Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Store Employee Telling Me I Don't Have Celiac?

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#1 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

So I didn't realize that mega store employees had doctorate degrees. Today I went to do some shopping, and I now refuse to shop at a mega store whose name I will not mention (but I will say they have a building structure in their name) after getting told I don't have celiac cuz I just tested positive for it a month and a half ago by an employee when I asked about a new "gluten free" store brand product. I left my cart with about $300 worth of food and non-food items in the middle of the aisle and went to Kroger.

But on the bright side, on the way to Kroger, I passed a building that has been getting renovated for months now and saw a sign up that simply said "Aldi's"! A new contender should bring a nicer selection of items and maybe some better prices! Then at Kroger, I went to customer service to ask about Reiga which Adalaide had mentioned on here. (Speaking of which, what part of the store do you find it in, and what does the package look like?) Well, they have no way to look up if they carry it on the computer, but this employee that was getting ready to clock out did walk around the store with me to where it might be (like 4 different places) and then said she was going to forward a request to the manager to see about carrying it. That is what I call customer service!

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! πŸ˜πŸ˜€πŸ˜œπŸ˜›πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜·πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‡πŸ˜

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Wow, seriously??!! 

I would not only take my business elsewhere, but I would also file a written complaint with the store. Their employee stepped way out of line. 

Last I checked, there was no law saying that you had to have documented celiac to buy gluten free food anyway.  :rolleyes: It's not like the employees have to check your medical records before they show you where the gluten free food is. ROFL!!

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#3 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Trust me when I say the complaint will not stop at the store level. What really got me was I didn't say anything about celiac, the employee brought that up. Her exact words were "you don't look sick, so don't be acting like you have celiac or something".

Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

I wouldn't even have discussed it with a Walmart employee. They barely make minimum wage.

Edit: we posted at the same time.

That's just rude! I hope you have her name and report that.

Edited by kareng, 06 July 2014 - 06:45 PM.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

β€œThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

β€œOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Trust me when I say the complaint will not stop at the store level. What really got me was I didn't say anything about celiac, the employee brought that up. Her exact words were "you don't look sick, so don't be acting like you have celiac or something".

Wow, that is just ridiculous! That is like saying that a person with a peanut allergy is healthy and doesn't look sick, so therefore they can go eat peanuts. It makes no sense!

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#6 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Karen, the only thing I asked was "I've heard y'all have a store brand section of gluten free products now, where is it at?" That was to be the extent of my discussion with the employee.

#7 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

I'm seriously tempted to look up the discrimination laws and see what they say about things like this. I'm not the type of person to sue over stupid stuff, but that was just plain rude and discriminatory to me. I was seriously livid when I left, you coulda cooked a steak extra well done on my head in a couple minutes.

#8 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

So, the employee didn't know your medical history, didn't know your testing history, didn't know your symptom history and they blurted out that line? WOW!

Sure, I look healthy. You can't tell by looking at me that I spent an evening in the ER with neurological problems due to gluten. 

I mean, the fact is, being sick or not is no proof of celiac. People who have been diagnosed with celiac as babies or toddlers and therefore have been on a gluten free diet nearly their whole life are usually quite healthy, since their parents caught it early and treated it.

I can't believe that a person would have the nerve to make a statement like that. :(

~Ruth

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Karen, the only thing I asked was "I've heard y'all have a store brand section of gluten free products now, where is it at?" That was to be the extent of my discussion with the employee.

I think we posted together. How would the employee know you weren't buying for someone else? My BIL is more than healthy looking but has a wheat allergy. I am more than healthy looking, too. I would complain.

I have people ask if a product is good. I have had some ask some questions because of their own or families health issues. But I haven't had any say stuff like that!

As for discrimination- They didn't refuse to sell to you or limit your access because of your " disability", race, religion, sex, etc. but a complaint to corporate is a good idea.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

β€œThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

β€œOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yeah. I asked what they meant by I look healthy so I don't have celiac, and was told they remember me a few months ago buying all kinds of bread and macaroni and stuff (which is true, and I'm sure they remembered it cuz I made a big deal about several things not ringing up the price on the shelf). In response I said "do since I didn't get diagnosed til recently I don't have celiac, huh?" And was informed that if I had celiac I would have had it since birth.

#11 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

^Yeah, exactly Kareng.

I remember one of my celiac support group leaders who didn't have celiac--but her husband did and therefore she was heavily involved in cooking for him, etc.

~Ruth

#12 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yeah. I asked what they meant by I look healthy so I don't have celiac, and was told they remember me a few months ago buying all kinds of bread and macaroni and stuff (which is true, and I'm sure they remembered it cuz I made a big deal about several things not ringing up the price on the shelf). In response I said "do since I didn't get diagnosed til recently I don't have celiac, huh?" And was informed that if I had celiac I would have had it since birth.

That's just plain ignorance speaking. If they knew anything about celiac, they would know that you can have the genes for it and have it activated later in life by a traumatic event (illness, surgery, pregnancy, etc.)

~Ruth

#13 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

As for discrimination- They didn't refuse to sell to you or limit your access because of your " disability", race, religion, sex, etc. but a complaint to corporate is a good idea.

That's what I thought, but I may still look up the code and reference it to make it a bigger deal and make them realize it's not a joke or a game. Maybe if they think a lawyer is involved I might actually get a reply "explaining" the behavior.

#14 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Plus, technically speaking, their employees shouldn't be giving out medical advice, right?

Imagine if someone was newly diagnosed and was ignorant of some of the basic facts of celiac and thought, "Oh, I must not have it then," and went home and started eating gluten and got seriously ill or hospitalized.

~Ruth

#15 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

That's just plain ignorance speaking. If they knew anything about celiac, they would know that you can have the genes for it and have it activated later in life by a traumatic event (illness, surgery, pregnancy, etc.)

Maybe I should include a stack of information from the University of Chicago's website. Let them do some reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: