This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mood Swings?

kaayrah

kaayrah Newbie

Hi all.

First I wanted to say Thank you to everyone on my first post with how supportive and welcoming everyone was! Made things a bit easier.

But now new question... I have been having ridiculous mood swings going gluten free (was diagnosed in May) to the point of crying for no reason then been super happy. Has anyone else gone through this after going gluten-free? I am really struggling with day to day tasks and being around people. Th's feeling of being an inconvenience to everyone has been difficult. I do have an amazingly supportive friend group but I still feel like it's an annoyance to them. Not only that but it's taking a toll on my relationship with stress that didn't used to be there even though my boyfriend has been super supportive and even researched a ton to understand the diagnosis and what I am going through physically.. I really don't know where to turn to deal with how much my mood swings are affecting my everyday life. Oh and on top of that the ever present brain fog has taken a wicked toll on me as well. Any suggestions on what to do to help settle this all out?

I apologize if I am venting on a topic that has been discussed before I'm just feeling super lost on this one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brooklyngal Rookie

Hi all.

First I wanted to say Thank you to everyone on my first post with how supportive and welcoming everyone was! Made things a bit easier.

But now new question... I have been having ridiculous mood swings going gluten free (was diagnosed in May) to the point of crying for no reason then been super happy. Has anyone else gone through this after going gluten-free? I am really struggling with day to day tasks and being around people. Th's feeling of being an inconvenience to everyone has been difficult. I do have an amazingly supportive friend group but I still feel like it's an annoyance to them. Not only that but it's taking a toll on my relationship with stress that didn't used to be there even though my boyfriend has been super supportive and even researched a ton to understand the diagnosis and what I am going through physically.. I really don't know where to turn to deal with how much my mood swings are affecting my everyday life. Oh and on top of that the ever present brain fog has taken a wicked toll on me as well. Any suggestions on what to do to help settle this all out?

I apologize if I am venting on a topic that has been discussed before I'm just feeling super lost on this one.

Hi kaayrah,

Two things I've had trouble with that might affect mood are: secret sources of gluten, and vitamin deficiencies. 

As far as the secret glutening, it sucks but you really have to double-check everything you eat. There are lots of packaged and frozen foods that say "GLUTEN FREE" in big letters right on the front, and then "May contain wheat" in the fine print on the back. And I've been glutened more than once by restaurants that claim a dish is "gluten free," usually by cross-contamination – although once I was straight-up given regular bread instead of gluten-free bread! I've also been glutened by mouthwash and lip balm. If you're not sure about something, you can search the forums here or call the manufacturer.

You also may not be getting enough vitamins, both because of the damage done before you were diagnosed, and because lots of gluten-free foods aren't enriched. A daily multivitamin might help. You should also get your vitamin levels checked by your doctor.

And adjusting to a gluten-free social life is difficult. It helps to always have simple snacks on hand (string cheese, fruit, even potato chips) and ask people to do things that aren't food-focused.

Hope some of this is helpful!

LauraTX Rising Star

Hi Kaayrah.  One thing to point out is that not everything is caused by the consumption of gluten.  Just the stress of having a diagnosis of an odd disease that others don't understand and affects every facet of your life can trigger depressed symptoms and such. I highly recommend going to talk to someone like a therapist.  Even if it is for a short period, it can be great help to get through hard times.

kaayrah Newbie

Thanks for the responses!

I have been trying to be super careful grocery shopping with reading labels and trying to buy mostly fruits and veggies rather than pre packed food. The only major slip I've had myself was buying gelato that said gluten free but on further reading the label it said it was made in a facility that processed wheat and barely products as well (lucky for my boyfriend who got to eat both containers because I didn't want to risk a reaction). I have been calling manufacturers on a regular basis while out shopping. Which has helped a lot in making choices.

I didn't even think of the vitamin thing. My Dr is on holidays right now but I do have an appointment with him on the 22nd so I will have to ask about that for sure.

As for talking to a therapist I have been looking for one here that isn't a 3+ month wait to get into. I had an amazing lady I used to see when I lived in Edmonton AB but now live in a smaller town in Saskatchewan and there is a major shortage of available therapists etc. I am really lucky that my boyfriend has been researching everything he can about the disease (almost more than I have been) and is really supportive in making sure there are options for me to have when we are at a friends or going on road trips.

The restaurant one is the most frustrating as very few people seem to understand it needs to be treated the same as a peanut or seafood allergy not just the "fad diet". I have had amazing experiences at Moxie's Grill thought with management taking the time to come double check if it is for celiac's or just preference. The server brought me my salad with crutons and dressing that was definitely not safe even though I specified it needed to be gluten-free. Less than a minute after it got sent back to the kitchen the manager came out and apologized (turns out he is a celiac as well) and made sure my meal was covered and he apparently went back and made my salad himself to ensure it was safe. It was probably the most "normal" at a restaurant I have felt even though it was special treatment.

I guess I am struggling more with adjusting to this than I thought I was and it all hit me at once. I really am grateful for places like this that I know there are others who are able to give advice and not feel like I'm the odd one out.

Thanks again! :)

Archived