#1 GlutenNoob

GlutenNoob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Good evening everybody! 

As I said in a previous post, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and my doctor said that a gluten-free diet is imperative. I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 9 years ago, so pre-gluten diagnosis, I often got sick from various foods I ate. However, I've noticed that since going gluten-free, I actually am getting MORE sick than I was before when I ate certain foods. Did any of you have that experience after going gluten-free? My best guess is that now that I've been eating gluten-free for a few weeks, my body is even more sensitive to gluten than before which means it definitely was a gluten allergy after all. I just find it odd that pre-diagnosis, I would get sick a lot after eating certain foods. And post-diagnosis, since eating gluten-free, if I eat something wrong or that contains gluten, it goes through me almost immediately and I get even more sick than I used to. Just looking for some more reassurance because it's been one heck of a ride - physically and especially emotionally. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beth01

beth01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I have noticed since my diagnosis ( three months ago today) that is seems like every food bothers me at some point in time.  I can eat corn today and feel fine but I eat corn tomorrow and get sick.  Right now our bellies are so sore and inflamed from all the gluten damage, it's going to take time.  I was all worried that I have a ton of food intolerances but I just need to let my guts heal and go from there.

I try to limit the variety of foods I eat in a day.  I limit my meals to three ingredients( not counting seasonings), this has helped me a lot.  I also noticed that if I eat 5 smaller meals rather than three regular meals, my belly is a lot happier.  I try not to eat too much of one thing either, I have noticed that a lot of sugar can bother me ( gluteny symptoms ) or a lot of foods that are harder to digest.  I am also trying to stay away from processed foods, condiments are pretty much all I eat that is processed right now.  It is really hard to find a balance but the only way for me to learn right now is the hard way, so if I find a balance that works, I stick to it.  I have noticed that some things are bothering me and I don't need an elimination diet to figure it out.  Garlic hates me!  I really hope I can get that one back later, I really love garlic.  I can't eat too much soy in a day either so I really watch what it's in. A little is ok, a lot is not.

I think we just notice more now how crappy food makes us feel because we know that is our problem.  I was eating only Ramen noodles before my diagnosis, I thought they were the only thing I could eat without projectile puking.  Lol, how dumb was I?

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#3 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Are you combining the Chron's Diet and the gluten-free diet.  Stick to Whole foods, no processed items.  Start taking a good probiotic.  You may feel more severe symptoms if your getting gluten.  Some times the symptoms will evolve to different symptoms.

Have you read the Newbie 101 thread under the Coping Section.  It is a must to get a handle on this diet.  Be sure to read all the links too.

Good Luck

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Daisy1010

Daisy1010

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

I have noticed since my diagnosis ( three months ago today) that is seems like every food bothers me at some point in time.  I can eat corn today and feel fine but I eat corn tomorrow and get sick.  Right now our bellies are so sore and inflamed from all the gluten damage, it's going to take time.  I was all worried that I have a ton of food intolerances but I just need to let my guts heal and go from there.

I try to limit the variety of foods I eat in a day.  I limit my meals to three ingredients( not counting seasonings), this has helped me a lot.  I also noticed that if I eat 5 smaller meals rather than three regular meals, my belly is a lot happier.  I try not to eat too much of one thing either, I have noticed that a lot of sugar can bother me ( gluteny symptoms ) or a lot of foods that are harder to digest.  I am also trying to stay away from processed foods, condiments are pretty much all I eat that is processed right now.  It is really hard to find a balance but the only way for me to learn right now is the hard way, so if I find a balance that works, I stick to it.  I have noticed that some things are bothering me and I don't need an elimination diet to figure it out.  Garlic hates me!  I really hope I can get that one back later, I really love garlic.  I can't eat too much soy in a day either so I really watch what it's in. A little is ok, a lot is not.

I think we just notice more now how crappy food makes us feel because we know that is our problem.  I was eating only Ramen noodles before my diagnosis, I thought they were the only thing I could eat without projectile puking.  Lol, how dumb was I?

My husband has had similar problems, and we keep cutting out foods, but he still has digestive issues with almost any grain, rice, bean, oat etc. I found this site today, and she has been to Columbia University where new research is coming out about this, she lists the supplements she is taking to heal her gut, not just stay away from problem foods. I am going to try my husband one of these at a time and see if we have good results. This is a journey, we are gluten free, dairy, soy, nut, and most oil free as well right now. Good luck and don't lose hope, there are many out there that are on this journey. You just have to find what you are sensitive to, and find supplements that might help you heal!  http://www.theceliac...and-still-sick/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: