46 replies to this topic

#16 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Before it was Hollywood, it was Hollywoodland and the area form Vine to Western and  Franklin to Sunset was a pineapple orchard. There are some great old photos of it in some of the LA history books at the Gene Autry museum.

I have a nifty core/slicer right here....I call him "the hubs". ^_^

We almost always get the whole pineapple at the farmer's market but  the few times i was lazy and got the already cut ones--I thought they

went south rather quickly.  :huh:  The juice is excellent for marinades, I agree...or sometimes, I just drink it plain. Great enzymes for the gut!!. 

interesting historical note in pineapple history:

"The history of Jensen Beach in the 19th century revolves around pineapple farming. John Laurence Jensen, an immigrant from Denmark, arrived in 1881, and set up his pineapple plantation, which became the town of Jensen.

By 1894, the Florida East Coast Railway reached Jensen Beach, and freight shipments were loaded directly onto the freight cars.

By 1895, Jensen was called the “Pineapple Capital of the World,” shipping over one million boxes of pineapples each year during the June and July season[3] To help deal with the increased Pineapple production, a Pineapple Factory was built.

A hard freeze in 1895 devastated most of the small pineapple plantations. Also, two fires, 1908 and 1910, destroyed most of Jensen Beach and its remaining Pineapple farms. The industry finally collapsed in 1920 due to a wide variety of financial and agriculture problems. Growers decided to turn their efforts in another direction: raising citrus. The pineapple has become a symbol of Jensen Beach. The fruit legacy is celebrated annually during the Jensen Beach Pineapple Festival."

I have a pineapple on my house--as do most of the residents--signaling "welcome". 

And now, AMI, perhaps you know more than you ever wanted to know about pineapples or how we all cut and eat them or how we use the juice.

:lol:  

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

i would look into a juiceman, Breville or Jack Lalane type high speed centrifuge juicer.

Which tool do you use?

Japanese proverb

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Before it was Hollywood, it was Hollywoodland and the area form Vine to Western and  Franklin to Sunset was a pineapple orchard. There are some great old photos of it in some of the LA history books at the Gene Autry museum.

That's very cool to know! :) 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

you can get them at any time of year  but it depends on the store and if they choose to order them as the cost is more than Cost Rica and Philippines in many locations.  Doug MacCluer is ther president of Maui Gold, a really good no acid one. They ship all the time around the mainland.

Those Maui golds are always good. Never had a disappointing one.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I've been eating the ones from Whole Foods (from Central America, I'm sure) and they've been great. The OP just wanted a safe way to eat cut pineapple without being glutened. The country of origin of the pineapple is off-topic.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#21 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Which tool do you use?

This is similar to mine:

http://www.crateandb.../s215732?a=1552

Would suggest the metal version, but plastic does work.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#22 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I've been eating the ones from Whole Foods (from Central America, I'm sure) and they've been great. The OP just wanted a safe way to eat cut pineapple without being glutened. The country of origin of the pineapple is off-topic.

Since the original question was thoroughly answered, and no one is being mean, etc.  I don't see it to be an actionable issue.  Users can also use the quote function to reply clearly to things on previous pages if they desire.

Now I really want pineapple.  Can't handle the acidity very well, though.  I also have a history of cutting myself badly when preparing melons, etc., so I am sure my husband would scream "NOOOOOOOO!!!" if I were to take a knife to a pineapple!  :ph34r:

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#23 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

you can get them at any time of year  but it depends on the store and if they choose to order them as the cost is more than Cost Rica and Philippines in many locations.  Doug MacCluer is ther president of Maui Gold, a really good no acid one. They ship all the time around the mainland.

hmm.  i wonder what country of origin my grocery sells me.  never really checked or paid attention, but lower/no acid would be better for me, too.  

i also buy whole ones and cut them at the house <ok, *i* don't cut them, but he uses a BIG knife and a cutting board :)  

"maui goooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld ! "

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

And we all gave really good answers!

"off topic" usually means taking the thread elsewhere....like suddenly discussing the weather or the drug cartels running the pineapple & lime trade...

I do not see any harm in the discussion as it unfolded. Actually, I learned a lot and

it was kind of fun to hear from Ken who grows them!!

No harm/no foul...no one was offended and there was no arguing...

so, why the grumbles??. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Since the original question was thoroughly answered, and no one is being mean, etc.  I don't see it to be an actionable issue.  Users can also use the quote function to reply clearly to things on previous pages if they desire.

Now I really want pineapple.  Can't handle the acidity very well, though.  I also have a history of cutting myself badly when preparing melons, etc., so I am sure my husband would scream "NOOOOOOOO!!!" if I were to take a knife to a pineapple!  :ph34r:

which is exactly why I do not cut them...  :D told ya...the hubs is the pineapple guy  ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

there is a new one grown by Frankie Sekiya called mele kalima or Honey gold with zero acid. Best pineapple ever but not being shipped yet.

Those Maui golds are always good. Never had a disappointing one.

Japanese proverb

#27 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, I've been looking for them for a few months and they haven't had them yet locally.

#28 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

check the local  wholefoods-- they can buy nationally from Maui Gold. 

Thanks, I've been looking for them for a few months and they haven't had them yet locally.

Japanese proverb

#29 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

Thanks Ken...I found this conversation very interesting...and am looking forward to that new 'Frankie S' pineapple winging it's way to California one day soon :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#30 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

check the local  wholefoods-- they can buy nationally from Maui Gold. 

We don't have any.  Trader Joe's?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: