Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Store Employee Telling Me I Don't Have Celiac?

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#16 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

Plus, technically speaking, their employees shouldn't be giving out medical advice, right?

Imagine if someone was newly diagnosed and was ignorant of some of the basic facts of celiac and thought, "Oh, I must not have it then," and went home and started eating gluten and got seriously ill or hospitalized.

Technically speaking, yes. However I would hope nobody would take the word of a store employee over their doctor and go pig out on gluten. However, it does make me wonder if that employee would tell someone "as long as you don't eat too much gluten you'll be fine" which I could see a newbie believing.

**note to any newbies reading this: you can NOT eat gluten. Treatment for celiac is a strict gluten FREE diet**

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! πŸ˜πŸ˜€πŸ˜œπŸ˜›πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜·πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‡πŸ˜

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Technically speaking, yes. However I would hope nobody would take the word of a store employee over their doctor and go pig out on gluten. However, it does make me wonder if that employee would tell someone "as long as you don't eat too much gluten you'll be fine" which I could see a newbie believing.
**note to any newbies reading this: you can NOT eat gluten. Treatment for celiac is a strict gluten FREE diet**

Note to Newbies - don't take medical/gluten advice from someone who didn't graduate from high school and makes minimum wage for 31 hours a week and thinks that is great.

My point being - they aren't a doctor, nurse, chef, or even a Whole Foods vitamin department employee. What she said was rude and stupid,.... That's it. Email the company but you really can't expect much from a Walmart employee.

I know many Walmart employees work hard, go to school, etc. But, with the exception of pharmacists, they aren't there to give medical advice. Heck, the TV/ electronics employees have no special knowledge unless they just happen to be into that stuff.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

β€œThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

β€œOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#18 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Wow....just wow! I'm stunned that someone would say that to you!

#19 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Karen, while that is true for most employees there, it is not true for all of them. I do know someone who works at a different location who only works there because it buys her baby's diapers/food/etc andshows she's not a bum, which helps her get scholarships and grants to finish her pre-med (which will be done in December). But yes, I know she is the exception to the rule.

Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests

#20 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

My husband works at Walmart and he even makes fun of a significant portion of the employees there. He says few are like him, people who show up, work hard and feel some sense of responsibility.

If it were me, I would certainly report the employee both to the store manager and to corporate. That is the sort of thing that shouldn't just be let go.

Also, this link shows a picture of the Riega cheese packets. I used to get them in the gluten-free section of the store, now they moved them to where the mac & cheese is. If you can't find them in a store, maybe you can find them online? Not sure. Hope you can find them! Or at least request them. http://www.testedglu...-date-lot-code/

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#21 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

What a giant A-hole that lady was.  Definitely go up the corporate ladder with your complaint.  Ask them to do training on not giving medical advice and sensitivity towards people with disabilities and food allergies.  However, when you have a low wage employee who is treated like crud by their corporate employer, you are going to get people who act like that.  

Good thing an Aldi is opening up by you soon!  A lot of their stuff is labeled well, and their gluten-free line of products is going to be coming back soon as a permanent addition.  You just have to get used to bagging your own stuff, hehe.  But great for budget shopping.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:00 AM

I have a nice little letter typed up, now I just have to go to the library and print it since my printer broke.
Adalaide, thank you for the picture of it! Now at least when I'm looking for it I know more than the name. I completely agree with you though that there are a few ppl who work there that actually have some integrity, they're just about as rare as a 4 leaf clover. πŸ€
Laura, I am definitely excited about the Aldi! I should probably email their corporate and ask when they are opening.

#23 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

Is it possible that he just meant that you look healthy?  Couldn't that be taken as a complement?  I don't think that Walmart pays their employees enough to monitor what they say.

#24 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I am sure the employee could have meant it that way, Steph.  But as someone with a lot of "hidden" diseases I cannot tell you how old that gets.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Trust me when I say the complaint will not stop at the store level. What really got me was I didn't say anything about celiac, the employee brought that up. Her exact words were "you don't look sick, so don't be acting like you have celiac or something".

Nothing about this employees statement could be taken as a compliment. It is insulting and rude. You can refer to my signature to see approximately how I would respond.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#26 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

You can refer to my signature to see approximately how I would respond.

I love the signature! I could have used that!

#27 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Yep...the old "you look healthy" comment makes my skin itch...trust me...I'd rather look sick and be healthy than rise from the crap I've been through and be told...at least you look good...ugh :(

Corporate complaint is in order...my advice is always inform corporations of these and other similar issues...how else would mgmt ever know this idiot is spouting such nonsense?

Added bonus...companies generally send an apology in similar manner as the complaint...as in when I have emailed I received email back and when I snail mailed a letter, I got one in return...most times with a gift card or certificate....I didn't always want to return to these places, but always found friend or family member to give them to :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#28 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=J0RTD7250II

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#29 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Love it....you look Marvelous ;)

Good to see ya back Bartie!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#30 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

You look mahhhhvalous!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

β€œThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

β€œOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: