8 replies to this topic

#1 maximoo

maximoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

While in Publix I discovered AGAINST THE GRAIN gourmet pizza for $9.99. Rather pricey I thought but it was a full size small pizza so I took the plunge n bought it for my DD. the crust was kinda thick n it was scattered with about 9-10 pepperoni slices. It looked pretty good, decent amt of cheese.
VERDICT: has a weird taste! Thought it was the cheese but DD said no its the crust. She took 1 bite n did not like it. Damn! I can tolerate it so I'll eat it 2mrw. Can't let $10 go to waste!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

I understand the not letting it go to waste thing, I am the same way.  I recently had to throw away some Udi's chocolate chia muffins because they were horrible, even my husband wouldn't eat them and he will eat things like that usually.  Against the grain is grain free and does have kind of an earthy taste to it.  I like it, but I can see how a kid would turn their nose up at it.  Mellow Mushroom uses their crusts, FYI.  But maybe with more toppings piled on, the crust wouldn't shine through as much.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

I haven't tried Against The Grain pizza, but I eat their rosemary baguettes all the time. I did not like them at first, but I love them now (but only toasted). They are great when sliced lengthwise and broiled with cheddar cheese on top. Or when sliced into little rounds and toasted, then topped with fresh basil, tomato, mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar.

Have you tried the Schar shelf-stable pizza crusts? They come two per box and cost about $8. I've only found them in a few places, though, which is probably good because I'd eat them way too often if I could find them locally. They are pre-cooked, so all you have to do it throw on some sauce and whatever toppings you want, then bake for about ten minutes just to melt the cheese. It's fairly cost-effective, as gluten-free pizzas go. The taste and consistency are great.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#4 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:57 AM

greenbeenie we tried shar a few yrs ago. Kids did not like it at all. Unless they'v improved it, not gonna retry it.  My DS will eat Udi's pizza crust, and DD used to but she won't anymore.

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

greenbeenie we tried shar a few yrs ago. Kids did not like it at all. Unless they'v improved it, not gonna retry it.  My DS will eat Udi's pizza crust, and DD used to but she won't anymore.

Against the Grain and Schar use a lot of tapioca.  It may be that you don't like that?  I think Udi's is more of a rice based?    

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

i use udi's and am resigned to the fact that i will *never* find the perfect (nj substitute) pizza :(  but i also use the udi's for a gyro crust (instead of pita, i cut it in half and load it up and fold it)  also, i am craving a calzone - there has got to be a way to fold that sucker to fake a calzone crust....

i don't like it 'tapioca-y' either.  

lauratx - what was the brand you found at kroger (it's not at mine - boo!) that you liked?  i was going to request it at mine (and then hate it LOLZ probably)   ^_^

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#7 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Against the Grain is the only pizza that my kids will touch.  We used to eat "fancy" pizzas pre-DX, though.  So they weren't raised on delivery pizzas with pepperoni.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

lauratx - what was the brand you found at kroger (it's not at mine - boo!) that you liked?  i was going to request it at mine (and then hate it LOLZ probably)   ^_^

The brand at Kroger was Russo's gluten-free pizza.  Here is their product page: http://nypizzeria.com/retail.php  So So So Sooo good!  Lots of fat, but hey, its pizza and it tastes good. LOL

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#9 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

The brand at Kroger was Russo's gluten-free pizza.  Here is their product page: http://nypizzeria.com/retail.php  So So So Sooo good!  Lots of fat, but hey, its pizza and it tastes good. LOL

thank you :) fat is good for me.  and pizza (o lookie, it says NYpizzeria :)  maybe i will get lucky!)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: