This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pancakes& Waffles?

Andykat39

Andykat39 Newbie

Hi, i'm new to this celiac board and have been trying to make pancakes gluten free and so far they are not turning out as i hoped.

The always turn out like gooey like, but not at the same time. They are sorta like oatmeal would be if you fried it after you cooked it

on the stove for eating as a hot ceral. they seem to be fully cooked and taste good but they are very wet like, is there a way to change

this or a flour that works better for this purpouse? any recopes idea's or experince's that are like i have been having welcome. I have made

bread and it turned out great and delicous, unlike the tapioca flour bread i bought at walmart which was dry and tasteless and was like

eating bread that got lefft out and partialy dried before eating very very dry. please help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome, Andy!

What flour/mix are you using right now?  If you frequently shop at Walmart, check out gluten-free Bisquick.  I like the pancake recipe, very basic and good.  It is also good for making cookies and breading fried stuff.  The other two things I always keep in my pantry are King Arthur Flour(KAF) gluten-free Baking mix, and Pamelas gluten-free Baking and Pancake mix.  The pamelas makes great pancakes, but their recipe makes them very thin, so I cut out at least a quarter of the liquid (I like thicker, puffier pancakes).  The KAF mix basically can be treated as self rising flour(replaces flour, leavener, and salt) in any gluteny recipe, except bread since that needs special treatment.  It also makes good pancakes.  If you sub it in to a recipe that calls for regular gluten flour, measure it scantly as it is a little more dense.    All three of these mixes have a lot of recipes for them on the company website and I like that a lot.

Making your own bread is definitely going to give you the most satisfaction, especially when you just transitioned.  The tapioca loaves are horrible, and I don't know why those are even still sold!  LOL.  The Schar shelf stable breads are pretty good, and most people seem to buy frozen breads for sandwiches and such.  There are a lot of brands that are good.

Andykat39 Newbie

thank you for your reply, i got the bisquick mix as i already was buying it for pancakes before. I always add a little sugar, sometimes a little vannilla, a litttle oil and eggs so i followed the recipe on the box and added the sugar and eggs and a little oil they turned out REALLY good almost couldn't tell the differ3ence. I used the recipe for bread that was posted for sandwich bread another poster makes only i forgot to buy white rice flour so i used oat flour instead of the rice and added a med. hanful of coconut flours and more sugar then they had listed so it would have a little more flavor and it turned out so yummy, it was easier then regular as you don't knead it just beat and pour a little diffrent texture then gluten breads but it was so dang good. Again thank you for the advice and support.

LauraTX Rising Star

That is the plus side to gluten-free bread baking... just mix it and throw it in the pan!

StephanieL Enthusiast

We use  Cherrybrook Kitchens mix!

• 2 weeks later...
CK1901 Explorer

I agree, Bisquick makes really good gluten free pancake mix. If you want something healthier, I also like Hodgson Mills gluten-free pancake/waffle mix with flax. It's not as light and fluffy, but it has more protein and it's still yummy. 

SMRI Collaborator

I haven't tried it yet but I saw Krusteaz has a gluten-free pancake/waffle mix now too.  I like their gluten formula so I'm hoping these are good as well!  I bought some yesterday.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I make coconut flax pancakes.  They are heavy but good.

1/4c melted coconut oil

2 scoops protein powder (Vega)

1 tsp vanilla

dash salt

Tbsp cinnamon

1 1/2 - 2c coconut milk and /or water

1/2 tsp baking powder

1tsp bee pollen (optional)

1/4 c hemp seeds

1/2-3/4c ground flax

8 eggs

1/2 c coconut flour

I add ingredients in the order listed.  The coconut flour can REALLY suck up the liquid so if it gets too thick as it sits, add more water.  You'll need to spread the pancake batter a bit, it will mostly spread on its own.  I cook it in bacon grease. I freeze the extras and reheat them the next day or too.

The protein powder is sweetened with stevia. If I did not have that I would add stevia and cocoa, and possibly use a bit less liquid.

They'd be perfectly healthy if it wasn't for the syrup my boys pour on.  LOL

Archived