46 replies to this topic

#31 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

dont know if trader joes has them or not but you can also get online  http://www.mauipineapple.com/

We don't have any.  Trader Joe's?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

it is really good  but there is another  one that is white on the inside called sugarloaf. Thats also amazing.  Maybe its best to just visit hawaii!

Thanks Ken...I found this conversation very interesting...and am looking forward to that new 'Frankie S' pineapple winging it's way to California one day soon :)

Japanese proverb

#33 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

it is really good  but there is another  one that is white on the inside called sugarloaf. Thats also amazing.  Maybe its best to just visit hawaii!

hey, everyone....hear that............We're all going to Ken's house for pineapple!! :D whoohooo! 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#34 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

Why didn't I think of that...on my way ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#35 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

dont know if trader joes has them or not but you can also get online  http://www.mauipineapple.com/

Thank you

#36 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

that would be fine -- except im on the road till aug. 10!

last year I took a group to the Maui Gold fields about 10 minutes from Maui  airport. - you could eat as many ripe pineappes as you wanted  right out of the field!  Im still full!

Japanese proverb

#37 Stormy one

Stormy one

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

We love fresh pineapple but I hate the mess associated with cutting a ripe and juicy one and now use slicer/ corer. I love it... you can do it in under a min with almost no mess and its perfect every time. Here is a link o the one I have (I opted for the stainless steel one ($20) but there is another brand that is plastic ($10) at BBB) http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000GA53CO

#38 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

I was following this topic when it started, since I have been wondering about the handling of store cut produce.

Out of curiousity I called Meijer, which is a major super store chain in my area, and found out that they cut the produce on site at each store (not the distribution center) and they have a designated area in the produce department where there are no gluten containing products and it is not near the bakery (no flour dust in the air).

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is when I asked if they wash the produce before cutting it, she said they do wash the berries, but most of the other produce like melons and pineapple are just cut up without washing the exterior first. That's not something I feel comfortable eating myself, I wash all my produce before eating or slicing it, but my husband has a strong digestive system and couldn't care less about that and loves to eat the store bought pineapple, etc.

Kenlove - Thanks for the pineapple suggestions. My hubs is crazy for pineapple, so I just ordered him some Sugarloaf pineapple for a special birthday treat. It should be here on Wednesday and I can't wait to try it. The Maui Gold site says they carry it at Costco, so I'm hoping to find that locally to try too.
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

#39 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

HavaneseMom, when you eat melons or pineapples, do you eat the exterior? I think most people don't. If it is a part you cut off and discard, I would not be concerned if it had not been washed.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#40 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

I was following this topic when it started, since I have been wondering about the handling of store cut produce.

Out of curiousity I called Meijer, which is a major super store chain in my area, and found out that they cut the produce on site at each store (not the distribution center) and they have a designated area in the produce department where there are no gluten containing products and it is not near the bakery (no flour dust in the air).

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is when I asked if they wash the produce before cutting it, she said they do wash the berries, but most of the other produce like melons and pineapple are just cut up without washing the exterior first. That's not something I feel comfortable eating myself, I wash all my produce before eating or slicing it, but my husband has a strong digestive system and couldn't care less about that and loves to eat the store bought pineapple, etc.

Kenlove - Thanks for the pineapple suggestions. My hubs is crazy for pineapple, so I just ordered him some Sugarloaf pineapple for a special birthday treat. It should be here on Wednesday and I can't wait to try it. The Maui Gold site says they carry it at Costco, so I'm hoping to find that locally to try too.

HavaneseMom, when you eat melons or pineapples, do you eat the exterior? I think most people don't. If it is a part you cut off and discard, I would not be concerned if it had not been washed.

You actually do need to wash the outside of melons.  When you slice a melon, the knife passes material from the skin area onto the cut surface, which goes into your mouth. 

http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=6104414

http://healthycanadi...e/melon-eng.php

http://www.watermelo...melonSaftey.pdf

Havanesemom, I would send some info back to corporate asking them to change their practices.  Gross.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#41 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

Sugarloaf is amazing  -- there is another  one just starting out called mele kalima which is even  sweeter with  zero acid.

now its only on oahu but they just planted 40 acres of it.

Japanese proverb

#42 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

You actually do need to wash the outside of melons.  When you slice a melon, the knife passes material from the skin area onto the cut surface, which goes into your mouth. 

http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=6104414

http://healthycanadi...e/melon-eng.php

http://www.watermelo...melonSaftey.pdf

Havanesemom, I would send some info back to corporate asking them to change their practices.  Gross.

I happen to agree with Peter on this one.  But I think the worry has nothing to do with gluten.  That stretches into the realm of unreasonable worry.  I do not wash produce because I am paranoid that it has gluten smeared all over the surface but because of bacteria and germs. There are people out there who I wouldn't let touch the door handle on my car, let alone the food I eat.  Many people have handled melons on their route to the food store and it makes sense to wash them before cutting from a germy viewpoint only. But if you think you can take a gluten hit from unwashed melons.........put the order in for the plastic bubble soon!  ^_^

#43 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

I happen to agree with Peter on this one.  But I think the worry has nothing to do with gluten.  That stretches into the realm of unreasonable worry.  I do not wash produce because I am paranoid that it has gluten smeared all over the surface but because of bacteria and germs. There are people out there who I wouldn't let touch the door handle on my car, let alone the food I eat.  Many people have handled melons on their route to the food store and it makes sense to wash them before cutting from a germy viewpoint only. But if you think you can take a gluten hit from unwashed melons.........put the order in for the plastic bubble soon!  ^_^

Just to clarify, I was talking about germs, not gluten- I didn't mention that anywhere in my post.  The links I provided give information on proper washing of produce to prevent transmission of pathogens.  All produce should be washed before preparation or consumption.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#44 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

I see I should have expanded on the reason why I wash my produce before eating or slicing it.

It is due to bacteria and dirt like LauraTX mentioned, and added links with info about, not gluten. I forgot that I need to be more specific about these things on this forum, since most topics are gluten related and it could easily be assumed I was talking about gluten.

Bacteria can cause digestive issues and illness as well, so that is why I choose to wash my produce. I understand that everyone doesn't feel it's necessary, but I feel it's necessary for myself.

kenlove - Sugarloaf pineapple arrived and it is amazing!!! It's nothing like the pineapple we usually buy around here. It is so good! I'm going to juice the skin like you suggested too. These babies were pricey, so I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of them :-) .Well worth it for a special occasion.
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

#45 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

I find it interesting that on JULY 5, Ami asked a simple question:

Anyone ever asked a grocery store how they cut their freshly cut fruit? Just had a reaction and I don't know to what - but I did have pineapple from the grocery store that was precut and sold in a plastic container. Any chance that could be it?

Some of us gave simple answers in response. My opinion (for what that is still worth around here after all this time is....)  "probably not, hon. Maybe something else caused your discomfort."

It's pineapple. It's gluten free. I eat it. 

Some gave elaborate "what ifs" and other various scenarios...because, well, we may be construed as a "helpful bunch" with lots of stories to tell. LOL

And it's now JULY 31, and I kept watching this thread --purely out of curiosity just for this one sole 

purpose....to see if the OP ever comes back to say anything.

She has not returned to utter a peep.  And as happens often, by now,  she's probably thinking "I'm fine now, it was just  a bit of gastritis... and I'm sorry I asked". 

Just wanted to share my observations.  ^_^

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: