CC is high. 

If you are early in the diet keep in mind that reactions can be delayed so it isn't always the last thing that you ate that got you. Some may also simply not tolerate some foods other than gluten. This is often seen early in the diet before we have fully healed. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

I get the pre-cut pineapple sometimes and have never had an issue with it. The larger grocery chains use a machine to core and cut the pineapple. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

I get the pre- cut pineapple, too. Some it it is even cut at the " pineapple factory " before it gets to a store.

The behavior Raven described should never happen. It is against all health codes. Hopefully, she reported that or scared the management into compliance? Lol. :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

If I am having problems with glutenings of unknown source, I try to cut out all the possibilities I can, especially the easier ones.  It seems pretty easy to me to cut up pineapple yourself.  The more possibilities you eliminate, the easier it is to figure out what is causing a problem.  Sometimes it just takes time to heal and how you feel each day has ups and downs.  I hope that you feel better soon.

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

The behavior Raven described should never happen. It is against all health codes. Hopefully, she reported that or scared the management into compliance? Lol. :)

I thought the same thing immediately. That behavior is disgusting, should have been an isolated incident and should have been reported both to management and the health department. Just EWWW!!!

I rarely buy precut fruits and veggies unless they're on sale, but on occasion I will pick them up. Some stores just get the produce in already packaged and cut. One local store in my area has a deli-like area dedicated entirely for produce. They make their own salsas, fruit dips, and cut things up. So, if you'd like to know how your pineapple was handled the only way to know is to ask the store where you got it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

This store is a very small Mom and Pop type operation. I am sure larger stores with break rooms have regs about that type of thing as it is rather unappealing to the customers. This area is a back room where customers don't usually go. There was no produce in the area at the time and they of course wiped down the cutting board afterwards. I am not sure any health codes were being broken. I still find it yucky from a CC standpoint though. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

As maybe the only pineapple grower on the forum, I can see its worth it to save and  buy the whole one and cut it yourself. The nutritional value is considerably more.  PLus if you have a juicer you can put the outer skin, eyes and core threw it and you will have the most unbelievably sweet juice you can  imagine. Yes the skin which is where much of the sugars reside.  with whats left you can  eat, freeze, cook with or make  types of jelly / conserves.  Its also worth it to get Maui gold instead of  costa rican pineapples which are usually sprayed with chemicals now banned in the US.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

As maybe the only pineapple grower on the forum, I can see its worth it to save and buy the whole one and cut it yourself. The nutritional value is considerably more. PLus if you have a juicer you can put the outer skin, eyes and core threw it and you will have the most unbelievably sweet juice you can imagine. Yes the skin which is where much of the sugars reside. with whats left you can eat, freeze, cook with or make types of jelly / conserves. Its also worth it to get Maui gold instead of costa rican pineapples which are usually sprayed with chemicals now banned in the US.

This store is a very small Mom and Pop type operation. I am sure larger stores with break rooms have regs about that type of thing as it is rather unappealing to the customers. This area is a back room where customers don't usually go. There was no produce in the area at the time and they of course wiped down the cutting board afterwards. I am not sure any health codes were being broken. I still find it yucky from a CC standpoint though.

I know a lot of states/ counties health codes do not allow the consumption of food where food is prepared. It isn't up to a store to decide if that should be the rule. That means you can't eat in the food prep area, even if no food is currently being prepped. Do restaurants staff eat in the kitchen at the end of the night? Probably but it would be against most health codes.

Edit - not sure how I quoted Ken? Agh the mysteries of the Internet. Sometimes, Ken, I am just too lazy to cut up my own pineapple. And I agree that Hawaiian pineapples are the best! Interesting about juicing the whole thing. Don't have a juicer, but I am tempted.

Edited by kareng, 06 July 2014 - 01:29 PM.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

We get whole pineapple and use one of those nifty corer/slicers...mostly because I like large amount of fresh juice this method makes....which we use for marinade or rum drinks :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

I also buy whole pineapples. It just takes a few minutes to peel and slice it into chunks, which I then store in the fridge for the week. Lots of good YouTube videos on how to open a pineapple. This is basically what I do: https://www.youtube....h?v=7f-DtONd58g

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#12 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

As maybe the only pineapple grower on the forum, I can see its worth it to save and  buy the whole one and cut it yourself. The nutritional value is considerably more.  PLus if you have a juicer you can put the outer skin, eyes and core threw it and you will have the most unbelievably sweet juice you can  imagine. Yes the skin which is where much of the sugars reside.  with whats left you can  eat, freeze, cook with or make  types of jelly / conserves.  Its also worth it to get Maui gold instead of  costa rican pineapples which are usually sprayed with chemicals now banned in the

What time of year do we get Hawaiian pineapples on the mainland?

#13 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

We get whole pineapple and use one of those nifty corer/slicers...mostly because I like large amount of fresh juice this method makes....which we use for marinade or rum drinks :)

Which tool do you use?

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

I have a nifty core/slicer right here....I call him "the hubs". ^_^

We almost always get the whole pineapple at the farmer's market but  the few times i was lazy and got the already cut ones--I thought they

went south rather quickly.  :huh:  The juice is excellent for marinades, I agree...or sometimes, I just drink it plain. Great enzymes for the gut!!. 

interesting historical note in pineapple history:

"The history of Jensen Beach, Florida  in the 19th century revolves around pineapple farming. John Laurence Jensen, an immigrant from Denmark, arrived in 1881, and set up his pineapple plantation, which became the town of Jensen.

By 1894, the Florida East Coast Railway reached Jensen Beach, and freight shipments were loaded directly onto the freight cars.

By 1895, Jensen was called the “Pineapple Capital of the World,” shipping over one million boxes of pineapples each year during the June and July season[3] To help deal with the increased Pineapple production, a Pineapple Factory was built.

A hard freeze in 1895 devastated most of the small pineapple plantations. Also, two fires, 1908 and 1910, destroyed most of Jensen Beach and its remaining Pineapple farms. The industry finally collapsed in 1920 due to a wide variety of financial and agriculture problems. Growers decided to turn their efforts in another direction: raising citrus. The pineapple has become a symbol of Jensen Beach. The fruit legacy is celebrated annually during the Jensen Beach Pineapple Festival."

I have a pineapple on my house--as do most of the residents--signaling "welcome". 

And now, AMI, perhaps you know more than you ever wanted to know about pineapples or how we all cut and eat them or how we use the juice.

:lol:  

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

you can get them at any time of year  but it depends on the store and if they choose to order them as the cost is more than Cost Rica and Philippines in many locations.  Doug MacCluer is ther president of Maui Gold, a really good no acid one. They ship all the time around the mainland.

What time of year do we get Hawaiian pineapples on the mainland?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: